Re: [edit+] File type detection

  • dz@caribe.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 19, 2008
      I had no problems with this. I just did a test and
      it worked as I expected. Here's what I did:

      - I created a new type called "BACKUP 1" and set the
      pattern to "*.one.bak".
      - I created a new type called "BACKUP 2" and set the
      pattern to "*.two.bak".
      - I created a simple syntax file with a couple of
      keywords and assigned it to both types.
      - I set the keyword syntax highlight for different
      colors on each of the new types.

      I then created two test files. Actually, one single
      file which I copied with a different name. The names
      were: "testfile.one.bak" and "testfile.two.bak".

      I opened both in EditPlus and, sure enough, each one
      got a different color highlight.

      I think the key is to judiciously use the various
      criteria available. I guess if you specify an
      extension, that will take precedence. If you created
      different types and set "bak" as the extension to all
      of them, then I guess it doesn't matter what
      additional criteria there is, if the file ends with
      "bak", it will be recognized as the first type with
      that explicit extension.

      -dZ.

      with multiple extensions of
      the same file type other than the obvious duplicating
      the file type for
      every extension...MEH

      -Mark

      On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Mark Kahn
      <cwolves@...> wrote:

      > nevermind, it apparently needs to match the entire
      file name, not just a
      > partial match. So...
      >
      > *.js.*.bak works! YAY! opening backup files now
      highlights!

      <cwolves@...> wrote:

      >> woo-hoo!
      >>
      >> Okay, I'm trying to get this working with backup
      files. Any ideas? The
      >> box says "An additional file name (allows * and
      ?)". So I tried

      >> \.js\..*\.bak
      >> .js.*.bak
      >> .js*.bak
      >> js*bak
      >> js.*bak
      >>
      >> nothing seems to work. The pattern I'm trying to
      match is

      >> filename.js.SOMEDATE.bak
      >>
      >> which, of course, I'll also use for every other
      extension once I figure it

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 19, 2008
        I think the criteria works in this way:

        Select this file type if the file
        - ends with this extension OR
        - matches this pattern OR
        - starts with this string
        Stop checking if we found a match.

        -dZ.

        <dz@...> wrote:

        >>> Hello:
        >>> I don't know if this is old hat, but I just very
        >>> recently noticed what is, to me, a brand new feature
        >>> in EditPlus: Automatic file detection based on
        >>> additional criteria other than file extension.
        >>>
        >>> If you go to the "Preferences|Files|Settings &
        >>> Syntax" panel, next to the "File extensions" field
        >>> you'll see a button that says "More...". When
        >>> clicked, it opens a dialog box where you can set
        >>> filename wildcards or a specific string marker at the
        >>> beginning of the file to help in detecting this
        >>> particular file type.
        >>>
        >>> Again, I'm sorry if this is old news, but if it
        >>> is, I can't believe I missed it before! It is truly
        >>> a nice feature, since some specific file types with
        >>> which I deal regularly either do not have file
        >>> extensions, or share an extension defined by another
        >>> more common type. Using wildcards or file string
        >>> markers is great help indeed.
        >>>
        >>> -dZ.

      • Mark Kahn
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 19, 2008
          yeah, I got this. I'm trying to match HTML highlighting, for example. The
          current extension matches are:

          html;htm;asp;asa;aspx;asax;shtml;stm;hta

          I obviously don't want to have to create 9 different file types. I'd rather
          just do:

          *.(html|htm|asp|asa|aspx|asax|shtml|stm|hta).*.bak

          -Mark

        • dz@caribe.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 19, 2008
            Oh! I guess that won't work. It doesn't accept a
            regular expression, but a simple "file match"
            wildcard expression, like what you use in directory
            listings on a console.

            I guess the alternative that you have is to set the
            "First line of file" to something resembling a
            doctype, if in fact all your files start with that.

            Sorry, I didn't mean to get your hopes up about a new
            feature and frustrate you with its limitations at the
            same time.

            -dZ.

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 19, 2008
              nah, that's okay. I got it matching .js, .css, .java, .php and .htm* which
              is, for the most part, everything I use anyway. I don't remember the last
              time I looked at a backup of anything else :)

              Thanks for pointing out the feature!

              -Mark

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 19, 2008
                No problem. I submitted a feature request to Sangil
                Kim, asking him for regexp support on the pattern
                field, or at least to allow for a list of patterns.

                -dZ.

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 19, 2008
                  I did the same :D

                  -Mark