Highlight Text, same as Selected

  • adtrakmike
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 8, 2008
      Hi all, I have tried some other editors in the past (such as
      notepad++) that highlight all text in the document that is the same as
      the text you have selected, this is really handy when looking for
      where variables are used, can Editplus do this?

      cheers,
      Mike
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 9, 2008
        No, EditPlus does not have that capability. You could, however, use
        Find In Files and get a list of all the lines that use a specific
        string within the file. Double-clicking the result will take you to
        the specified line. It's not the same, but it's something.

        dZ.

        On Aug 8, 2008, at 06:13, adtrakmike wrote:

        > Hi all, I have tried some other editors in the past (such as
        > notepad++) that highlight all text in the document that is the same as
        > the text you have selected, this is really handy when looking for
        > where variables are used, can Editplus do this?
        >
        > cheers,
        > Mike
      • Bronius Motekaitis
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 9, 2008
          Hmm.. I've never seen it myself, but it does sound handy if done right.
          What I do atm is highlight, CTRL-F, ESC, then bear down on F3 to repeat
          search and watch it dance across my document....

          On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 5:13 AM, adtrakmike <adtrakmike@...> wrote:

          > Hi all, I have tried some other editors in the past (such as
          > notepad++) that highlight all text in the document that is the same as
          > the text you have selected, this is really handy when looking for
          > where variables are used, can Editplus do this?
          >
          > cheers,
          > Mike

        • srdjan.markovic
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 10, 2008
            When I need to see appearance of specific variable in the document, I
            usually set markers (in the Find dialog)

            --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Bronius Motekaitis"

            > Hmm.. I've never seen it myself, but it does sound handy if done right.
            > What I do atm is highlight, CTRL-F, ESC, then bear down on F3 to repeat
            > search and watch it dance across my document....
            >

            > On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 5:13 AM, adtrakmike <adtrakmike@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hi all, I have tried some other editors in the past (such as
            > > notepad++) that highlight all text in the document that is the same as
            > > the text you have selected, this is really handy when looking for
            > > where variables are used, can Editplus do this?
            > >
            > > cheers,
            > > Mike

          • tc_online2000
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
              Ha! This is exactly what I do!! But seriously, this type of
              highlighting is one of the few things I'm jealous of in other editors...

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
                On Aug 9, 2008, at 21:53, Bronius Motekaitis wrote:

                > Hmm.. I've never seen it myself, but it does sound handy if done right.
                > What I do atm is highlight, CTRL-F, ESC, then bear down on F3 to repeat
                > search and watch it dance across my document....

                So much work! I move the cursor over the word I want to search and
                press CTRL+F3, then continue with F3. The CTRL+F3 shortcut
                automagically selects the word under the cursor, and sets it as the
                search target.

                dZ.

                +++ Divide By Cucumber Error - Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++
              • tc_online2000
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 8, 2008
                  egads, my editor just got better!

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 9, 2008
                    And remember kids: you can always reprogram the keys to all those
                    commands!

                    Cheers!
                    dZ.

                    --
                    "Bastard Operators don't just win. Anyone can win. Bastard Operators
                    win and totally demoralise. That's real winning."

                    -- BOfH