Re: Removing links on every page

  • Waccoon
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
      > And speaking o copyright notices, I use this script. It updates itself
      > every
      > New Year's Day!
      >
      > <script language = 'JavaScript'>
      >
      > <!--
      >
      > function y2k(number) { return (number < 1000)
      > ?
      > number + 1900 : number; } var today = new Date(); var year =
      > y2k(today.getFullYear()); document.write('C '+year+' Copyright Name Goes
      > Here. All rights reserved.');
      >
      > </script>

      I'm not sure that this would be in any ways effective, since it's a
      client-side notice and is not actually "stamped" on the page itself. A
      copyright is valid even if no notice is present on the work, but in a
      context such as this the date would be meaningless except for cosmetic
      purposes. I could only imagine if a publisher could update their copyright
      just by taking some old books, and scribbling out the old copyright date
      every year. Oh yeah, and JavaScript is worthless if someone has it turned
      off, which is more common than you might think. In general, I'm wary of
      using client-side scripting for content, even with an accompanying noscript
      tag.

      SSI is a better option, and can be used for banners, footers, and other
      things, without the overhead of a language like PHP.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Side_Includes
    • VAmale
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
        It might be a better option for you but not everyone shares your views.
        Nothing is "stamped" since it is a Web site and not print medium. So making
        a comparison to what you said about a publisher "scribbling out the old
        copyright date every year" date is kind of moot point considering what we
        are talking about.

        To quote you again, "A copyright is valid even if no notice is present on
        the work, but in a context such as this the date would be meaningless except
        for cosmetic purposes." So in effect all copyright notices, Web, print or
        images are valid and a textual display is only a "cosmetic" display. A
        reminder, if you will, that the displayed work is the property of someone
        else and is not available as public domain.

        I am reminded of the words of one of my college professors from years ago,
        "Locks are to keep honest people honest. They have no effect on the man
        determined to rob you."

        _____

        http://en.wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Side_Includes>
        .org/wiki/Server_Side_Includes

        _____

        It has removed 80201 spam emails to date.
        Try SPAMfighter <http://www.spamfighter.com/len> for free now!

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
          On Jan 9, 2008, at 06:34, VAmale wrote:

          > To quote you again, "A copyright is valid even if no notice is present
          > on
          > the work, but in a context such as this the date would be meaningless
          > except
          > for cosmetic purposes." So in effect all copyright notices, Web, print
          > or
          > images are valid and a textual display is only a "cosmetic" display. A
          > reminder, if you will, that the displayed work is the property of
          > someone
          > else and is not available as public domain.

          You are right in this: the Copyright notice is just meant as a
          reminder, and it is not strictly necessary for legal enforcement.
          However, as has been pointed out, the Copyright itself is extended from
          the moment the work was created, last edited, or published, which is
          the reason why the comment regarding scribbling new dates on printed
          books is still relevant: It is meaningless at best, desingineous at
          worse.

          If, for some reason, you had to enforce the Copyrights of your web page
          in a court of law, the only date relevant would be the date it was last
          updated. But, as I also pointed out before, since the length of
          Copyrights is extremely (and, in my opinion, unreasonably) long, a
          discrepancy of a couple of years between the printed (dynamic) date on
          the page footer and the actual creation date of the page, is moot.

          In any case, I understand people's (mis)conception of the Web being
          "new media" and not adhering to normal rules, and I am very used to
          having upper management and executives requesting dynamic date updates
          in all page footers, just because it makes them feel better, even if
          its not really based on sound legal advice. And there is really no
          harm in this.

          Then again, I am not a lawyer, so I could very well be wrong indeed.

          "Bastard Operators don't just win. Anyone can win. Bastard Operators
          win and totally demoralise. That's real winning."

          -- BOfH
        • VAmale
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
            You're not a lawyer but you play one on the Internet! LOL

            Or maybe you're not old enough to remember those commercials.

            _____

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
              On Jan 9, 2008, at 07:03, VAmale wrote:

              > You're not a lawyer but you play one on the Internet! LOL
              >
              > Or maybe you're not old enough to remember those commercials.

              Yes, I remember those :)

              Cheers!
              dZ.
            • Peter Anderson
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
                --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "VAmale" <vamale@...> wrote:

                > Sure! Show the code.
                >
                > And speaking o copyright notices, I use this script.
                > It updates itself every New Year's Day!

                First let me address the "copyright controversy" -- if you used:

                document.writeln('<p>The contents of this website are licensed under
                the current <a href="http://www.opensource.org/licenses/">Academic
                Free License</a>.</p>')

                instead, you would have no problems.

                Now for the code (sorry if its a bit long):

                The HTML code template

                "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
                <head>
                <title>Page Title</title>
                <link rel="stylesheet" href="../common/main.css" type="text/css">
                </head>

                u3a <span class="orange">network</span> nsw inc.

                <h3>Site Navigation</h3>
                <!-- The following line is a link to a common menu written in
                JavaScript -->
                <!-- Write once and display many times -->
                type="text/javascript"></script></p>
                <h3>News</h3>
                <!-- News items are stored in a common JavaScript file -->
                type="text/javascript"></script></p>

                <h1>Page Heading</h1>

                <!-- Once again, we link in a common footer using JavaScript -->
                <script language="JavaScript" src="../common/footer.js"
                type="text/javascript"></script>

                The menu JavaScript (this needs to be one continuous line for some
                reason that escapes me)

                href="../main/about.html">About Us</a><br><a
                href="../main/background.html">The Movement</a><br><a
                href="../main/starting.html">Starting a business</a><br><a
                href="../main/guidelines.html">Guidelines for success</a><br><a
                href="../main/insurance.html">Insurance</a><br><a
                href="../main/links.html">Links</a><br><a
                href="../main/contact.html">Contact Us</a></p>')

                The news JavaScript (ditto for line length)

                document.writeln('<p><!-- Change after this --><b>News Update</b>
                Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do
                eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.<br><br>Ut
                enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi
                ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in
                reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla
                pariatur.<br><br>Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt
                in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.<!-- Change
                before this --></p>')

                The footer JavaScript (ditto for line length)

                document.writeln('<p>The contents of this website are licensed under
                the current <a href="http://www.opensource.org/licenses/">Academic
                Free License</a>.</p>')

                For those think this is old hat, sorry. For those who have not seen
                this technique before enjoy, its very simple and has saved me lots of
                effort over the years.

                Regards,
                Peter