Rub LB from a text editor

  • Peter Anderson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2008
      Hi!

      I have had Liberty Basic for a while but am only just starting to
      dabble. I use EditPlus (text editor) for other coding tasks (HTML, CSS,
      PHP and Python). EditPlus has a "Tools" capability where you can edit
      source code and then run the interpreter/compiler to run the code --
      like a mini-IDE.

      I have tried to do the same with LB but can't get it to run. I can get
      LB to start (without the source code loaded). But it would be nice just
      to have LB run in the background (as Python does).

      Any help would be much appreciated.

      Regards,
      Peter
      --

      Peter Anderson

      There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
      conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the
      introduction of a new order of things — Niccolo Machiavelli, /The
      Prince/, ch. 6
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
        On Jul 1, 2008, at 02:03, Peter Anderson wrote:
        > Hi!
        >
        > I have had Liberty Basic for a while but am only just starting to
        > dabble. I use EditPlus (text editor) for other coding tasks (HTML, CSS,
        > PHP and Python). EditPlus has a "Tools" capability where you can edit
        > source code and then run the interpreter/compiler to run the code --
        > like a mini-IDE.
        >
        > I have tried to do the same with LB but can't get it to run. I can get
        > LB to start (without the source code loaded). But it would be nice just
        > to have LB run in the background (as Python does).

        I'm not familiar with Liberty Basic. Can it take a filename in the
        command line to compile? If not, I'm afraid you won't be able to use
        it from EditPlus.

        If it can take a filename in the command line, then you should just be
        able to set it up the same way you did with Python, but with the
        specific paramenters for LB. Can you give us an example of a command
        line for LB?

        "Bastard Operators don't just win. Anyone can win. Bastard Operators
        win and totally demoralise. That's real winning."

        -- BOfH
      • Peter Anderson
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
          DZ-Jay wrote:
          > On Jul 1, 2008, at 02:03, Peter Anderson wrote:
          >
          >> Hi!
          >>
          >> I have had Liberty Basic for a while but am only just starting to
          >> dabble. I use EditPlus (text editor) for other coding tasks (HTML, CSS,
          >> PHP and Python). EditPlus has a "Tools" capability where you can edit
          >> source code and then run the interpreter/compiler to run the code --
          >> like a mini-IDE...
          >>

          > I'm not familiar with Liberty Basic...Can you give us an example of a command
          > line for LB?
          >
          > dZ.

          dZ,

          I have Python set-up as follows (I presume you know the "Configure
          Tools" dialogue):

          Menu Text: Python
          Command: C:\Python25\python.exe
          Argument: $(FileName)
          Initial Directory: $(FileDir)

          [X] Capture output
          [X] Save open files

          The problem is I don't know what the command line is for Liberty Basic,
          hence the plea for help!

          Regards,
          Peter
          --

          Peter Anderson

          There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
          conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the
          introduction of a new order of things — Niccolo Machiavelli, /The
          Prince/, ch. 6
        • Aleem Juma
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
            liberty basic command line parameters:

            -R Run a BAS file on startup
            -D Debug a BAS file on startup

            the following three are in the registered version only--------
            -T Make a TKN file from a BAS file on startup
            -A Automatically Exit LB on completion of BAS file
            -M Minimize the Liberty BASIC editor on startup

            2008/7/1 Peter Anderson <peter.anderson@...>:
            > DZ-Jay wrote:
            >> On Jul 1, 2008, at 02:03, Peter Anderson wrote:
            >>
            >>> Hi!
            >>>
            >>> I have had Liberty Basic for a while but am only just starting to
            >>> dabble. I use EditPlus (text editor) for other coding tasks (HTML, CSS,
            >>> PHP and Python). EditPlus has a "Tools" capability where you can edit
            >>> source code and then run the interpreter/compiler to run the code --
            >>> like a mini-IDE...
            >>>

            >> I'm not familiar with Liberty Basic...Can you give us an example of a command
            >> line for LB?
            >>
            >> dZ.
            >>
            > dZ,
            >
            > I have Python set-up as follows (I presume you know the "Configure
            > Tools" dialogue):
            >

            > Menu Text: Python
            > Command: C:\Python25\python.exe
            > Argument: $(FileName)
            > Initial Directory: $(FileDir)
            >
            > [X] Capture output
            > [X] Save open files
            >

            > The problem is I don't know what the command line is for Liberty Basic,
            > hence the plea for help!
            >
            > Regards,
            > Peter
            > --
            >
            > Peter Anderson
            >
            > There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
            > conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the
            > introduction of a new order of things — Niccolo Machiavelli, /The
            > Prince/, ch. 6

          • Peter Anderson
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
              Aleem Juma wrote:
              > liberty basic command line parameters:
              >
              > -R Run a BAS file on startup
              > -D Debug a BAS file on startup
              >
              > the following three are in the registered version only--------
              > -T Make a TKN file from a BAS file on startup
              > -A Automatically Exit LB on completion of BAS file
              > -M Minimize the Liberty BASIC editor on startup

              Aleem,

              "C:\Program Files\Liberty BASIC v4.03\liberty.exe" -R -A multiwin.bas

              Works from the "Run" command line so I am part way there. Although "-M"
              does not work :-(

              I still can't get this to work in my editor but it will/should.

              Regards,
              Peter

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
                Aleem Juma wrote:
                > liberty basic command line parameters:
                >
                > -R Run a BAS file on startup
                > -D Debug a BAS file on startup
                >
                > the following three are in the registered version only--------
                > -T Make a TKN file from a BAS file on startup
                > -A Automatically Exit LB on completion of BAS file
                > -M Minimize the Liberty BASIC editor on startup
                By George he's done it! :-)

                The User Tool Configuration is:

                Menu Text: Liberty Basic
                Command: C:\Program Files\Liberty BASIC v4.03\liberty.exe
                Argument: -R -A $(FilePath)
                Initial Directory: $(FileDir)

                [ ] Capture output
                [X] Save open files

                EditPlus is now an IDE for Liberty Basic.

                Thanks for your help and regards,

                Peter
                --

                Peter Anderson

                There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
                conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the
                introduction of a new order of things — Niccolo Machiavelli, /The
                Prince/, ch. 6
              • Michael L. Jones
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
                  --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, Peter Anderson <peter.anderson@...>
                  wrote:

                  > By George he's done it! :-)
                  >
                  > The User Tool Configuration is:
                  >

                  > Menu Text: Liberty Basic
                  > Command: C:\Program Files\Liberty BASIC v4.03\liberty.exe
                  > Argument: -R -A $(FilePath)
                  > Initial Directory: $(FileDir)
                  >
                  > [ ] Capture output
                  > [X] Save open files
                  >

                  > EditPlus is now an IDE for Liberty Basic.
                  >
                  > Thanks for your help and regards,
                  >
                  > Peter
                  > --
                  >
                  > Peter Anderson

                  Peter,

                  I added the LB configuration to the EditPlus wiki at

                  http://editplus.info/wiki/User_Tools#Liberty_Basic

                  You might want to update the entry as you learn more about using LB
                  with EP.

                  Mike
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
                    Hello:

                    You may want to also tick this one:
                    [X] Capture output

                    That way, it'll display any error messages or compilation output into
                    the Output Window of EditPlus.

                    dZ.
                  • Peter Anderson
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
                      DZ-Jay wrote:
                      > Hello:
                      >
                      > You may want to also tick this one:
                      > [X] Capture output
                      >
                      > That way, it'll display any error messages or compilation output into
                      > the Output Window of EditPlus.
                      DZ,

                      It works with Python because (I think) Python is treating EditPlus as
                      the console. Liberty Basic seems to have a specific way of displaying
                      error messages (bottom of the editor panel). By capturing output (and I
                      used a little program with a deliberate error) you only get:

                      ---------- Liberty Basic ----------
                      Output completed (8 sec consumed)

                      in the EditPad output window. By the way, running a program with no
                      errors produces a similar output.

                      Now if there is a way to change the Liberty Basic message output that
                      might work. But this is no big deal.

                      Regards,
                      Peter