Re: [edit+] Please bring the 2.x app icon back

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2008
      On Feb 29, 2008, at 18:25, Brett Patterson wrote:

      > Not to be a stickler or anything, but ....
      > Firefox is circular, E+ is square.... I can tell the difference
      > perfectly fine on my screen. Also, the difference between the
      > orange-ish color of the FF icon against the red of E+ is very
      > noticeable. Perhaps your screen colors need tweaking....

      Although I have already gotten used to the new icon and don't find much
      wrong with it now, I do understand milen.radev's and Bronius' point:
      When I first installed version 3, side by side with version 2, I did
      notice that the quality of the new icon was different -- it looked
      more, hum, "pixelated", as if it were made with a lower resolution.

      So perhaps there is merit in putting back the old icon (from a quality
      perspective). However, as I said, after I got rid of EditPlus 2, it
      only took me a few days to completely forget about this difference and
      get used to it.

      dZ.
    • Gary
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2008
        I must say that I like the old icon much better for 2 reasons: The red
        is nicer and there's no "++" cluttering it when on the Win task bar.

        Some of the best icons are the simplest ones because they are more
        easily recognized (I guess because your brain doesn't have to spend
        more milliseconds processing the complicated image it sees). Trying to
        cram too much info in a 16x16 pixel block just degrades the overall
        effectiveness of being, well, an icon.

        Also, there's varying degrees of screen sizes, resolutions,
        brightness, quality, contrast, lighting conditions, people's vision
        quality, etc. Try reading a small laptop screen at high resolutions
        while sitting outside in bright day light...not so easy to distinguish
        that Firefox icon from the new EditPlus one now is it?

        For me, I differences in the icons is actually useful because I'm
        running both v2 and v3 at the same time. This allows me to have two
        sets of files opened.

        For instance, my dev files that I'm working on are opened in v3, while
        a single debug log file is open in v2. During web development, this
        minimizes the constant nagging prompt "The file has changed outside
        it's application, do you wish to reload". I realize you can turn this
        prompt off, but in most cases, I want that on. The log file viewing is
        the main exception. It would be nice to be able to ignore that prompt
        by file type (for .log files, load automatically, otherwise prompt to
        reload external changes).

        Hmmm. Maybe I should request that as a feature. And the old icon can
        be thrown back in there at the same time ;)
      • milen.radev
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2008
          --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <gchoma@...> wrote:

          > I must say that I like the old icon much better for 2 reasons: The red
          > is nicer and there's no "++" cluttering it when on the Win task bar.
          >
          > Some of the best icons are the simplest ones because they are more
          > easily recognized (I guess because your brain doesn't have to spend
          > more milliseconds processing the complicated image it sees). Trying to
          > cram too much info in a 16x16 pixel block just degrades the overall
          > effectiveness of being, well, an icon.

          Exactly my thoughts.

          > Also, there's varying degrees of screen sizes, resolutions,
          > brightness, quality, contrast, lighting conditions, people's vision
          > quality, etc. Try reading a small laptop screen at high resolutions
          > while sitting outside in bright day light...not so easy to distinguish
          > that Firefox icon from the new EditPlus one now is it?
          >
          > For me, I differences in the icons is actually useful because I'm
          > running both v2 and v3 at the same time. This allows me to have two
          > sets of files opened.

          May be the option named "General -> Allow Multiple Instances" would be
          useful here?

          > For instance, my dev files that I'm working on are opened in v3, while
          > a single debug log file is open in v2. During web development, this
          > minimizes the constant nagging prompt "The file has changed outside
          > it's application, do you wish to reload". I realize you can turn this
          > prompt off, but in most cases, I want that on. The log file viewing is
          > the main exception. It would be nice to be able to ignore that prompt
          > by file type (for .log files, load automatically, otherwise prompt to
          > reload external changes).

          Use something like "tail" for windows. Most certainly they're ported
          it to win32 (google gnuwin32). Also I remember using some GUI version
          of tail for windows (search for it too).

          > Hmmm. Maybe I should request that as a feature. And the old icon can
          > be thrown back in there at the same time ;)
        • Perminov Vladimir
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 3, 2008
            >Use something like "tail" for windows.
            unxutils