Feature request : Close other tabs keeping more than one

  • gingko_fr
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 27, 2010
      Hello,

      I would like to add a feature request to EditPlus :

      As it is very common (at least for me) to have many text windows opened at the same time, I would like to be able to close most of them, keeping only the ones on which I still need to work.

      Of course there is already a "Close Others" context menu item that I can use by right-clicking on the tab of the document that I want to keep.

      But this only allows keeping ONE document. I would like to be able to keep more than one.

      That's why I suggest adding two more commands to the tab's context menu item :
      (1) Close right (tabs or windows or documents)
      (2) Close left (tabs or windows or documents)

      By using these commands, all documents located on the right or on the left of the current ones, from the tabs point of view, would be closed, leaving all other documents open.

      As it is already possible do move documents on the tab bar by dragging them, this would make easy to organize a group of documents to keep open, and next using one of these two commands for closing all other documents.

      Gingko
    • Daniel Gibby
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 27, 2010
        I like this feature request. I would use it. I currently have EditPlus open
        with 21 documents open. They are all pretty much not related to each other,
        and are there as reminders to me of things I need to do, or that I work on
        from time to time. When I open new things, they automatically are added on
        the right, and usually I want to close those before the others since the
        others are kind of always open. A Close Right command would close them all
        at once.

        Closing multiple documents at once becomes more organized if you put your
        documents into a project and then close the project when you are done with
        it, but it isn't so easy to setup the projects with the documents all in the
        right order, and it is even harder to categorize everything I'm working on
        into projects. Adding a Close Right and Close Left would help when I haven't
        put everything into projects.

        Thanks,
        Daniel

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 27, 2010
          gingko_fr wrote:
          > That's why I suggest adding two more commands to the tab's context menu
          > item :
          > (1) Close right (tabs or windows or documents)
          > (2) Close left (tabs or windows or documents)

          Here's a quick and dirty work-around:
          1. Open up the Window List (F11).
          2. Drag+Select (SHIFT+ARROW) the list of windows you want to close
          3. Click the "Close Window(s)" button (ALT+C).

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 27, 2010
            DZ-Jay wrote:
            > gingko_fr wrote:
            > > That's why I suggest adding two more commands to the tab's context menu
            > > item :
            > > (1) Close right (tabs or windows or documents)
            > > (2) Close left (tabs or windows or documents)
            >
            > Here's a quick and dirty work-around:
            > 1. Open up the Window List (F11).
            > 2. Drag+Select (SHIFT+ARROW) the list of windows you want to close
            > 3. Click the "Close Window(s)" button (ALT+C).

            I forgot to mention that one of the nifty things about the Window List
            is that the active window is hightlighted, so you can SHIFT+PAGEUP or
            SHIFT+PAGEDOWN from there to select and close to the left or right of
            the active window.

            dZ.
          • Daniel Gibby
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 27, 2010
              Related to the Window List:
              That is a pretty sweet feature that I didn't know of, and will make it
              easier to manage documents.
              Is there a shortcut button to the window list that can be added to the icon
              bar? I don't see one. I think if that was there, more people would remember
              the feature.

              Now that I know that the Window List is available with those features on it,
              I think it would be pretty easy to add the Close Right and Close Left
              commands. It seems there is code structure in more than one area that could
              be used to implement the new feature (you could also loop through the tabs
              somehow I'm sure).

              I still would find Close Right and Close Left useful.

              Daniel

              On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:35 AM, DZ-Jay <dz@...> wrote:

              > DZ-Jay wrote:
              > > gingko_fr wrote:
              > > > That's why I suggest adding two more commands to the tab's context menu
              > > > item :
              > > > (1) Close right (tabs or windows or documents)
              > > > (2) Close left (tabs or windows or documents)
              > >
              > > Here's a quick and dirty work-around:
              > > 1. Open up the Window List (F11).
              > > 2. Drag+Select (SHIFT+ARROW) the list of windows you want to close
              > > 3. Click the "Close Window(s)" button (ALT+C).
              > >

              > I forgot to mention that one of the nifty things about the Window List
              > is that the active window is hightlighted, so you can SHIFT+PAGEUP or
              > SHIFT+PAGEDOWN from there to select and close to the left or right of
              > the active window.

            • gingko_fr
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 30, 2010
                --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, DZ-Jay <dz@...> wrote:

                > Here's a quick and dirty work-around:
                > 1. Open up the Window List (F11).
                > 2. Drag+Select (SHIFT+ARROW) the list of windows you want to close
                > 3. Click the "Close Window(s)" button (ALT+C).
                >
                > dZ.

                Hello,

                I didn't know that feature either.

                Thank you very much for your reply.

                My feature request is still valid (such commands would be probably faster anyway), but I have to experiment a little this one in order to see how they are practical.

                Gingko
              • gingko_fr
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 2, 2010
                  --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, DZ-Jay <dz@...> wrote:

                  > Here's a quick and dirty work-around:
                  > 1. Open up the Window List (F11).
                  > 2. Drag+Select (SHIFT+ARROW) the list of windows you want to close
                  > 3. Click the "Close Window(s)" button (ALT+C).
                  >
                  > dZ.

                  Hello

                  After some tries, I think now that this is not as practical as it could
                  be, because it allows only closing of selected windows, whereas my
                  request was about closing windows except some selected ones.

                  So I think that the "windows list" dialog would need at least
                  one of the following additions:

                  * A button for closing unselected windows, and/or
                  * A button for inverting the current selection.

                  Gingko

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 2, 2010
                    gingko_fr wrote:

                    > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com <mailto:editplus%40yahoogroups.com>,
                    > DZ-Jay <dz@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Here's a quick and dirty work-around:
                    > > 1. Open up the Window List (F11).
                    > > 2. Drag+Select (SHIFT+ARROW) the list of windows you want to close
                    > > 3. Click the "Close Window(s)" button (ALT+C).
                    > >
                    > > dZ.
                    >
                    > Hello
                    >
                    > After some tries, I think now that this is not as practical as it could
                    > be, because it allows only closing of selected windows, whereas my
                    > request was about closing windows except some selected ones.

                    As mentioned in my comment, what I offered was a "work-around" to allow
                    you to close more than one window at a time, in spite of the
                    functionality you wanted not being available. I never suggested it to
                    be a replacement for your request.

                    Your request has merit, but until such time comes when it is finally
                    implemented (if indeed it ever is), it's all you have. That, or closing
                    windows one at a time.

                    dZ.
                  • efliers@sbcglobal.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 2, 2010
                      Hit F11 and then hit CTL+A to select all. Then, while holding the control key, select all the ones you want to keep open. That will deselect all the items you want to keep open.
                      --
                      Randy

                      --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "gingko_fr" <ldiff001@...> wrote:

                      > Hello,
                      >
                      > I would like to add a feature request to EditPlus :
                      >
                      > As it is very common (at least for me) to have many text windows opened at the same time, I would like to be able to close most of them, keeping only the ones on which I still need to work.
                      >
                      > Of course there is already a "Close Others" context menu item that I can use by right-clicking on the tab of the document that I want to keep.
                      >
                      > But this only allows keeping ONE document. I would like to be able to keep more than one.
                      >
                      > That's why I suggest adding two more commands to the tab's context menu item :
                      > (1) Close right (tabs or windows or documents)
                      > (2) Close left (tabs or windows or documents)
                      >
                      > By using these commands, all documents located on the right or on the left of the current ones, from the tabs point of view, would be closed, leaving all other documents open.
                      >
                      > As it is already possible do move documents on the tab bar by dragging them, this would make easy to organize a group of documents to keep open, and next using one of these two commands for closing all other documents.
                      >
                      > Gingko

                    • agentsamfin
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 3, 2010
                        Hi,

                        As far as I can tell, CTRL+A doesn't work in the "Window List".
                        At least not on Windows XP. Perhaps the native windows list control
                        has been enhanced to support CTRL+A on Windows Vista or Windows 7?
                        I wouldn't know... But, there is yet another workaround.

                        HOW TO CLOSE ALL EXCEPT SELECTED WINDOWS

                        - Hit F11 to open the "Window List".
                        - Hit HOME, SHIFT+END, to select everything on the list.
                        - Now, click CTRL+LEFT MOUSE BUTTON to deselect the documents you wish
                        to keep open.
                        - Click "Close Windows" (or just ALT+C).

                        MY THOUGHTS ABOUT THE DOCUMENT SELECTOR

                        I personally never keep the "Document Selector" visible, because it
                        isn't very useful to see the document selector tabs when you have
                        50-100 documents open at the same time - the tabs just take up
                        valuable screen estate.

                        I recommend using the "Window List" and the "Find in Files" features
                        instead.

                        --
                        Sam

                        --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "efliers@..." <efliers@...> wrote:

                        > Hit F11 and then hit CTL+A to select all. Then, while holding the control
                        > key, select all the ones you want to keep open. That will deselect all the
                        > items you want to keep open.
                        > --
                        > Randy
                      • Aleem Juma
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 3, 2010
                          just tried it. ctrl-a works in the window list on winxp, ep v3.12 (531)