Formatting of email address in files

  • cyberfunkr
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2009
      I'm not seeing any options to change this so maybe someone else knows
      how to do this. Or if not, put it high on the suggestion list.

      I'm looking at a text file (literally .txt) and anywhere there is a @
      symbol, EditPlus automatically tries converting it to a clickable
      email address.

      There are two problems with this:

      1) Just because there is an @ symbol, doesn't mean it's an email
      address. Especially when I'm not looking at a HTML-themed document.
      Sure, in PERL, PHP, and other HTML-themed documents I could see it
      being useful as a default. But this is a plain text file. I don't want
      to see all that highlighting. Email highlighting should be
      configurable on a "Settings & Syntax" basis. Either on or off.

      2) I'm looking at what EditPlus 'thinks' is an email address, and it's
      letting in WAAAAAY more characters than would ever be allowed. It
      appears to include everything up to a break character (space, tab, or
      return). That means it's including pound (#), dollar signs ($), commas
      (,) and all bracket types. If EditPlus is going to automatically
      highlight things because it thinks it's an email address, then it
      should stop when it encounters any non-legal characters. This can
      either be built-in or user configurable. Plus (+) is one of those
      nebulous characters where it's legal, but not every mail server
      accepts them so it would be best if we could choose what an email
      address is and is not.

      So does this functionality exist yet and I'm just missing it? Or can
      we submit this to Sangil?
    • Aleem Juma
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 9, 2009
        View menu -> URL Highlighting