Network Drive names

  • Leigh Giles
    Message 1 of 10 , May 13, 2009
      G'day,

      Is there a way to display the names of network drives?

      I am using editplusv3.10(193)

      Thanks
    • Michael L. Jones
      Message 2 of 10 , May 14, 2009
        --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Leigh Giles" <leighgiles@...> wrote:

        > G'day,
        >
        > Is there a way to display the names of network drives?
        >
        > I am using editplusv3.10(193)
        >
        > Thanks

        I'm not sure what you mean by "name." The share names, the names given to the shared folders on each server, are currently displayed. The format varies between the Directory window, the File Open dialog box and the title bar, but the share name is always there.
      • Leigh Giles
        Message 3 of 10 , May 14, 2009
          --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Michael L. Jones" <mljones1947@...> wrote:

          > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Leigh Giles" <leighgiles@> wrote:
          > >
          > > G'day,
          > >
          > > Is there a way to display the names of network drives?
          > >
          > > I am using editplusv3.10(193)
          > >
          > > Thanks
          >
          > I'm not sure what you mean by "name." The share names, the names given to the shared folders on each server, are currently displayed. The format varies between the Directory window, the File Open dialog box and the title bar, but the share name is always there.

          Thanks for the reply

          In the Directory drop down box I would like to see

          H: username on servername
          G: directory1 on server2

          etc

          at the moment I only see

          [H:]
          [G:]

          Leigh
        • Michael L. Jones
          Message 4 of 10 , May 15, 2009
            --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Leigh Giles" <leighgiles@...> wrote:

            > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Michael L. Jones" <mljones1947@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Leigh Giles" <leighgiles@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > G'day,
            > > >
            > > > Is there a way to display the names of network drives?
            > > >
            > > > I am using editplusv3.10(193)
            > > >
            > > > Thanks
            > >
            > > I'm not sure what you mean by "name." The share names, the names given to the shared folders on each server, are currently displayed. The format varies between the Directory window, the File Open dialog box and the title bar, but the share name is always there.
            > >
            > Thanks for the reply
            >
            > In the Directory drop down box I would like to see
            >
            > H: username on servername
            > G: directory1 on server2
            >
            > etc
            >
            > at the moment I only see
            >
            > [H:]
            > [G:]
            >
            > Leigh

            Yeah, I realized this morning that you were probably talking about mapped drive letters. I haven't mapped network drives in so long that I forgot about them.

            I don't think that that you can get both a drive letter and a share name at the same time. It's a Windows thing, not EditPlus. You can access a network drive either through "My Network Places" (Windows XP, I've never used Vista) and see the share name or through a mapped network drive (G:, H:, etc.), but not both at the same time.
          • Kehvarl
            Message 5 of 10 , May 15, 2009
              If you have mapped drives, try this:
              Open "My Computer"
              Right-click on one of the mapped drives
              Give the drive the name you want.

              I've done this and all my drives show up as "Drive Name (C:)" in the
              File->Open dialog.

              On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 6:55 AM, Michael L. Jones <mljones1947@...>wrote:

              > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Leigh Giles" <leighgiles@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Michael L. Jones" <mljones1947@>
              > wrote:

              > > > I'm not sure what you mean by "name." The share names, the names given
              > to the shared folders on each server, are currently displayed. The format
              > varies between the Directory window, the File Open dialog box and the title
              > bar, but the share name is always there.
              > > >
              > > Thanks for the reply
              > >
              > > In the Directory drop down box I would like to see
              > >
              > > H: username on servername
              > > G: directory1 on server2
              > >
              > > etc
              > >
              > > at the moment I only see
              > >
              > > [H:]
              > > [G:]
              > >
              > > Leigh
              >
              > Yeah, I realized this morning that you were probably talking about mapped
              > drive letters. I haven't mapped network drives in so long that I forgot
              > about them.
              >
              > I don't think that that you can get both a drive letter and a share name at
              > the same time. It's a Windows thing, not EditPlus. You can access a network
              > drive either through "My Network Places" (Windows XP, I've never used Vista)
              > and see the share name or through a mapped network drive (G:, H:, etc.), but
              > not both at the same time.

            • T Cosmas
              Message 6 of 10 , May 20, 2009
                I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for; but it sure is better to me than just seeing ...[I:], [J:]...

                Do a right-click on the field where the drive letter is displayed in the Directory listing and click on "Show Mapped Drive Names".

                Now I see a listing that resembles the following:
                [I:] \\network1\drive1\name1\folder1
                [J:] \\network2\drive2\name2\folder2

                Thanks.

                > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Leigh Giles" <leighgiles@> wrote:
                >
                > G'day,
                >
                > Is there a way to display the names of network drives?
                >
                > I am using editplusv3.10(193)
                >
                > Thanks
              • Leigh Giles
                Message 7 of 10 , May 26, 2009
                  Thanks, I tried that and nothing happened.

                  What you describe is exactly what I am after.

                  It was there in editplus 2 but has disappeared in v3

                  Thanks again
                  Leigh

                  --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "T Cosmas" <t_cosmas@...> wrote:

                  > I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for; but it sure is better to me than just seeing ...[I:], [J:]...
                  >
                  > Do a right-click on the field where the drive letter is displayed in the Directory listing and click on "Show Mapped Drive Names".
                  >
                  > Now I see a listing that resembles the following:
                  > [I:] \\network1\drive1\name1\folder1
                  > [J:] \\network2\drive2\name2\folder2
                  >
                  > Thanks.

                • T Cosmas
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 27, 2009
                    Hi Leigh,

                    Hope that does it!

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 28, 2009
                      On May 20, 2009, at 15:33, T Cosmas wrote:
                      > Do a right-click on the field where the drive letter is displayed in
                      > the Directory listing and click on "Show Mapped Drive Names".

                      Wow, I did not know this one. Thanks!

                      Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.
                    • Leigh Giles
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
                        T Comas,

                        Thanks for your help. I now have Mapped Drives