purchase questions

  • dsvick31
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 10, 2008
      I've been testing Edit Plus for almost a month now and enjoy what I
      see and am considering purchasing a license and replacing Crimson
      Editor. Edit Plus so far is faster and a bit more stable I think.

      The license is only for the current major release, does anyone know
      how often a new major version is released? How much of a discount is
      there for purchasing the next version? I'm perfectly willing to spend
      the $$ on this but don't want to end up spending it every 6 months
      just to keep current.

      thanks for the answers!
    • John Morse
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 10, 2008
        Updates are slow, but they are solid releases. Join the Beta testers and you
        will get updates very regularly.
        As for price... you can't beat it I bought a license years ago and never
        have had to renew it. Sangil Kim, the developer is very fair on the price.
        This list is also an excellent source of support.

        John

        > I've been testing Edit Plus for almost a month now and enjoy what I
        > see and am considering purchasing a license and replacing Crimson
        > Editor. Edit Plus so far is faster and a bit more stable I think.
        >
        > The license is only for the current major release, does anyone know
        > how often a new major version is released? How much of a discount is
        > there for purchasing the next version? I'm perfectly willing to spend
        > the $$ on this but don't want to end up spending it every 6 months
        > just to keep current.
        >
        > thanks for the answers!

      • Daniel Gibby
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 10, 2008
          I have used EditPlus for years, and finally decided to pay for it. I paid
          for it just before the major 3.0 release came out.

          I didn't have to pay again, the license worked for either version.

          Before that I don't think that the EP major version changed in at least 5
          years.

          In other words, you won't regret paying for it now.

          Daniel

        • dz@caribe.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 10, 2008
            Hello:
            For those of us that bought a license years ago,
            the policy back then was that you get free updates
            for life, so we never had to upgrade. However, I
            just checked the EditPlus web site and it specifies
            that the current license only covers minor (point)
            upgrades.

            To answer dsvick31's question, major updates are
            not very common, and they tend to come with major
            functionality changes. Bug fixes and feature
            enhancements are typically offered in minor releases,
            so the current license is very well worth the money.

            About up future upgrade discounts, I'm afraid
            none of us can answer that question, since it seems
            that Sangil Kim just very recently changed the
            license to include only minor release; as of yet,
            nobody has had to upgrade a license. You may want to
            inquire directly to him at <support@...>.

            As others have said, registered users can join
            the Beta Testing program and get free upgrades on
            future development (beta) releases of the software.

            And finally, dsvick31's, on behalf of the
            EditPlus community, I welcome you to our troops, and
            hope you enjoy EditPlus as much as we do.

            -dZ.

          • Daniel Gibby
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 10, 2008
              Actually, I believe that policy has been in place for years but not enforced
              at all.

              See my other email. I noticed that policy being there probably around 5
              years ago.

              Thanks,
              Daniel

            • Mark Kahn
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 10, 2008
                It's a moot point anyway. IF a new version were released next month or next
                year AND the licensing system really did change to per-major-version (and
                the program was updated to support this), you'd likely just have to e-mail
                sangil and ask him for a new license. I can't say that for sure, of course,
                but I've had numerous exchanges with him and he seems very fair and mostly
                just interested in the well-being of the product.

                That being said, I think I've bought about 5 licenses :) I think it's too
                cheap and I make each new company I work for buy a copy.

                -Mark