Update Edit Plus 3

  • mattlavinder
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2008
      I noticed there is a new version of Edit Plus 3 out there, but it
      doesn't appear to be available as a patch file. When I download the
      new version and run the setup, it warns it will overwrite the
      configuration.

      What gives? How can I update Edit Plus 3 without losing my current
      configuration?
    • mattlavinder
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2008
        --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "mattlavinder" <mattlavinder@...> wrote:

        > I noticed there is a new version of Edit Plus 3 out there, but it
        > doesn't appear to be available as a patch file. When I download the
        > new version and run the setup, it warns it will overwrite the
        > configuration.
        >
        > What gives? How can I update Edit Plus 3 without losing my current
        > configuration?

        By the way, I should have made it clear I am already running EditPlus
        3.00 and I am trying to update to 3.01.
        Message 3 of 11 , May 1, 2008
          mattlavinder wrote:
          > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "mattlavinder" <mattlavinder@...> wrote:
          >> I noticed there is a new version of Edit Plus 3 out there, but it
          >> doesn't appear to be available as a patch file. When I download the
          >> new version and run the setup, it warns it will overwrite the
          >> configuration.
          >>
          >> What gives? How can I update Edit Plus 3 without losing my current
          >> configuration?

          It will copy your files into the "backup" directory; just restore them
          from there.

          dZ.
        • Martin Salcedo
          Message 4 of 11 , May 1, 2008
            Try copying the ini files and after install the new EP3 restore the ini
            files from your backup

            --

            *****
            Martin Salcedo

          • Abuzar Chaudhary
            Message 5 of 11 , May 2, 2008
              Hi all,

              Hmmmm.... I hadn't realized there was an editplus 3 until I saw this
              email. I looked at the "what's new" page on the website and there
              doesn't seem to be all that much that has changed. Any reason for the
              major version change?

              Abuzar

              --- Martin Salcedo <mymundo@...> wrote:

              > Try copying the ini files and after install the new EP3 restore the
              > ini
              > files from your backup
              >
              > 2008/5/1 mattlavinder <mattlavinder@...>:
              >
              > > I noticed there is a new version of Edit Plus 3 out there, but it
              > > doesn't appear to be available as a patch file. When I download the
              > > new version and run the setup, it warns it will overwrite the
              > > configuration.
              > >
              > > What gives? How can I update Edit Plus 3 without losing my current
              > > configuration?
              > >

              > --
              >
              > *****
              > Martin Salcedo
              > mymundo@...
              > *****

              Be a better friend, newshound, and
              Message 6 of 11 , May 2, 2008
                Abuzar Chaudhary wrote:
                > Hi all,
                >
                > Hmmmm.... I hadn't realized there was an editplus 3 until I saw this
                > email. I looked at the "what's new" page on the website and there
                > doesn't seem to be all that much that has changed. Any reason for the
                > major version change?
                >
                > Abuzar

                Maybe you saw the change list from 3.00 to 3.01; version 3.x represents
                a major change from 2.x -- at least in base functionality if not in new
                features.

                dZ.
              • Abuzar Chaudhary
                Message 7 of 11 , May 2, 2008
                  ok, kewl, I guess it's time to upgrade!

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 2, 2008
                    Abuzar Chaudhary wrote:
                    > ok, kewl, I guess it's time to upgrade!

                    Here's the official list of changes from 2.x to 3.x

                    <feature>
                    * Improved Unicode compatibility.
                    * 'Enable visual style for toolbars' option ('Preferences'->'Tools').
                    * 'Match Tag'/'Select Tag' command ('Search' menu).
                    * Allows drag and drop for the Document Selector tabs.
                    * Automatically adjusts the number of rows on the Document Selector.
                    * 'Restore cursor/markers/encoding of recent files' option
                    ('Preferences'->'General').
                    * Automatically adds file extension if the file type has only one extension.
                    * 'Rename' command ('File'->'Others').
                    * 'Current project' option in the Find in Files dialog box.
                    * 'An additional file name (allows * and ?)' option
                    ('Preferences'->'Settings &
                    syntax'->'More'). * Supports secondary function pattern option.
                    * 'Toggle Folding' command ('View'->'Code Folding').
                    * 'Add Dir' button on the 'Preferences'->'Project'.
                    * Supports 'Sort' button on the Window List.
                    * Supports 'Copy Name' button on the Window List.
                    * Function Pattern dialog box supports 'Partial display' option.
                    * 'Previous' button instead of Up/Down on the Find dialog box.
                    * $(AppDir) argument macro added.
                    * Supports font option for the Document Selector.
                    * Supports auto save as *.tmp file for unnamed buffers.
                    * 'Up'/'Down' button on the Window List supports multiple selections.
                    * Duplicate Line command supports multi-line selection.
                    * 'Open Selection' command supports multi-line selection.
                    * Native support for tilt wheel on Vista.
                    * Supports horizontal scroll by SHIFT + mouse wheel.
                    * -wd command line option for specifying directory to save the workspace.
                    * 'Transparent' command ('Window'->'Others').
                    * 'Remove from Project' command ('Project'->'Manage Project').
                    * Supports 'Up'/'Down' button on the 'Preferences'->'Settings & syntax'
                    dialog box.
                    * 'Copy URL' command ('Edit'->'Clipboard' menu).
                    * 'User tool group' option on the 'Preferences'->'Project' dialog box.
                    * 'Move Up/Down' command ('Edit'->'Others').
                    * 'Change File Encoding'/'File Encoding Multiple' commands
                    ('Document'->'File Encoding').
                    * Displays current project name on the title bar.
                    * 'Next/Prev Project' command ('Project'->'Manage Project').
                    * Allows CHMOD on multiple files.
                    ' 'Allow Drag & Drop' option ('Edit'->'Others').
                    * New toolbar buttons: Find Next/Prev Word, Toggle Folding, Sum, Last
                    Visited, Character Count.

                    <bug fix>
                    * FTP status of 100% could cause program crash.
                    * Some sftp servers could cause program freeze.
                    * Regular expression in Find in Files dialog box could cause program crash.
                    * 'Save wrapped lines with CR/LF' option could corrupt file.
                    * Replace All could incorrectly hide folded lines.
                    * 'Subdirectory' FTP setting did not work correctly on VMS servers.
                    * '$' regular expression did not work correctly.
                    * Search Document command could omit some words.
                    * Improved Vista UAC compatibility.
                    * 'Sum' command could not handle minus value.
                    * Fixes display error when selecting by word.
                    * Fixes a screen update bug with auto completion in word wrap mode.
                    * Extending column selection with 'Shift + click' didn't work.
                    * 'Decrease Indent' command did not work correctly with column selections.
                    * 'Create File' did not work on disconnected FTP server.
                    * Suppresses auto completion in C/C++ preprocessor directives.
                    * Keystroke recording could not handle the Insert key.
                    * Highlighted matching braces could not be restored when changing focus.
                    * Replace dialog box with regex did not work upward.
                    * Suppresses combo box auto completion when pasting.
                    * 'Use EditPlus in Internet Explorer' didn't work as expected in Vista.
                    * Reset button on the 'Preferences'->'Toolbar' did not work correctly.
                    * Fixes a bug with the Korean input method editor.
                  • Abuzar Chaudhary
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 2, 2008
                      I just downloaded and installed it, but it looks the same! I noticed
                      that the color of the icon is slightly washed out compared with that of
                      2.x, but maybe that comes with age. Otherwise, everything else looks
                      the same... I guess I was expecting it to sing and dance, perform
                      miracles or something.

                      j/k :-)

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 2, 2008

                        > I was expecting it to sing and dance, perform miracles or something.

                        New user, eh? That was a v1.0 feature ;)

                        happy friday, all
                        -bronius

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 2, 2008
                          Abuzar Chaudhary wrote:
                          > I just downloaded and installed it, but it looks the same! I noticed
                          > that the color of the icon is slightly washed out compared with that of
                          > 2.x, but maybe that comes with age. Otherwise, everything else looks
                          > the same... I guess I was expecting it to sing and dance, perform
                          > miracles or something.

                          I don't know what you're talking about. My copy turn water in wine.