Set backup directory to Recycled bin?

  • joon_ro
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
      Is there any way to set backup directory to Recycled bin?

      EmEditor provides this function and I think it is great if I can do
      this in EditPlus as well.

      I think that is a good idea since you can have many backup files with
      same name in the recycled bin, and you can delete them easily.

      I have tried to set it to D:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-194229215-461794161-
      ...... (by recycled bin directory) but nothing happened when I save
      files.

      Let me know if it is possible.

      Thanks,

      Joon.
    • qsfe-kdhw@spamex.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
        Wow, that's a really cool idea!! The .bak files in the same directory
        just annoy me and I tend to turn them off, but this is an excellent
        idea. It gives me the chance to go back if I really need to, which is
        very rarely, and they are out of sight as well. And the multiple
        versions is *really* interesting. You learn something every day! =)

        On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 10:44 AM, joon_ro <wildrogal@...> wrote:

        > Is there any way to set backup directory to Recycled bin?
        >
        > EmEditor provides this function and I think it is great if I can do
        > this in EditPlus as well.
        >
        > I think that is a good idea since you can have many backup files with
        > same name in the recycled bin, and you can delete them easily.
        >
        > I have tried to set it to D:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-194229215-461794161-
        > ...... (by recycled bin directory) but nothing happened when I save
        > files.
        >
        > Let me know if it is possible.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Joon.
      • Joon Ro
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
          Thanks for the good words.

          And yes it can be very useful because you can save multiple versions of an
          file. You can have many items with the same names but different deleted
          date/time in recycled bin.

          Actually I just have written a AutoHotKey script which send the .bak file to
          the recycled bin whenever I press CTRL + S in EditPlus, and it works great.

          Hope the EditPlus supports this function though.

          <mailto:wildrogal%40gmail.com> > wrote:

          > Is there any way to set backup directory to Recycled bin?
          >
          > EmEditor provides this function and I think it is great if I can do
          > this in EditPlus as well.
          >
          > I think that is a good idea since you can have many backup files with
          > same name in the recycled bin, and you can delete them easily.
          >
          > I have tried to set it to D:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-194229215-461794161-
          > ...... (by recycled bin directory) but nothing happened when I save
          > files.
          >
          > Let me know if it is possible.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Joon.

        • Michael L. Jones
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2008
            You can do this now in the latest version of EP:

            Go to Tools > Preferences > Files. Check "Create backup file when
            saving," click "Backup options...," enter a common backup directory
            and check "Include directory name" and "Include date and time."

            I review the backup directory regularly and purge unneeded items with
            Shift-Del. This seems to me to be a lot better than storing backups in
            the Recycle Bin, where they get mixed in with junk. I don't know about
            others, but I keep the Recycle bin pretty clean.

          • qsfe-kdhw@spamex.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2008
              Thanks Michael!

              I've pointed mine to %temp%.