Re: [edit+] Search in files... Current Project with FTP

  • Bronius Motekaitis
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 11, 2008
      Right, and by what you replied about "local files" I was referring to "open
      files" meaning local or remote, but contained in the "project set/space" and
      already opened. If that works, then maybe you could do an Load Project from
      the given project's menu which would load all remote (and "local") files,
      and your Find in Projects should work ok.. It would be like what dZ was
      responding to, but you would force the decision that EP is not making of
      whether to load a file or not..

      -bronius?

      On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 4:04 PM, DZ-Jay <dz@...> wrote:

      > But there is no way to search a file via FTP. EditPlus would need to
      > connect to the FTP server, retrieve every single file it can find, and
      > then search them locally; all the time keeping track of which local
      > files need to be destroyed once it's finished.
      >
      > Seems like a complex, expensive, and error prone operation.
      >
      > dZ.
      >

      > Daniel Gibby wrote:
      > > I don't have any projects that have local files, so I'm not sure how
      > 'Find
      > > in Project' works with local files.
      > >
      > > Searching in files only needs read access, so it doesn't matter whether
      > > someone has a file open or not.
      > > Before I tried the 'Find in Project' feature, I expected EditPlus3 to
      > open
      > > the FTP connection for anything in the project that wasn't already open,
      > and
      > > search through each file for the text I was searching for... that's what
      > > would make sense.

    • Daniel Gibby
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
        Of course EP3 would have to open each remote FTP file if they weren't
        already open in the local space. That's exactly what I expected the
        application to do. If it says "Search in Project", and those are the
        project, then that makes sense it ought to open them remotely and search in
        them. Whether or not it works is the same thing that you get when you choose
        to 'Open Project' and everything is remote. It just seems it would be
        consistent for the behaviour to work that way.

        It would be nice if there were a checkbox or two somewhere that let you
        configure (maybe per project) whether EP3 should open FTP files as part of
        'Search in Project' and 'Open Project'. I don't see why you'd need to open
        the whole project first to get them 'local' and then do a 'Search in
        Project'. That is counter-intuitive. We are programmers so we understand how
        things work behind the scenes, but when you design a program, it should just
        make sense, not work one way in one situation and another way in another
        without an explanation right on the interface that it isn't doing what you'd
        expect. If it had said 'Search in Local Project Files' I would have
        understood that it didn't include FTP files, but that isn't what the GUI
        says, it says 'Search in Project', which intuitively means it should search
        the project, whether the files are open or not.

        -Daniel