Re: [edit+] Rub LB from a text editor

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
      On Jul 1, 2008, at 02:03, Peter Anderson wrote:
      > Hi!
      >
      > I have had Liberty Basic for a while but am only just starting to
      > dabble. I use EditPlus (text editor) for other coding tasks (HTML, CSS,
      > PHP and Python). EditPlus has a "Tools" capability where you can edit
      > source code and then run the interpreter/compiler to run the code --
      > like a mini-IDE.
      >
      > I have tried to do the same with LB but can't get it to run. I can get
      > LB to start (without the source code loaded). But it would be nice just
      > to have LB run in the background (as Python does).

      I'm not familiar with Liberty Basic. Can it take a filename in the
      command line to compile? If not, I'm afraid you won't be able to use
      it from EditPlus.

      If it can take a filename in the command line, then you should just be
      able to set it up the same way you did with Python, but with the
      specific paramenters for LB. Can you give us an example of a command
      line for LB?

      "Bastard Operators don't just win. Anyone can win. Bastard Operators
      win and totally demoralise. That's real winning."

      -- BOfH
    • Peter Anderson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
        DZ-Jay wrote:
        > On Jul 1, 2008, at 02:03, Peter Anderson wrote:
        >
        >> Hi!
        >>
        >> I have had Liberty Basic for a while but am only just starting to
        >> dabble. I use EditPlus (text editor) for other coding tasks (HTML, CSS,
        >> PHP and Python). EditPlus has a "Tools" capability where you can edit
        >> source code and then run the interpreter/compiler to run the code --
        >> like a mini-IDE...
        >>

        > I'm not familiar with Liberty Basic...Can you give us an example of a command
        > line for LB?
        >
        > dZ.

        dZ,

        I have Python set-up as follows (I presume you know the "Configure
        Tools" dialogue):

        Menu Text: Python
        Command: C:\Python25\python.exe
        Argument: $(FileName)
        Initial Directory: $(FileDir)

        [X] Capture output
        [X] Save open files

        The problem is I don't know what the command line is for Liberty Basic,
        hence the plea for help!

        Regards,
        Peter
        --

        Peter Anderson

        There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
        conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the
        introduction of a new order of things — Niccolo Machiavelli, /The
        Prince/, ch. 6
      • Aleem Juma
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
          liberty basic command line parameters:

          -R Run a BAS file on startup
          -D Debug a BAS file on startup

          the following three are in the registered version only--------
          -T Make a TKN file from a BAS file on startup
          -A Automatically Exit LB on completion of BAS file
          -M Minimize the Liberty BASIC editor on startup

          2008/7/1 Peter Anderson <peter.anderson@...>:
          > DZ-Jay wrote:
          >> On Jul 1, 2008, at 02:03, Peter Anderson wrote:
          >>
          >>> Hi!
          >>>
          >>> I have had Liberty Basic for a while but am only just starting to
          >>> dabble. I use EditPlus (text editor) for other coding tasks (HTML, CSS,
          >>> PHP and Python). EditPlus has a "Tools" capability where you can edit
          >>> source code and then run the interpreter/compiler to run the code --
          >>> like a mini-IDE...
          >>>

          >> I'm not familiar with Liberty Basic...Can you give us an example of a command
          >> line for LB?
          >>
          >> dZ.
          >>
          > dZ,
          >
          > I have Python set-up as follows (I presume you know the "Configure
          > Tools" dialogue):
          >

          > Menu Text: Python
          > Command: C:\Python25\python.exe
          > Argument: $(FileName)
          > Initial Directory: $(FileDir)
          >
          > [X] Capture output
          > [X] Save open files
          >

          > The problem is I don't know what the command line is for Liberty Basic,
          > hence the plea for help!
          >
          > Regards,
          > Peter
          > --
          >
          > Peter Anderson
          >
          > There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
          > conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the
          > introduction of a new order of things — Niccolo Machiavelli, /The
          > Prince/, ch. 6

        • Peter Anderson
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
            Aleem Juma wrote:
            > liberty basic command line parameters:
            >
            > -R Run a BAS file on startup
            > -D Debug a BAS file on startup
            >
            > the following three are in the registered version only--------
            > -T Make a TKN file from a BAS file on startup
            > -A Automatically Exit LB on completion of BAS file
            > -M Minimize the Liberty BASIC editor on startup

            Aleem,

            "C:\Program Files\Liberty BASIC v4.03\liberty.exe" -R -A multiwin.bas

            Works from the "Run" command line so I am part way there. Although "-M"
            does not work :-(

            I still can't get this to work in my editor but it will/should.

            Regards,
            Peter

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
              Aleem Juma wrote:
              > liberty basic command line parameters:
              >
              > -R Run a BAS file on startup
              > -D Debug a BAS file on startup
              >
              > the following three are in the registered version only--------
              > -T Make a TKN file from a BAS file on startup
              > -A Automatically Exit LB on completion of BAS file
              > -M Minimize the Liberty BASIC editor on startup
              By George he's done it! :-)

              The User Tool Configuration is:

              Menu Text: Liberty Basic
              Command: C:\Program Files\Liberty BASIC v4.03\liberty.exe
              Argument: -R -A $(FilePath)
              Initial Directory: $(FileDir)

              [ ] Capture output
              [X] Save open files

              EditPlus is now an IDE for Liberty Basic.

              Thanks for your help and regards,

              Peter
              --

              Peter Anderson

              There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
              conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the
              introduction of a new order of things — Niccolo Machiavelli, /The
              Prince/, ch. 6
            • Michael L. Jones
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
                --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, Peter Anderson <peter.anderson@...>
                wrote:

                > By George he's done it! :-)
                >
                > The User Tool Configuration is:
                >

                > Menu Text: Liberty Basic
                > Command: C:\Program Files\Liberty BASIC v4.03\liberty.exe
                > Argument: -R -A $(FilePath)
                > Initial Directory: $(FileDir)
                >
                > [ ] Capture output
                > [X] Save open files
                >

                > EditPlus is now an IDE for Liberty Basic.
                >
                > Thanks for your help and regards,
                >
                > Peter
                > --
                >
                > Peter Anderson

                Peter,

                I added the LB configuration to the EditPlus wiki at

                http://editplus.info/wiki/User_Tools#Liberty_Basic

                You might want to update the entry as you learn more about using LB
                with EP.

                Mike
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
                  Hello:

                  You may want to also tick this one:
                  [X] Capture output

                  That way, it'll display any error messages or compilation output into
                  the Output Window of EditPlus.

                  dZ.
                • Peter Anderson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
                    DZ-Jay wrote:
                    > Hello:
                    >
                    > You may want to also tick this one:
                    > [X] Capture output
                    >
                    > That way, it'll display any error messages or compilation output into
                    > the Output Window of EditPlus.
                    DZ,

                    It works with Python because (I think) Python is treating EditPlus as
                    the console. Liberty Basic seems to have a specific way of displaying
                    error messages (bottom of the editor panel). By capturing output (and I
                    used a little program with a deliberate error) you only get:

                    ---------- Liberty Basic ----------
                    Output completed (8 sec consumed)

                    in the EditPad output window. By the way, running a program with no
                    errors produces a similar output.

                    Now if there is a way to change the Liberty Basic message output that
                    might work. But this is no big deal.

                    Regards,
                    Peter