Re: [edit+] Feature request : Close other tabs keeping more than one

  • gingko_fr
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2010
      --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, DZ-Jay <dz@...> wrote:

      > Here's a quick and dirty work-around:
      > 1. Open up the Window List (F11).
      > 2. Drag+Select (SHIFT+ARROW) the list of windows you want to close
      > 3. Click the "Close Window(s)" button (ALT+C).
      >
      > dZ.

      Hello

      After some tries, I think now that this is not as practical as it could
      be, because it allows only closing of selected windows, whereas my
      request was about closing windows except some selected ones.

      So I think that the "windows list" dialog would need at least
      one of the following additions:

      * A button for closing unselected windows, and/or
      * A button for inverting the current selection.

      Gingko

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2010
        gingko_fr wrote:

        > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com <mailto:editplus%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > DZ-Jay <dz@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Here's a quick and dirty work-around:
        > > 1. Open up the Window List (F11).
        > > 2. Drag+Select (SHIFT+ARROW) the list of windows you want to close
        > > 3. Click the "Close Window(s)" button (ALT+C).
        > >
        > > dZ.
        >
        > Hello
        >
        > After some tries, I think now that this is not as practical as it could
        > be, because it allows only closing of selected windows, whereas my
        > request was about closing windows except some selected ones.

        As mentioned in my comment, what I offered was a "work-around" to allow
        you to close more than one window at a time, in spite of the
        functionality you wanted not being available. I never suggested it to
        be a replacement for your request.

        Your request has merit, but until such time comes when it is finally
        implemented (if indeed it ever is), it's all you have. That, or closing
        windows one at a time.

        dZ.
      • efliers@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2010
          Hit F11 and then hit CTL+A to select all. Then, while holding the control key, select all the ones you want to keep open. That will deselect all the items you want to keep open.
          --
          Randy

          --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "gingko_fr" <ldiff001@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I would like to add a feature request to EditPlus :
          >
          > As it is very common (at least for me) to have many text windows opened at the same time, I would like to be able to close most of them, keeping only the ones on which I still need to work.
          >
          > Of course there is already a "Close Others" context menu item that I can use by right-clicking on the tab of the document that I want to keep.
          >
          > But this only allows keeping ONE document. I would like to be able to keep more than one.
          >
          > That's why I suggest adding two more commands to the tab's context menu item :
          > (1) Close right (tabs or windows or documents)
          > (2) Close left (tabs or windows or documents)
          >
          > By using these commands, all documents located on the right or on the left of the current ones, from the tabs point of view, would be closed, leaving all other documents open.
          >
          > As it is already possible do move documents on the tab bar by dragging them, this would make easy to organize a group of documents to keep open, and next using one of these two commands for closing all other documents.
          >
          > Gingko

        • agentsamfin
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3, 2010
            Hi,

            As far as I can tell, CTRL+A doesn't work in the "Window List".
            At least not on Windows XP. Perhaps the native windows list control
            has been enhanced to support CTRL+A on Windows Vista or Windows 7?
            I wouldn't know... But, there is yet another workaround.

            HOW TO CLOSE ALL EXCEPT SELECTED WINDOWS

            - Hit F11 to open the "Window List".
            - Hit HOME, SHIFT+END, to select everything on the list.
            - Now, click CTRL+LEFT MOUSE BUTTON to deselect the documents you wish
            to keep open.
            - Click "Close Windows" (or just ALT+C).

            MY THOUGHTS ABOUT THE DOCUMENT SELECTOR

            I personally never keep the "Document Selector" visible, because it
            isn't very useful to see the document selector tabs when you have
            50-100 documents open at the same time - the tabs just take up
            valuable screen estate.

            I recommend using the "Window List" and the "Find in Files" features
            instead.

            --
            Sam

            --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "efliers@..." <efliers@...> wrote:

            > Hit F11 and then hit CTL+A to select all. Then, while holding the control
            > key, select all the ones you want to keep open. That will deselect all the
            > items you want to keep open.
            > --
            > Randy
          • Aleem Juma
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2010
              just tried it. ctrl-a works in the window list on winxp, ep v3.12 (531)