Re: PHP closing tag inside commented out code stops highlighting

  • t_cosmas
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
      Inserting a space between the "?" and ">" works to stop EP from recognizing the ?> as the end of the PHP statement. I wonder if the PHP processor would also stop at the ?> in the Example instead of seeing it as a part of a comment??

      === Rewritten Code ===

      <?php
      /*

      Example:
      <?php echo 'Hello world!'; ? > <= Added space prevents premature comment end!

      This test is still a part of the comment and should continue being green (the comment color). However it shows up as black or whatnot (normal text).

      */
      ?>

      === End Code ===
      --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Viper007Bond" <yahoo@...> wrote:

      > This code breaks EditPlus' highlighting:
      >

      > <?php
      > /*
      >
      > Example:
      > <?php echo 'Hello world!'; ?>
      >
      > This test is still a part of the comment and should continue being green (the comment color). However it shows up as black or whatnot (normal text).
      >
      > */
      > ?>
      >

      > Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

    • Bronius Motekaitis
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
        Has anyone confirmed that this is valid php syntax? That php itself will
        put precedence to /* block comments */ over <?php tags?

        --
        http://www.bcswebstudio.com
        kiosk | web | drupal development

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
          Viper007Bond wrote:

          > This code breaks EditPlus' highlighting:

          The problem is that EditPlus does not properly handle nested comments,
          or in your example, nested script tags. It is the first "?>" that
          breaks it out from the "script" mode and turns the rest of the text into
          "regular" content.

          dZ.
        • Daniel Gibby
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
            As far as the PHP parser is concerned, it is fine syntax to put a comment
            around as much PHP and other mixed code as you want.

            If it is any consolation, I haven't seen other editors parse it correctly
            all the time.

            Daniel

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
              Daniel Gibby wrote:
              > As far as the PHP parser is concerned, it is fine syntax to put a comment
              > around as much PHP and other mixed code as you want.

              I thought that the PHP pre-processor parses the out the script blocks
              from the code, and then sends that to the parser. If this is the case,
              then the comment encasing the inner "<? ?>" would be ignored by the
              pre-processor.

              dZ.
            • Daniel Gibby
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
                All I know is that it works. Whether it is a pre-parser or a parser is
                potatoe or potahtoe to me.

                With the following, you'd have no output, that's all I remember. Whether or
                not the call to something_maybe_or_not.php gets parsed and included and then
                ignored isn't something I've tested. But I have seen it ignored at least.

                <?php
                /*
                bunchof stuff
                ?>other stuff
                <?php // more stuff
                include('something_maybe _or_not.php');
                ?> even more
                <?php
                */
                ?>

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
                  Daniel Gibby wrote:
                  > All I know is that it works. Whether it is a pre-parser or a parser is
                  > potatoe or potahtoe to me.
                  >
                  > With the following, you'd have no output, that's all I remember. Whether or
                  > not the call to something_maybe_or_not.php gets parsed and included and then
                  > ignored isn't something I've tested. But I have seen it ignored at least.
                  >
                  > <?php
                  > /*
                  > bunchof stuff
                  > ?>other stuff
                  > <?php // more stuff
                  > include('something_maybe _or_not.php');
                  > ?> even more
                  > <?php
                  > */
                  > ?>

                  That code is different than the first one posted, which had nested code
                  blocks.

                  In any case, it is irrelevant because, as I said before, EditPlus does
                  not handle nested comments or script blocks. It is indeed a limitation
                  of the application, but it has been like that forever.

                  I suggest you send a bug report or feature request to Sangil Kim.

                  dZ.
                • Daniel Gibby
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
                    On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 12:21 PM, DZ-Jay <dz@...> wrote:

                    > Daniel Gibby wrote:
                    > >
                    > > <?php
                    > > /*
                    > > bunchof stuff
                    > > ?>other stuff
                    > > <?php // more stuff
                    > > include('something_maybe _or_not.php');
                    > > ?> even more
                    > > <?php
                    > > */
                    > > ?>
                    > >

                    > That code is different than the first one posted, which had nested code
                    > blocks.
                    >
                    > In any case, it is irrelevant because, as I said before, EditPlus does
                    > not handle nested comments or script blocks. It is indeed a limitation
                    > of the application, but it has been like that forever.
                    >
                    > I suggest you send a bug report or feature request to Sangil Kim.
                    >
                    > dZ.

                    I'm guessing that the this example is actually what the original poster
                    meant, he just left out some of the closing PHP tags.

                    There is a PHP block nested within the comment in either case, it is just
                    that one would be valid PHP syntax if you took away the comment and the
                    other wouldn't.

                    I think PHP handles either one the same way though. It just ignores
                    everything until it finds a closing */ within some PHP block somewhere.
                    As far as EditPlus handling it, I agree, seems like a feature request to
                    me...

                    Daniel

                  • Toft Stade
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
                      "seems like a feature request to
                      me..."

                      Seems like abug to me but as mentioned earlier it's been like this
                      forever. Happens with javascript, asp and other languages too.
                      I usually just ignore it or put in another fake comment to fix
                      highlighting.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
                        Toft Stade wrote:

                        > "seems like a feature request to
                        > me..."
                        >
                        > Seems like abug to me but as mentioned earlier it's been like this
                        > forever. Happens with javascript, asp and other languages too.
                        > I usually just ignore it or put in another fake comment to fix
                        > highlighting.

                        To be sure, it is a bug: EditPlus does not handle nested structures
                        which are valid within their own language definitions.