Connect FTP Account to Project?

  • major4579
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2009
      Is there a way to connect a FTP Account to a Project - so that when I
      select a Project, the FTP Account for that project is selected as
      well. This would speed things up for me (and keep me from uploading
      files to the wrong FTP Account.

      Thanks,
      John
    • Bronius Motekaitis
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2009
        Are you working only with remote files? When you define a project (and
        associate saved files as assets of that project), part of the file paths is
        the ftp account identifier. This means that any remote files belonging to a
        project automatically are on the ftp account..... If you're then looking to
        create a new file, no, it won't automatically select an "associated" ftp
        account-- your SaveAsRemote will default to the last ftp acct used when
        using that dialog (as opposed to a recent file or project file).

        -bronius

        On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 10:32 AM, major4579 <major4579@...> wrote:

        > Is there a way to connect a FTP Account to a Project - so that when I
        > select a Project, the FTP Account for that project is selected as
        > well. This would speed things up for me (and keep me from uploading
        > files to the wrong FTP Account.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > John

      • major4579
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 7, 2009
          The files I'm working on are stored locally (I only have a moderate
          speed dsl connection). When I make changes to a file I use the 'FTP
          Upload' as this saves the file to my local drive and then uploads it.

          If I used the 'Save as Remote' then the file is not saved locally and
          when I want to load/search/whatever a project's files I would have to
          access them over my slow internet. No thanks...

          I hope you can see why I'd like to associate a FTP account with a Project.

          -John

          --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Bronius Motekaitis"

          > Are you working only with remote files? When you define a project (and
          > associate saved files as assets of that project), part of the file
          paths is
          > the ftp account identifier. This means that any remote files
          belonging to a
          > project automatically are on the ftp account..... If you're then
          looking to
          > create a new file, no, it won't automatically select an "associated" ftp
          > account-- your SaveAsRemote will default to the last ftp acct used when
          > using that dialog (as opposed to a recent file or project file).
          >
          > -bronius
          >

          > On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 10:32 AM, major4579 <major4579@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Is there a way to connect a FTP Account to a Project - so that
          when I
          > > select a Project, the FTP Account for that project is selected as
          > > well. This would speed things up for me (and keep me from uploading
          > > files to the wrong FTP Account.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > John

        • Bronius Motekaitis
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2009
            Yes, that would be a convenient way to operate. I have a similar irk with
            Dreamweaver: it would be good to have options for Local files, Testing
            Server, and Production Server, but neither tool separates it out that way.

            I think in your particular case you might be interested in BeyondCompare
            from ScooterSoftware. It does a fabulous job of comparing files locally or
            remotely and gives you all the tools for moving things back and forth
            between the two environments. Way less cool but much more featured in the
            FTP arena is FileZilla (or any number of other FTP clients) for simply
            "publishing" once you've produced enough edits to "commit."

            Hope this helps.. I might recommend making a request to Sangil developer,
            but I can see that as a text editor, this kind of test/production or
            edit-local, push-remote exceeds the scope of the application.

            -bronius

            On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 4:54 PM, major4579 <major4579@...> wrote:

            > The files I'm working on are stored locally (I only have a moderate
            > speed dsl connection). When I make changes to a file I use the 'FTP
            > Upload' as this saves the file to my local drive and then uploads it.
            >
            > If I used the 'Save as Remote' then the file is not saved locally and
            > when I want to load/search/whatever a project's files I would have to
            > access them over my slow internet. No thanks...
            >
            > I hope you can see why I'd like to associate a FTP account with a Project.
            >
            > -John
            >
            > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com <editplus%40yahoogroups.com>, "Bronius
            > Motekaitis"

            > > Are you working only with remote files? When you define a project (and
            > > associate saved files as assets of that project), part of the file
            > paths is
            > > the ftp account identifier. This means that any remote files
            > belonging to a
            > > project automatically are on the ftp account..... If you're then
            > looking to
            > > create a new file, no, it won't automatically select an "associated" ftp
            > > account-- your SaveAsRemote will default to the last ftp acct used when
            > > using that dialog (as opposed to a recent file or project file).
            > >
            > > -bronius
            > >

            > > On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 10:32 AM, major4579 <major4579@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Is there a way to connect a FTP Account to a Project - so that
            > when I
            > > > select a Project, the FTP Account for that project is selected as
            > > > well. This would speed things up for me (and keep me from uploading
            > > > files to the wrong FTP Account.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks,
            > > > John

          • major4579
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 8, 2009
              Thanks,

              I have a program "Super Flexible File Synchronizer" from
              www.superflexible.com that does the compare and transfer like
              BeyondCompare - hadn't thought of using the program for this
              application - it took me less then a minute to set it up for one project.

              I've also been using Filezilla for years.

              Still I think that having the FTP Account attached to a Project - so
              that when I hit Ctrl-Shift-S to do a FTP upload on a file in a
              project, the correct FTP account is automatically selected - I'm not
              looking for any more then that.

              Of course, I realize that everybody has their own desired feature that
              they'd like to see added - so I fully understand if this doesn't get
              anywhere with the developer - but I'll still suggest it.

              Thanks for your help..