Re: [edit+] php dbl-click to select variable

  • tc_online2000
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 30, 2009
      So, I take it the answer to this is "no way, no how"...

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2009
        On Jun 26, 2009, at 14:17, Stitch wrote:

        > The dollar sign is not, and was not, on the #DELIMITER line. I've run
        > into this slight issue myself and sure would like the $ to be picked
        > up too.
        >
        > Any other ideas/suggestions?

        Yes, it's probably in one of the PREFIX line. Can you post your stx
        file?

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2009
          What? No, the answer is yes, but you'll have to forgo syntax
          highlighting of variables prefixed by "$". As I said before, you
          either treat the "$" symbol specially, or you don't. EditPlus does
          cannot do it "sometimes".

          War is peace. Equity is slavery. Credit is strength. For Your
          Convenience.
          -- The Ministry of Truth

          On Jul 01, 2009, at 02:16, tc_online2000 wrote:

          > So, I take it the answer to this is "no way, no how"...
        • Stitch
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2009
            On Wednesday, July 01, 2009 at 5:25 AM you wrote:

            > On Jun 26, 2009, at 14:17, Stitch wrote:

            >> The dollar sign is not, and was not, on the #DELIMITER line. I've run
            >> into this slight issue myself and sure would like the $ to be picked
            >> up too.

            > Yes, it's probably in one of the PREFIX line. Can you post your stx
            > file?

            It is on the #PREFIX3 line by itself. I've not seen any mention of
            changing the prefix line(s) however.

            Dave
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 1, 2009
              On Jul 01, 2009, at 05:37, Stitch wrote:

              > On Wednesday, July 01, 2009 at 5:25 AM you wrote:
              >
              >> On Jun 26, 2009, at 14:17, Stitch wrote:
              >
              >>> The dollar sign is not, and was not, on the #DELIMITER line. I've
              >>> run
              >>> into this slight issue myself and sure would like the $ to be picked
              >>> up too.
              >
              >> Yes, it's probably in one of the PREFIX line. Can you post your stx
              >> file?
              >
              > It is on the #PREFIX3 line by itself. I've not seen any mention of
              > changing the prefix line(s) however.

              I kindly refer you to my post from June 27, 2009 06:27:17 EDT:

              > Being under the KEYWORD list is harmless, since it means it will be
              > highlighted when encountered by itself, that is, surrounded by word
              > delimiters or prefixes/suffixes.
              >
              > As for the PREFIX, however, you have a decision to make: Removing the
              > "$" from the PREFIX line will prevent you from highlighting variable
              > names in your files. You can either have syntax highlighting for
              > variables, in which case the "$" symbol won't form part of the
              > variable name, and thus it won't be selected when double-clicking the
              > name; or you can forgo highlighting and allow the "$" symbol to be
              > treated as part of a word.
              >
              > Either way, understand that this is by design. The point is that the
              > symbol is either a special character or not, EditPlus cannot have it
              > both ways.

              Perhaps it was not clear, but my intention was to say this:

              Option 1: Remove "$" from PREFIX line and forgo syntax highlighting of
              variables, but allow selection of "$" as part of word

              Option 2: Keep "$" in PREFIX line to allow syntax highlighting of
              variables, and forgo inclusion of "$" as part of the selected word.

              The PREFIX line defines a string which, when encountered, will cause
              the syntax-highlighting engine to highlight the following word. By
              virtue of this special treatment, it is thus treated as a "word"
              delimiter. Hence the two options, either treat it as a word delimiter
              for the sake of syntax-highlighting, or not.

              This is very much by design, as the "$" symbol (and others like it)
              are just that, prefixes or "flag-posts" to identify terms, not
              essentially part of the variable name.

              For more information, please check out the Syntax Highlighting section
              in the Help file.

              dZ.
            • tc_online2000
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 1, 2009
                Ok, that's clearer. I commented out the line "#PREFIX3=$" and that gives me the desired effect. The '$' is a required part of php variable names and this makes cutting-n-pasting, and therefore life, easier.

                Some syntax hilighting is lost, but that's less of a concern.
              • kdawg
                Message 7 of 12 , May 26, 2011
                  DZ-Jay,

                  I understand the logic behind this issue, but I was wondering if anyone has requested another option/enhancement to allow a prefix character to NOT be a word delimiter. Would be nice if a character could be specified for syntax highlighting purposes but still be included in a double-click when selecting text. Seem like it would be possible to make that an option, although I have no idea how much complication that would introduce into the editors code.

                  I have sent several comments/requests into EditPlus myself and I intend to send in a comment on this issue unless someone already has.

                  Thanks,
                  Keith