Re: [edit+] Default directories

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 13, 2008
      On Jun 13, 2008, at 03:11, Peter Anderson wrote:
      > I've probably missed some really simple setting!

      Yes you did. I believe there is an option somewhere (I forgot where
      because they keep moving stuff around) that specifies that the working
      directory follows the file you are working on. This means that
      EditPlus will always use the directory of the currently selected open
      file. Check in the "General" section or in the "Files", it used to be
      called something like "Open Dialog follows working directory".

      dZ.
    • Peter's G-mail
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 13, 2008
        DZ-Jay wrote:
        > On Jun 13, 2008, at 03:11, Peter Anderson wrote:
        >> I've probably missed some really simple setting!
        >
        > Yes you did. I believe there is an option somewhere (I forgot where
        > because they keep moving stuff around) that specifies that the working
        > directory follows the file you are working on. This means that
        > EditPlus will always use the directory of the currently selected open
        > file. Check in the "General" section or in the "Files", it used to be
        > called something like "Open Dialog follows working directory".
        >
        > dZ.

        dZ,
        Thanks for the tip; however, I could find NO default directory setting
        in any of the places you suggest. However, your reply did get me
        looking through all menu options again. By George! I think I've got it!

        I believe the following might be a solution:

        1. From the "Projects" menu option select "Edit Projects..."
        2. Highlight the "Default" Project
        3. Click the "Add Dir..." button
        4. Select "My Documents" (or whatever is your choice) from the "Browse
        for Folder" dialogue and click the "Ok" button
        5. Click the "Ok" button on the "Projects" dialogue

        I have started/exited EditPlus several times and each time when I try to
        open or save/save as... a file it offers "My Documents" as the default
        choice.

        If this is not a fix could others please let me know. If it is a fix
        then I think it needs to be put into the EditPlus Help (I've done yet
        another search AFTER finding my fix and still can't find any assistance
        there. Happy to help do this!

        Regards,
        Peter
        --
        Peter Anderson

        E: peter.anderson@...
        W: http://www.users.on.net/~peter.anderson/
        <http://www.users.on.net/~peter.anderson/>
        P: +61 (0)2 4472 2274
        M: +61 (0)415 603 037

        There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
        conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the
        introduction of a new order of things — Niccolo Machiavelli, /The
        Prince/, ch. 6
      • Aleem Juma
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 13, 2008
          How about this one?

          General options -> File Open dialog restores previous directory

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 13, 2008
            Ok, I think I found it. The option has been re-worded to mean the opposite:

            Tools|Preferences|General|File Open dialog restores previous directory

            It means exactly the opposite of what it used to: If you check the box
            for that option, the File Open dialog will always go to the last
            directory used. So, if you open in the "My Documents" directory, it
            will continue using that directory.

            dZ.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 13, 2008
              Aleem Juma wrote:
              > How about this one?
              >
              > General options -> File Open dialog restores previous directory

              Yup, you beat me to it.

              dZ.
            • Aleem Juma
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 13, 2008
                Although having said that, doesn't EP use the dialog with the Places
                bar on the right? Can't you just keep My Documents in there so you can
                get there in one click from wherever you are? (bearing in mind the
                last place you were may not be the place where you want to be now!)

                2008/6/13 DZ-Jay <dz@...>:
                > Aleem Juma wrote:
                >> How about this one?
                >>
                >> General options -> File Open dialog restores previous directory
                >
                > Yup, you beat me to it.

              • Aleem Juma
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 13, 2008
                  sorry - meant places bar on the left
                  left - right - left - right - gets confusing after a few years....

                  2008/6/13 Aleem Juma <aleem.juma@...>:
                  > Although having said that, doesn't EP use the dialog with the Places
                  > bar on the right? Can't you just keep My Documents in there so you can
                  > get there in one click from wherever you are? (bearing in mind the
                  > last place you were may not be the place where you want to be now!)
                  >

                  > 2008/6/13 DZ-Jay <dz@...>:
                  >> Aleem Juma wrote:
                  >>> How about this one?
                  >>>
                  >>> General options -> File Open dialog restores previous directory
                  >>
                  >> Yup, you beat me to it.
                  >>
                  >> dZ.

                • Peter's G-mail
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 13, 2008
                    DZ-Jay wrote:
                    > Ok, I think I found it. The option has been re-worded to mean the opposite:
                    >
                    > Tools|Preferences|General|File Open dialog restores previous directory
                    >
                    > It means exactly the opposite of what it used to: If you check the box
                    > for that option, the File Open dialog will always go to the last
                    > directory used. So, if you open in the "My Documents" directory, it
                    > will continue using that directory.

                    dZ and Aleem,

                    Thanks for the suggestion BUT I've had that option ticked for ever. I'm
                    not sure that the option actually means the OPPOSITE of what it says.
                    The Help system says:

                    "File Open dialog restores previous directory
                    Check this option to restore previous directory when running File Open
                    dialog box."

                    It would be nice to hear from the developer. Until then, my 'proposed'
                    fix seems to work fine. Thanks for your suggestions.

                    Peter
                    --
                    Peter Anderson

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 13, 2008
                      Peter Anderson wrote:
                      > I would like the File Open, File Save, Save As..., etc. dialogues to
                      > open in say the "My Documents" directory or some other directory that
                      > I can pre-set. EditPlus seems to either open in its own directory (in
                      > the "Program Files" directory) or some other obscure directory. This
                      > means that I then need to waste time navigating to where I want to
                      > open or save my file.

                      I have done some more testing with the solutions offered by dZ and Aleen
                      and my own humble contribution and have come to the conclusion that NONE
                      work!

                      I hate to mention other products but NoteTab for example has a setting
                      for default "Open" and "Save" directories.

                      Does anyone else know if EditPlus has such a feature.

                      Regards,
                      Peter
                      --
                      Peter Anderson

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 13, 2008
                        Peter's G-mail wrote:
                        > DZ-Jay wrote:
                        >> Ok, I think I found it. The option has been re-worded to mean the opposite:
                        >>
                        >> Tools|Preferences|General|File Open dialog restores previous directory
                        >>
                        >> It means exactly the opposite of what it used to: If you check the box
                        >> for that option, the File Open dialog will always go to the last
                        >> directory used. So, if you open in the "My Documents" directory, it
                        >> will continue using that directory.
                        >>

                        > dZ and Aleem,
                        >
                        > Thanks for the suggestion BUT I've had that option ticked for ever. I'm
                        > not sure that the option actually means the OPPOSITE of what it says.

                        That's not what I said. The option text means *exactly* what it says.
                        What I meant was that the option used to be called "Open Dialog follows
                        active file", which is the exact opposite. My point was that the option
                        was switched to mean the reverse. Or, in other words, the old option
                        (follow active file) was removed and set as the default, and a new
                        option (use last directory) was added to do the opposite.

                        However, now that I try it, this option does not solve your problem. It
                        only works for the "File Open Dialog" and not for the "File Save Dialog"
                        (again, we should have taken the hint from its text).

                        Your solution works, and that's good.

                        dZ.
                      • Aleem Juma
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 13, 2008
                          Peter,

                          As far as I can see, the places bar, with a list of 4-5 common
                          directories down the left hand side of the dialog box which is
                          customisable from the registry, offers a one-click workaround. Is this
                          not sufficient for the time being, or does your version of EP not use
                          that dialog box??

                          To customise the places bar:
                          http://windowsxp.mvps.org/PlacesBar.htm