feature request: document auto reload, interval

  • Bronius Motekaitis
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 29, 2009
      Would anyone else out there see enough value in an automatic document reload
      function to warrant a feature request? It would help when ssh/cli is not
      enabled at a host, and you wish to "tail -f" a log file. Currently, you
      have to manually reload (ALT+D, E), but this would allow you to specify and
      interval and just have the document auto-reload.

      --
      http://www.bcswebstudio.com
      web | drupal cms development

    • mljones1947
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 30, 2009
        I rarely edit documents that change while EP has focus, so it wouldn't be a priority for me. I do use the "Check file modification when activated" switch, however.

        Based on your previous post, it seems that you're monitoring log files. There's already a timer in EP for auto-saving files, plus code for checking for changes when EP is activated, so it doesn't seem that tying the two together to automatically fresh files on a timer rather than on activation would add much bloat.

        > Would anyone else out there see enough value in an automatic document reload
        > function to warrant a feature request? It would help when ssh/cli is not
        > enabled at a host, and you wish to "tail -f" a log file. Currently, you
        > have to manually reload (ALT+D, E), but this would allow you to specify and
        > interval and just have the document auto-reload.
        >
        > --
        > http://www.bcswebstudio.com
        > web | drupal cms development

      • Bronius Motekaitis
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 30, 2009
          Thanks for the insight, Michael- I look forward to hearing others'
          editor that supports opening remote files. If it weren't for the
          remote file load, I wouldn't be turning to this tool for log viewing.

          On 10/30/09, mljones1947 <mljones1947@...> wrote:
          > I rarely edit documents that change while EP has focus, so it wouldn't be a
          > priority for me. I do use the "Check file modification when activated"
          > switch, however.
          >
          > Based on your previous post, it seems that you're monitoring log files.
          > There's already a timer in EP for auto-saving files, plus code for checking
          > for changes when EP is activated, so it doesn't seem that tying the two
          > together to automatically fresh files on a timer rather than on activation
          > would add much bloat.

          > wrote:
          >>
          >> Would anyone else out there see enough value in an automatic document
          >> reload
          >> function to warrant a feature request? It would help when ssh/cli is not
          >> enabled at a host, and you wish to "tail -f" a log file. Currently, you
          >> have to manually reload (ALT+D, E), but this would allow you to specify
          >> and
          >> interval and just have the document auto-reload.
          >>
          >> --
          >> http://www.bcswebstudio.com
          >> web | drupal cms development

          http://www.bcswebstudio.com