RE: [edit+] Can FTP in, but not open/edit files

  • bronius motekaitis
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 6, 2009
      M.e. I was going to suggest filezilla just to identify the issue. I suspect the diff lies in ftp vs. Ftp over ssh: in EP, try connecting sFTP (under Advanced in ftp settings).

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 6, 2009
        Hmmm..interesting suggestion. I tried changing to sftp for that user's settings and now it won't connect at all. It tells me "invalid packet size" and then says it cannot change remote directory.

        Is this any kind of clue? (Thanks for jumping in, BTW.)

        > M.e. I was going to suggest filezilla just to identify the issue. I suspect the diff lies in ftp vs. Ftp over ssh: in EP, try connecting sFTP (under Advanced in ftp settings).

      • Bronius Motekaitis
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 6, 2009
          Does Filezilla connect ok? You might try the various ftp types in Filezilla
          and check its logging (pretty sure it has some extensive logging).

          btw, hosts are a dime a dozen: if you can't connect the way you're wanting
          to connect, consider any of a zillion others... my two cents. Not worth the
          heartache if you think you've found one that "seems really friendly" or
          whatever but is impeding your progress.

          On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 10:55 PM, maryellensikes <sikesme@...>wrote:

          > Hmmm..interesting suggestion. I tried changing to sftp for that user's
          > settings and now it won't connect at all. It tells me "invalid packet size"
          > and then says it cannot change remote directory.
          >
          > Is this any kind of clue? (Thanks for jumping in, BTW.)
          >
          > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com <editplus%40yahoogroups.com>, bronius
          > >
          > > M.e. I was going to suggest filezilla just to identify the issue. I
          > suspect the diff lies in ftp vs. Ftp over ssh: in EP, try connecting sFTP
          > (under Advanced in ftp settings).

        • maryellensikes
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 6, 2009
            I'll play with Filezilla and the logs tomorrow and see what jumps out. Today FZ did connect OK, but I didn't go much further because it didn't seem like a good option for my user. Good point about using the logs, though. The hosting issue ... I just moved to this one and - while my site is a breeze - this client's is not. (Databases, subdomains, Drupal, merchant account, the list goes on.) Some problems you don't even know to ask about till you've experienced them ... it never occurred to me I wouldn't be able to use EP as long as I had the ability to create FTP users. I've been using EP for years on probably 7 servers and never run into this kind of brick wall. Thanks for trying to help - I'll let you know if the logs point me in any kind of direction.

            > Does Filezilla connect ok? You might try the various ftp types in Filezilla
            > and check its logging (pretty sure it has some extensive logging).
            >
            > btw, hosts are a dime a dozen: if you can't connect the way you're wanting
            > to connect, consider any of a zillion others... my two cents. Not worth the
            > heartache if you think you've found one that "seems really friendly" or
            > whatever but is impeding your progress.
            >
            > On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 10:55 PM, maryellensikes <sikesme@...>wrote:
            >
            > > Hmmm..interesting suggestion. I tried changing to sftp for that user's
            > > settings and now it won't connect at all. It tells me "invalid packet size"
            > > and then says it cannot change remote directory.
            > >
            > > Is this any kind of clue? (Thanks for jumping in, BTW.)
            > >
            > > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com <editplus%40yahoogroups.com>, bronius
            > > >
            > > > M.e. I was going to suggest filezilla just to identify the issue. I
            > > suspect the diff lies in ftp vs. Ftp over ssh: in EP, try connecting sFTP
            > > (under Advanced in ftp settings).

          • Andrew
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 7, 2009
              I have had issues with ftp in EditPlus as well - awhile ago... Can't
              remember much.

              I ended up using FileZilla and I also like WinSCP http://winscp.net/

              Looks a lot like windows explorer.

              HTH
              Regards,
              Andrew.

              maryellensikes wrote:

              > I'll play with Filezilla and the logs tomorrow and see what jumps out.
              > Today FZ did connect OK, but I didn't go much further because it
              > didn't seem like a good option for my user. Good point about using the
              > logs, though. The hosting issue ... I just moved to this one and -
              > while my site is a breeze - this client's is not. (Databases,
              > subdomains, Drupal, merchant account, the list goes on.) Some problems
              > you don't even know to ask about till you've experienced them ... it
              > never occurred to me I wouldn't be able to use EP as long as I had the
              > ability to create FTP users. I've been using EP for years on probably
              > 7 servers and never run into this kind of brick wall. Thanks for
              > trying to help - I'll let you know if the logs point me in any kind of
              > direction.
              >
              > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com <mailto:editplus%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > >
              > > Does Filezilla connect ok? You might try the various ftp types in
              > Filezilla
              > > and check its logging (pretty sure it has some extensive logging).
              > >
              > > btw, hosts are a dime a dozen: if you can't connect the way you're
              > wanting
              > > to connect, consider any of a zillion others... my two cents. Not
              > worth the
              > > heartache if you think you've found one that "seems really friendly" or
              > > whatever but is impeding your progress.
              > >
              > > On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 10:55 PM, maryellensikes <sikesme@...>wrote:
              > >
              > > > Hmmm..interesting suggestion. I tried changing to sftp for that user's
              > > > settings and now it won't connect at all. It tells me "invalid
              > packet size"
              > > > and then says it cannot change remote directory.
              > > >
              > > > Is this any kind of clue? (Thanks for jumping in, BTW.)
              > > >
              > > > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:editplus%40yahoogroups.com> <editplus%40yahoogroups.com>, bronius

              > > > suspect the diff lies in ftp vs. Ftp over ssh: in EP, try
              > connecting sFTP
              > > > (under Advanced in ftp settings).

            • Bronius Motekaitis
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 7, 2009
                A thought struck me the other night-- your host may be doing some umask
                business and/or making regular-connect ftp users not really those users (or
                something along those lines).

                I used to bang my head against the wall with new SuSE linux installs along
                these lines until I just made (learned?) the policy that life is simpler
                over the sFTP that is FTP over SSH.

                Good luck. Happy to see a fellow drupaler out there :)

                -bronius

              • maryellensikes
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 30, 2009
                  --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, Andrew <mr_aprice@...> wrote:

                  > I have had issues with ftp in EditPlus as well - awhile ago... Can't
                  > remember much.
                  >
                  > I ended up using FileZilla and I also like WinSCP http://winscp.net/

                  It's been a while since I posted this problem, but I'm back at it.

                  I've installed and tried out Filezilla. I can connect to the account fine, just as in EditPlus. I can then download a file and re-upload it without changes. What I can't seem to figure out is how my user would change a file. If I right-click to "edit," either on the server or my hard drive, the file opens as HTML in a browser. I have been trying "view source," but the notepad window that opens will not let me make any changes.

                  How is editing normally supposed to work in Filezilla?

                  (Odd to be asking Filezilla questions on an EditPlus support board, I know ... this was supposed to be a way to troubleshoot.)

                  > Looks a lot like windows explorer.
                  >
                  > HTH
                  > Regards,
                  > Andrew.
                  >
                  > maryellensikes wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I'll play with Filezilla and the logs tomorrow and see what jumps out.
                  > > Today FZ did connect OK, but I didn't go much further because it
                  > > didn't seem like a good option for my user. Good point about using the
                  > > logs, though. The hosting issue ... I just moved to this one and -
                  > > while my site is a breeze - this client's is not. (Databases,
                  > > subdomains, Drupal, merchant account, the list goes on.) Some problems
                  > > you don't even know to ask about till you've experienced them ... it
                  > > never occurred to me I wouldn't be able to use EP as long as I had the
                  > > ability to create FTP users. I've been using EP for years on probably
                  > > 7 servers and never run into this kind of brick wall. Thanks for
                  > > trying to help - I'll let you know if the logs point me in any kind of
                  > > direction.
                  > >
                  > > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com <mailto:editplus%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  > > >
                  > > > Does Filezilla connect ok? You might try the various ftp types in
                  > > Filezilla
                  > > > and check its logging (pretty sure it has some extensive logging).
                  > > >
                  > > > btw, hosts are a dime a dozen: if you can't connect the way you're
                  > > wanting
                  > > > to connect, consider any of a zillion others... my two cents. Not
                  > > worth the
                  > > > heartache if you think you've found one that "seems really friendly" or
                  > > > whatever but is impeding your progress.

                  > > packet size"

                  > > <mailto:editplus%40yahoogroups.com> <editplus%40yahoogroups.com>, bronius

                  > > connecting sFTP

                • timothy_j_stevens
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 11, 2009
                    Replying to this old thread as I'm having similar issues opening files. I can view directory contents with no issues, but am unable to open the files through Edit+, receiving the "Cannot find file or directory" error. I can use FileZilla, but it's nowhere near as convenient as browsing directly in E+. Does anyone know what's up with this issue? I'm using version 3.11.

                    Maryellensikes, I'm hoping by now you've figured out your file association problem in FileZilla, but if not you need to go to Edit -> Settings -> File Editing. You can either click "Use the system's default text editor" or enter a path to a custom one, then click on "Always use default editor."