Productivity hint

  • pja
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2009
      Hello all,

      I use EditPlus for just about everything I type (including word
      processing). I have had a problem for quite some time with the way
      working directories are not remembered. For example; I might be coding
      some PHP and using the working directory C:\xampp\htdocs\dev\ - next
      time I go to save a new file EditPlus offers me the C:\Program
      Files\EditPlus\ directory which means I waste a considerable amount of
      time navigating to the PHP working directory. Same applies for other
      "development" or "document" directories. Well I have partially fixed the
      problem by changing the five locations in the Windows "Places Bar" (the
      left-hand column in the "Save As" dialogue. The solution uses a small
      Registry modification. Alternatively, you can use TweakUI to achieve the
      same result. The following URL will take you to the web page with
      details of how to modify the registry.

      http://www.antionline.com/archive/index.php/t-263990.html

      The text of that page follows:

      ----------Start Extract----------

      Would you like to customise the shortcuts displayed in the placebar on
      the left hand side of Window's open/save dialog window?

      Do you have folders for your downloaded files and don't want the Windows
      default placebar offerings?

      Example:
      I like saving downloaded files to either the "Download" or "Temp"
      directory, not MY Desktop, or other silly Windows default choices.

      Step by Step,

      1. Start Regedit
      2. Navigate to

      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\comdlg32\Placesbar
      (If the comdlg32 key does not exist, you need to create it and
      create a subkey under the comdlg32 key named Placesbar)
      3. Right click the rightside panel and create a new STRING value
      entry for every shortcut you want in the Placesbar.
      4. Name them Place0, Place1, Place2, Place3, Place4 (maximum of 5
      shortcuts)
      5. Double-click each newly created string value to set their string
      data to any directory you want. Type out the entire proper path.
      (Example: C:\backup\downloads)
      6. Exit the Registry and try it out by attempting to download
      something, and after you click "Save", your new personal folder
      choices should now appear in the left hand panel.

      As always, remember to perform a registry backup prior to editing the
      registry.

      ----------End Extract----------

      I hope that helps.

      Regards,
      Peter
      --
      *Peter Anderson*
      There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 4, 2009
        Tick 'Working directory follows active document' in Preferences/General.
        Works for me.

        //Johan Hartin

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 4, 2009
          --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, Johan Hartin <johanhartin@...> wrote:

          > Tick 'Working directory follows active document' in Preferences/General.
          > Works for me.
          >
          > //Johan Hartin

          I don't see that choice in any of the Preferences.
          Can you please recheck that?

          Thanks.
        • dz@caribe.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 4, 2009
            <johanhartin@...> wrote:
            >> Tick 'Working directory follows active document'
            in Preferences/General.
            >> Works for me.
            >>
            >> //Johan Hartin

            The option is now the opposite:
            File Open dialog restores previous directory

            Be careful, this option is exactly the opposite as
            the previous one. If you check it, it means that
            EditPlus will use the last directory you used
            whenever you try to open a file.

            Unchecking that option does what the previous one
            did: every time you try to open a file, the directory
            of the currently active document will be used.

            dZ.
          • pja
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4, 2009
              dz@... wrote:

              > t_cosmas wrote:
              > > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com <mailto:editplus%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > Johan Hartin
              > <johanhartin@...> wrote:
              > >> Tick 'Working directory follows active document'
              > in Preferences/General.
              > >> Works for me.
              > >>
              > >> //Johan Hartin
              >
              > The option is now the opposite:
              > File Open dialog restores previous directory
              >
              > Be careful, this option is exactly the opposite as
              > the previous one. If you check it, it means that
              > EditPlus will use the last directory you used
              > whenever you try to open a file.

              Thanks for the feed back. dz is correct, I presumed it was this setting
              that Johan was talking about.

              I know we all work differently but ticking "File open dialog
              restores..." does not seem to help (ticked or un-ticked). By changing
              the "Places Bar" I have all the common places where I am likely to be
              working on code and documents available in the one spot and its very
              easy to implement.

              Regards,
              Peter
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5, 2009
                Peter,
                In my case, ticking or unticking the box had no effect until I closed
                all currently opened files and started anew. I admit that the option
                is buggy. I personally have it unticked because I like going back to
                the directory of the active file; however, this doesn't work too well:
                once in a while, it doesn't go to the right directory, but to the
                previous one it had opened; ignoring the directory of the currently
                active document.

                I don't use the option ticked, but I can imagine it being buggy that
                way too. Perhaps we should file a bug report.

                Early bird may get the worm.. but the second mouse gets the cheese.

                On Sep 04, 2009, at 23:11, pja wrote:

                > dz@... wrote:
                >>

                >> t_cosmas wrote:
                >>> --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com <mailto:editplus%40yahoogroups.com>,
                >> Johan Hartin
                >> in Preferences/General.

                >> The option is now the opposite:
                >> File Open dialog restores previous directory
                >>
                >> Be careful, this option is exactly the opposite as
                >> the previous one. If you check it, it means that
                >> EditPlus will use the last directory you used
                >> whenever you try to open a file.
                >>

                > Thanks for the feed back. dz is correct, I presumed it was this
                > setting
                > that Johan was talking about.
                >
                > I know we all work differently but ticking "File open dialog
                > restores..." does not seem to help (ticked or un-ticked). By changing
                > the "Places Bar" I have all the common places where I am likely to be
                > working on code and documents available in the one spot and its very
                > easy to implement.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Peter
              • pja
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 5, 2009
                  DZ-Jay wrote:

                  > Peter,
                  > In my case, ticking or unticking the box had no effect until I closed
                  > all currently opened files and started anew. I admit that the option
                  > is buggy. I personally have it unticked because I like going back to
                  > the directory of the active file; however, this doesn't work too well:
                  > once in a while, it doesn't go to the right directory, but to the
                  > previous one it had opened; ignoring the directory of the currently
                  > active document.
                  >
                  > I don't use the option ticked, but I can imagine it being buggy that
                  > way too. Perhaps we should file a bug report.

                  DZ,

                  Like you I also have the option un-ticked. I think the discussion of
                  this option has been a red herring and from my perspective was never a
                  solution to what I was trying to do. The ability to change the "Places
                  Bar" is much more useful and that's why I posted it.

                  I also agree that the "File open dialog..." option seems buggy or at
                  best inconsistent in its operation. Do you want me to file a bug report
                  (I could ask Sangil to explain what he thought the option should do).

                  I would like the following options (in say the "Project" menu):

                  1. "Working Directory" so that all file open and save operations are to
                  that directory; and
                  2. "Change Working Directory" to easily change the Working Directory value.

                  This would be unambiguous in its operation. Your thoughts please!

                  Regards,
                  Peter
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 6, 2009
                    Johan Hartin wrote:

                    > Tick 'Working directory follows active document' in Preferences/General.
                    > Works for me.
                    >
                    > //Johan Hartin

                    Johan (and others),

                    I'm sitting at my computer this morning working through some "Learning
                    PHP" lessons and my exact problem/issue occurred so let me clarify to issue.

                    I tend to use templates (because I'm lazy) so I have a PHP template.
                    When I open a new file I use the PHP template. Then I insert the code
                    and try to save the new file. The EditPlus "Save As" dialogue offers to
                    save the file in:

                    C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\Application Data\EditPlus 3\

                    not

                    C:\xampp\htdocs\dev

                    where I am actually working and despite previous "Save As" operations to
                    the "...\dev" directory.

                    I have the Preferences|General setting "File open dialog restores
                    previous directory" un-ticked.

                    So then I changed the "File open..." setting to "ticked"; closed
                    EditPlus and re-opened it, opened several recent files from "...\dev"
                    and did a "Save As" on these files. Then I opened a new PHP template
                    file and tried a "Save As" operation and to my shock|embarrassment
                    EditPlus offered me the "...\dev" directory - bugger!

                    Looks like I don't know how to use my editor.

                    Regards,
                    Peter