php

  • jomacot09
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2009
      Hi There,

      I am running a licensed version of Edit Plus V3.11 and would like to see the browser view of the php pages I am editing but all I get is the same view of the code when I press Ctrl+B yet when I am editing html pages I get the web view of the page.

      Is there any way I can get the web view of php pages? or am I doing something wrong here.

      Regards
    • Tom Ditmars
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2009
        On 05-Dec-09 05:51, jomacot09 wrote:
        > Hi There,
        >
        > I am running a licensed version of Edit Plus V3.11 and would like to
        > see the browser view of the php pages I am editing but all I get is
        > the same view of the code when I press Ctrl+B yet when I am editing
        > html pages I get the web view of the page.
        >
        > Is there any way I can get the web view of php pages? or am I doing
        > something wrong here.
        >
        > Regards

        PHP is run on a server to generate HTML that a browser can read; you
        can't view the individual page as HTML. Make sure your local PHP server
        is configured properly and just load it up in your browser to make sure
        the page is working.

        Edit Plus attempts to interpret the raw code as HTML but without the PHP
        server to translate the script and includes, you won't get anything useful.
        Tom Ditmars zarggg [at] zarggg [dot] net KeyID: 0xBB48FA7D
      • John
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2009
          Thanks Tom,

          I'm a bit new to all of this so it's taking me a while to sort it out.

          I've installed IIS but I still need to sort out how to configure it.

          Regards,

          John.

          _____

          > I am running a licensed version of Edit Plus V3.11 and would like to
          > see the browser view of the php pages I am editing but all I get is
          > the same view of the code when I press Ctrl+B yet when I am editing
          > html pages I get the web view of the page.
          >
          > Is there any way I can get the web view of php pages? or am I doing
          > something wrong here.
          >
          > Regards

          PHP is run on a server to generate HTML that a browser can read; you
          can't view the individual page as HTML. Make sure your local PHP server
          is configured properly and just load it up in your browser to make sure
          the page is working.

          Edit Plus attempts to interpret the raw code as HTML but without the PHP
          server to translate the script and includes, you won't get anything useful.
          08:13:00

        • Bronius Motekaitis
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2009
            John-
            Whether your running your webserver locally in development (likely
            localhost) or remotely (some domain), you can easily edit the source php
            files in edit plus both as local files (when working with localhost) or over
            ftp. For FTP remote files, when you hit CTRL-B, rather than the default
            behavior (open "the file" in the default browser), you will be prompted for
            a url that represents the saved file as served from the server.

            In the latter case, editing a file like "test.php" when you hit CTRLB, you
            might be prompted to enter "http://www.somedomain.com/test.php".

            EditPlus is not doing anything here but making an association between your
            local (or remote) file name and calling a browser now associated with that
            tab as some remote file.

            How you set that up for locally run files, I don't know.. Probably not hard?
            but I don't know.

            Quick note: if you're not editing remote files, the simplest setup for
            Windows is WAMP. A single install will give you Apache, MySQL, and PHP for
            Windows. You get a default server at http://localhost/

            -Bronius

            On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 3:26 AM, John <jomacot09@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Tom,
            >
            > I'm a bit new to all of this so it's taking me a while to sort it out.
            >
            > I've installed IIS but I still need to sort out how to configure it.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > John.
            >
            > _____

            http://www.bcswebstudio.com
            web | drupal cms development

              Whether your running your webserver locally in development (likely
              localhost) or remotely (some domain), you can easily edit the source php
              files in edit plus both as local files (when working with localhost) or over
              ftp. For FTP remote files, when you hit CTRL-B, rather than the default
              behavior (open "the file" in the default browser), you will be prompted for
              a url that represents the saved file as served from the server.

              In the latter case, editing a file like "test.php" when you hit CTRLB, you
              might be prompted to enter "http://www.somedomain.com/test.php".

              EditPlus is not doing anything here but making an association between your
              local (or remote) file name and calling a browser now associated with that
              tab as some remote file.

              How you set that up for locally run files, I don't know.. Probably not hard?
              but I don't know.

              Quick note: if you're not editing remote files, the simplest setup for
              Windows is WAMP. A single install will give you Apache, MySQL, and PHP for
              Windows. You get a default server at http://localhost/

              -Bronius

              On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 3:26 AM, John <jomacot09@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Tom,
              >
              > I'm a bit new to all of this so it's taking me a while to sort it out.
              >
              > I've installed IIS but I still need to sort out how to configure it.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > John.
              >
              > _____

            • Peter Anderson
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 7, 2009
                I agree with Bronius! I have tried most of the ?AMP type local servers for
                the Windows environment and keep coming back to XAMP. My typical development
                environment is:

                - XAMP for the Apache, MySQL and PHP server
                - Firefox (and occasionally IE8) as the browser
                - Servant Salamander 1.52 (free version), a two pane file manager
                available from here <http://www.altap.cz/ftp/salamand/salam152.zip>
                - [xplorer´┐Ż] free version (available from
                here<http://zabkat.com/x2lite.htm>)
                is a very good alternative
                - A two pane file manager means in one page I can view my local "Dev"
                environment (C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\My
                Documents\Dev\...\page1.php)
                while in the other pane I can see my local webserver or "Production"
                environment (C:\xampp\htdocs\home_page\page1.php which in a browser is
                http://localhost/page1.php)
                - The two pane file manager does the same job as say FileZilla FTP
                software if accessing a remote website.
                - EditPlus as the text editor
                - Use existing and custom developed Clip Libraries to make coding more
                productive
                - Who needs cumbersome IDEs

                Happy to explain more, but I find this a very good PHP/Web development
                environment. I purchased RapidPHP (a PHP IDE environment) thinking it would
                be a better option but after several months trying switched back to EditPlus
                and the above environment - its all quite simple and easy to use.

                Regards,
                Peter

                2009/12/7 <CyrusLV@...>

                > I have XAMPP installed (Apache, MySQL, & PHP) too and recommend it also.
                >
                > http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
                >

                > Quick note: if you're not editing remote files, the simplest setup for
                > Windows is WAMP. A single install will give you Apache, MySQL, and PHP for
                > Windows. You get a default server at http://localhost/
                >
                > -Bronius

                There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct,
                or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction
                of a new order of things -- Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince, ch. 6