Re: [edit+] How to configure to use an HTML checker?

  • Kehvarl
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 27, 2009
      Doug,
      It would seem that you could just configure a user tool (Tools ->
      Configure User Tools) set the "Command" field to the complete path to Tidy
      (eg: "c:/Program Files/Tidy/Tidy.exe") and set the "Argument" field to
      $(FilePath). Obviously this would just use the Tidy defaults when running,
      but if you have a config file (example on this page:
      http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/
      ) you could make the commandsomething like: "c:/program
      files/tidy/tidy.exe" -config "c:/program files/tidy/myTidyConfig.cfg".

      Hope that helps.

      On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Douglas Bolt <DBolt@...>wrote:

      > I'm sure this is possible, but a database search here for HTML Checker
      > didn't show me how to configure EDIT so I can run TIDY, or similar
      > HTML checker, on an open html file without having to first save the
      > file and then open it with Firefox, which runs TIDY as an add-on.
      >
      > Thanking you in advance.
      >
      > doug bolt

    • Douglas Bolt
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 27, 2009
        Thanks Kehvarl,

        I may be above my level of expertise here, but I think I've made some
        progress. I installed Tidy and found an example config.cfg file (named
        it my TidyConfig.cfg in your honor) and configured tools with the
        command line as you suggest below. I also added "$(FilePath)" on the
        Argument line (not sure what that does, or if it is desirable for me).
        I made two versions, one to replace and one to make a window. It seems
        to work, although the format doesn't look all that clean.

        Thanks for your suggestions. Although I was hoping to learn how to send
        the file in Edit to W3 much like the add-on in firefox does, your
        approach below may work as well for me once I get used to it.

        Douglas Bolt
        DougandMarie.com
        Beltsville, MD USA

        Kehvarl wrote:

        > Doug,
        > It would seem that you could just configure a user tool (Tools ->
        > Configure User Tools) set the "Command" field to the complete path to Tidy
        > (eg: "c:/Program Files/Tidy/Tidy.exe") and set the "Argument" field to
        > $(FilePath). Obviously this would just use the Tidy defaults when running,
        > but if you have a config file (example on this page:
        > http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/
        > <http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/>
        > ) you could make the commandsomething like: "c:/program
        > files/tidy/tidy.exe" -config "c:/program files/tidy/myTidyConfig.cfg".
        >
        > Hope that helps.
        >
        > On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Douglas Bolt
        > <DBolt@... <mailto:DBolt%40boltassociates.com>>wrote:
        >
        > > I'm sure this is possible, but a database search here for HTML Checker
        > > didn't show me how to configure EDIT so I can run TIDY, or similar
        > > HTML checker, on an open html file without having to first save the
        > > file and then open it with Firefox, which runs TIDY as an add-on.
        > >
        > > Thanking you in advance.
        > >
        > > doug bolt
        > >

        > > ------------------------------------
        > >
        > > http://www.editplus.comYahoo <http://www.editplus.comYahoo>! Groups
        > Links

      • Douglas Bolt
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 27, 2009
          Thanks Michael,

          I'm making progress, thanks to your help on the syntax. I need to do
          some searching to figure out how to prevent Tidy from wiping out my
          formating/indenting, but I am now able to check the HTML from within Edit.

          Douglas Bolt
          DougandMarie.com
          Beltsville, MD USA

          Michael L. Jones wrote:

          > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com <mailto:editplus%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "Douglas Bolt" <DBolt@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm sure this is possible, but a database search here for HTML Checker
          > > didn't show me how to configure EDIT so I can run TIDY, or similar
          > > HTML checker, on an open html file without having to first save the
          > > file and then open it with Firefox, which runs TIDY as an add-on.
          > >
          > > Thanking you in advance.
          > >
          > > doug bolt
          > >

          > For a similar approach, here are my two user tools for HTML Tidy.
          >
          > EditPlus user tool to clean file:
          >
          > Menu text: HTML Tidy - Clean File
          > Command: C:\Program Files\EditPlus 3\Tidy\tidy.exe
          > Argument: -config tidy-clean.cfg "$(FilePath)"
          > Initial: C:\Program Files\EditPlus 3\Tidy
          > Run as text filter (Pick Replace, Output window, or Insert per
          > personal preference)
          >
          > Contents of tidy-clean.cfg is per personal preference.
          >
          > EditPlus user tool to check file without cleaning:
          >
          > Menu text: HTML Tidy - Report Only
          > Command: C:\Program Files\EditPlus 3\Tidy\tidy.exe
          > Argument: -config tidy-reportonly.cfg "$(FilePath)"
          > Initial: C:\Program Files\EditPlus 3\Tidy
          > Capture output
          > Save open files
          >
          > Contents of tidy-reportonly.cfg is per personal preference but should
          > include:
          >
          > // HTML Tidy config file - report only
          > markup: no
          > // EOF

        • knoblockphoto
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 28, 2009
            --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Bolt <DBolt@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Michael,
            >
            > I'm making progress, thanks to your help on the syntax. I need to do
            > some searching to figure out how to prevent Tidy from wiping out my
            > formating/indenting, but I am now able to check the HTML from within
            Edit.

            I had this question also. In the documentation, I discovered this
            behavior is by design.

            "Several people have asked if Tidy could preserve the original layout.
            I am sorry to say that this would be very hard to support due to the
            way Tidy is implemented. Tidy starts by building a clean parse tree
            from the source file. The parse tree doesn't contain any information
            about the original layout. Tidy then pretty prints the parse tree
            using the current layout options. Trying to preserve the original
            layout would interact badly with the repair operations needed to build
            a clean parse tree and considerably complicate the code."
            http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/

            > Douglas Bolt
            > DougandMarie.com
            > Beltsville, MD USA

          • Douglas Bolt
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 28, 2009
              Thanks,

              I see. I suppose I could wait until the file is ready to publish and
              then run it through the regular Tidy and add the better formatting at
              the thend.

              Douglas Bolt
              DougandMarie.com
              Beltsville, MD USA