Re: [edit+] Productivity hint

  • Johan Hartin
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 4, 2009
      Tick 'Working directory follows active document' in Preferences/General.
      Works for me.

      //Johan Hartin

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 4, 2009
        --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, Johan Hartin <johanhartin@...> wrote:

        > Tick 'Working directory follows active document' in Preferences/General.
        > Works for me.
        >
        > //Johan Hartin

        I don't see that choice in any of the Preferences.
        Can you please recheck that?

        Thanks.
      • dz@caribe.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 4, 2009
          <johanhartin@...> wrote:
          >> Tick 'Working directory follows active document'
          in Preferences/General.
          >> Works for me.
          >>
          >> //Johan Hartin

          The option is now the opposite:
          File Open dialog restores previous directory

          Be careful, this option is exactly the opposite as
          the previous one. If you check it, it means that
          EditPlus will use the last directory you used
          whenever you try to open a file.

          Unchecking that option does what the previous one
          did: every time you try to open a file, the directory
          of the currently active document will be used.

          dZ.
        • pja
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 4, 2009
            dz@... wrote:

            > t_cosmas wrote:
            > > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com <mailto:editplus%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > Johan Hartin
            > <johanhartin@...> wrote:
            > >> Tick 'Working directory follows active document'
            > in Preferences/General.
            > >> Works for me.
            > >>
            > >> //Johan Hartin
            >
            > The option is now the opposite:
            > File Open dialog restores previous directory
            >
            > Be careful, this option is exactly the opposite as
            > the previous one. If you check it, it means that
            > EditPlus will use the last directory you used
            > whenever you try to open a file.

            Thanks for the feed back. dz is correct, I presumed it was this setting
            that Johan was talking about.

            I know we all work differently but ticking "File open dialog
            restores..." does not seem to help (ticked or un-ticked). By changing
            the "Places Bar" I have all the common places where I am likely to be
            working on code and documents available in the one spot and its very
            easy to implement.

            Regards,
            Peter
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 5, 2009
              Peter,
              In my case, ticking or unticking the box had no effect until I closed
              all currently opened files and started anew. I admit that the option
              is buggy. I personally have it unticked because I like going back to
              the directory of the active file; however, this doesn't work too well:
              once in a while, it doesn't go to the right directory, but to the
              previous one it had opened; ignoring the directory of the currently
              active document.

              I don't use the option ticked, but I can imagine it being buggy that
              way too. Perhaps we should file a bug report.

              Early bird may get the worm.. but the second mouse gets the cheese.

              On Sep 04, 2009, at 23:11, pja wrote:

              > dz@... wrote:
              >>

              >> t_cosmas wrote:
              >>> --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com <mailto:editplus%40yahoogroups.com>,
              >> Johan Hartin
              >> in Preferences/General.

              >> The option is now the opposite:
              >> File Open dialog restores previous directory
              >>
              >> Be careful, this option is exactly the opposite as
              >> the previous one. If you check it, it means that
              >> EditPlus will use the last directory you used
              >> whenever you try to open a file.
              >>

              > Thanks for the feed back. dz is correct, I presumed it was this
              > setting
              > that Johan was talking about.
              >
              > I know we all work differently but ticking "File open dialog
              > restores..." does not seem to help (ticked or un-ticked). By changing
              > the "Places Bar" I have all the common places where I am likely to be
              > working on code and documents available in the one spot and its very
              > easy to implement.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Peter
            • pja
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5, 2009
                DZ-Jay wrote:

                > Peter,
                > In my case, ticking or unticking the box had no effect until I closed
                > all currently opened files and started anew. I admit that the option
                > is buggy. I personally have it unticked because I like going back to
                > the directory of the active file; however, this doesn't work too well:
                > once in a while, it doesn't go to the right directory, but to the
                > previous one it had opened; ignoring the directory of the currently
                > active document.
                >
                > I don't use the option ticked, but I can imagine it being buggy that
                > way too. Perhaps we should file a bug report.

                DZ,

                Like you I also have the option un-ticked. I think the discussion of
                this option has been a red herring and from my perspective was never a
                solution to what I was trying to do. The ability to change the "Places
                Bar" is much more useful and that's why I posted it.

                I also agree that the "File open dialog..." option seems buggy or at
                best inconsistent in its operation. Do you want me to file a bug report
                (I could ask Sangil to explain what he thought the option should do).

                I would like the following options (in say the "Project" menu):

                1. "Working Directory" so that all file open and save operations are to
                that directory; and
                2. "Change Working Directory" to easily change the Working Directory value.

                This would be unambiguous in its operation. Your thoughts please!

                Regards,
                Peter
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 6, 2009
                  Johan Hartin wrote:

                  > Tick 'Working directory follows active document' in Preferences/General.
                  > Works for me.
                  >
                  > //Johan Hartin

                  Johan (and others),

                  I'm sitting at my computer this morning working through some "Learning
                  PHP" lessons and my exact problem/issue occurred so let me clarify to issue.

                  I tend to use templates (because I'm lazy) so I have a PHP template.
                  When I open a new file I use the PHP template. Then I insert the code
                  and try to save the new file. The EditPlus "Save As" dialogue offers to
                  save the file in:

                  C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\Application Data\EditPlus 3\

                  not

                  C:\xampp\htdocs\dev

                  where I am actually working and despite previous "Save As" operations to
                  the "...\dev" directory.

                  I have the Preferences|General setting "File open dialog restores
                  previous directory" un-ticked.

                  So then I changed the "File open..." setting to "ticked"; closed
                  EditPlus and re-opened it, opened several recent files from "...\dev"
                  and did a "Save As" on these files. Then I opened a new PHP template
                  file and tried a "Save As" operation and to my shock|embarrassment
                  EditPlus offered me the "...\dev" directory - bugger!

                  Looks like I don't know how to use my editor.

                  Regards,
                  Peter