Re: [edit+] edit plus WISH LIST list

  • mattlavinder@data-management.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 1, 2007
      I know this would not be simple, but maybe Sangil should consider a
      plug-in interface for EditPlus. There is already a community around
      EditPlus, so it would be a great addition and I’m sure many people would
      contribute.

      I respect the fact that Sangil tries to keep the app simple, but from a
      business perspective, competition to EditPlus is growing. More and more
      companies are offering free or light versions of their IDE and Notepad++
      and other free, open source alternatives are getting better and better.
      While most of us in this group are sold on EditPlus, people who have yet
      to discover it have more and more alternatives available.

      EditPlus is most stable application I work with on a regular basis. I
      would rather Sangil keep it stable than have many new features I don’t
      need. At the same time, I don’t want to see this application disappear.
      Allowing plug-ins might be a good compromise.

      "Mark Kahn" <cwolves@...>
      Sent by: editplus@yahoogroups.com
      10/30/2007 10:54 PM
      Please respond to
      editplus@yahoogroups.com

      editplus@yahoogroups.com
      cc

      Subject
      Re: [edit+] edit plus WISH LIST list

      "real" auto complete as you call it will probably never find its way into
      edit+, for whatever reason, either due to code complexity or the desire to
      keep edit+ a simple editor. I've asked the developer about it and he's
      basically said "no". Same goes for code explorer, code tips.

      highlight unmatching brackets/tags: um...there'd only ever be one and it's
      impossible to tell which one:

      {{{}} which { isn't matched?

      highlight matching brackets/tags: View-->Matching Brace
      jump to matching bracket: ctrl+]
      jump to declarations: ctrl+F11 gives a function list. The regex for this
      can be edited to include classes, etc. This is probably as close as you're
      ever going to get.
      ability to minimize functions, etc: the new version has code folding. If
      you properly indent your code, you have this feature.

      -Mark

    • dz@caribe.net
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 1, 2007
        ---- QUOTE:
        I respect the fact that Sangil tries to keep the app
        simple, but from a
        business perspective, competition to EditPlus is
        growing. More and more
        companies are offering free or light versions of
        their IDE and Notepad++
        and other free, open source alternatives are getting
        better and better.
        While most of us in this group are sold on EditPlus,
        people who have yet
        to discover it have more and more alternatives
        available.
        ---- END.

        I think it is a flawed argument that the software
        needs to be constantly "improved" just to "stay
        ahead". I like EditPlus, and I have been using it
        for many years (since version 1.x), and I think it is
        worth much more than its current price. However, as
        it stands, in my opinion, it is a mature and stable
        product and perfectly adecquate for my needs; and if
        circumstances were to force Sangil Kim to stop
        development on it, though sorely missed, the
        application would hardly "disappear": I see no reason
        why I, or anyone, should stop using EditPlus if its
        future development were to cease.

        Likewise, the decision -- and the incentive -- to
        further develop an application lies solely on the
        developer, not on its users. If Sangil does not feel
        the pressure to which so many other commercial
        entities succomb so easily, to constantly cram new
        features into his application for the sake of keeping
        up with the Joneses, then the more I respect him for
        that.

        And frankly, if I ever find a better editor than
        EditPlus, I would weigh my options carefuly, and make
        an informed decision, based not only on feature set,
        but on quality and stability; as I have done many
        times before. And I will be as free to decide
        against EditPlus as its developer is in deciding its
        future direction. And so are you: if so many other
        applications offer what you think is so necessary
        then, by all means, use them.

        I find it curious that after about a decade of use,
        every once in a while someone comes along and
        predicts the imminent death of EditPlus or a mass
        exodus of its users to the greener pastures of its
        competition, yet those of us who were using it back
        then, still continue using it today, and new people
        keep finding their way to it; and we all invariably
        announce as the lure that called us here its lean and
        no-nonsense approach.

        That's my rant for the day. I'll stand down from my
        soap box now.

        Cheers!
        -dZ.

        mattlavinder@...[mailto:mattlavinder@...]
> [...]

        develop in php.

        > a realistic wish list.
        >
        > will edit plus ever add the following features:
        >
        > :: A real auto complete feature that loads a drop down
        > list/window under cursor as you type
        >
        > :: PHP code explorer shows all classes, extended
        classes,
        > interfaces, properties, functions, constants and
        variables

        > :: Intelligent code tip are displayed as you type,
        it shows you
        > description, arguments and returning values for
        typed functions (php,
        > javascript)
        >
        > :: Highlight (un)matching brackets/tags
        > :: Select or jump to matching brackets/tags
        >
        > :: Jump to any declaration with filtering by
        classes, interfaces,
        > functions, variables or constants
        >
        > :: Ability to minimize functions/bracket to allow

        http://www.editplus.com
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Aleem Juma
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 1, 2007
          I agree dZ, EP is popular exactly because it is lean and mean and
          doesn't mess about with extraneous features. To put it bluntly, if you
          want an IDE, go get an IDE!

          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 1, 2007
            I think I need to clarify my position in light of your response.

            First, I never claimed any sort of mass exodus would occur or is
            happening. I have no intention of switching anytime soon. I also didn't
            mean to predict an "imminent death". Even if development did stop, I
            would not stop using it. I use to evaluate other products from time to
            time, but always found myself returning. I finally bought a license and
            really don't even bother trying other things now. I was commenting that
            EditPlus's competition is increasing, not stating the competition was
            superior. I also didn't mean it to be taken as an argument to start
            adding all sorts of junk to EditPlus, though I do understand why you took
            at as such.

            The ONLY point I was trying to make is that (in my opinion) plug-ins would
            be a possible compromise that allows the core of EditPlus to stay small,
            but would enable it to be expanded with additional features by the user. I
            was hoping to generate discussion on the subject to see what people
            thought of the idea. I definitely know how you feel now. :)

            As a user, my primary concern is that EditPlus remain stable and easy to
            use. That is its BIGGEST competitive advantage. I would never want a
            feature added that would compromise that.

            I obviously struck a nerve, so I wanted to clarify my comments.

            "dz@..." <dz@...>
            Sent by: editplus@yahoogroups.com
            11/01/2007 10:08 AM
            Please respond to
            editplus@yahoogroups.com

            editplus@yahoogroups.com
            cc

            Subject

            http://www.editplus.com
            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Mark Kahn
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 1, 2007
              I actually agree with you that a plugin system would be nice. I want
              code-completion, SVN integration and several other things.

              Yes, there are IDEs out there that have these features, but Edit+ is just
              so...nice. There are so many little things that most people don't even
              notice that I can't live without:

              - brace matching
              - trim trailing spaces (bound to ctrl+space)
              - character transpose/upper case/lower case with easy keyboard shortcuts
              - easy character duplication from a previous line
              - line comments/uncomments
              - a quick character count
              - find/replace in multiple files,
              etc etc...

              Any one of these features can be found in a dozen different editors, but
              I've yet to see another editor implement so many USEFUL features. Not only
              that but unlike many other editors, ALL of the features actually, well,
              work! In short I love Edit+.

              At the same time, however, as stated there are additional features I want.
              Why? Because I've played with IDEs that have them and they're very useful.
              Code completion would probably slow the editor slightly. If the delay is
              worth it to me, I should be allowed to have it and live with the delay.
              Most people don't need SVN integration, but I do. At the same time, I don't
              care about dozens of other potential features that other people want.

              Sangil has made a great product but the very nature of it, its simplicity,
              means that people will ALWAYS be desiring new features that will never be
              implemented. A plugin system is the only real way to do this.

              But it will probably never happen. Why? Because it is VERY hard to add
              something like a plugin system to an existing product. If it's built from
              the ground up with that idea in mind, that's one thing...but adding it at
              this point is likely near impossible without a complete re-write.

              I've offered to buy the Edit+ source without the license to distribute (so I
              could edit it myself and for others in my company). I offered, I believe,
              $10k. Sangil said no. *shrugs*

              -Mark

            • dz@caribe.net
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 1, 2007
                ---- QUOTE:
                But it will probably never happen. Why? Because it is
                VERY hard to add
                something like a plugin system to an existing
                product. If it's built from
                the ground up with that idea in mind, that's one
                thing...but adding it at
                this point is likely near impossible without a
                complete re-write.
                ---- END.

                I am not opposed to a plug-in framework in EditPlus
                in principle, and in fact I would certainly take
                advantage of it if it were there. But, as a fellow
                developer, I understand how invasive such a change
                would be in the code base of a mature product like
                EditPlus, just as you mentioned. I am, though, not
                keen to the idea of de-stabilizing any mature
                application with such a major structural change.
                This is why I disagree with such proposals.

                But if Sangil Kim ever created "EditPlusPlus", with
                such extra features, and I deem it a sufficient
                improvement from the current application, I would
                certainly switch and pay for a license of it.
                However, as I said before, this decision would be
                based not only on the features set, but on its
                stability, and of course, the amount of re-training
                required to use the new application. But this
                evaluation I reserve as well for any other
                application that competes with EditPlus.

                ---- QUOTE:
                I've offered to buy the Edit+ source without the
                license to distribute (so I
                could edit it myself and for others in my company). I
                offered, I believe,
                $10k. Sangil said no. *shrugs*
                ---- END.

                You have to admire a developer with such integrity
                and passion for his products (given the relatively
                inexpensive licensing price).

                -dZ.
              • moorpipe
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 1, 2007
                  --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "dz@..." <dz@...> wrote:

                  > I am not opposed to a plug-in framework in EditPlus
                  > in principle, and in fact I would certainly take
                  > advantage of it if it were there. But, as a fellow
                  > developer, I understand how invasive such a change
                  > would be in the code base of a mature product like
                  > EditPlus, just as you mentioned. I am, though, not
                  > keen to the idea of de-stabilizing any mature
                  > application with such a major structural change.
                  > This is why I disagree with such proposals.
                  >
                  > -dZ.

                  Although not as versatile as a plug-in framework, an improved macro
                  subsystem could make Edit+ even more attractive than it is right now.
                  Currently the macro capabilities are somewhat limited. If we were
                  able to edit macros, or write (advanced) scripts, that would
                  certainly help me a lot. I'm not a programmer but I think enhancing
                  the macro subsystem should not really change the code base much, thus
                  keeping Edit+ as stable as it is. What do you think?

                  rgrds,
                  moorpipe.
                • mattlavinder@data-management.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 1, 2007
                    It sounds like you are suggesting a scripting language that could be used
                    to write macros. That sounds pretty complex to me. If you don't mind
                    sharing, what exactly are you using EditPlus for that requires such
                    complex macros?

                    I started the plug-in discussion, but the thing I would like to see most
                    is better support for regular expressions. I think this is the ideal
                    sort of enhancement because the feature already exists, so it doesn't add
                    complexity to the UI. It simply adds functionality without getting in the
                    way.

                    "moorpipe" <moorpipe@...>
                    Sent by: editplus@yahoogroups.com
                    11/01/2007 02:43 PM
                    Please respond to
                    editplus@yahoogroups.com

                    editplus@yahoogroups.com
                    cc

                    Subject

                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 1, 2007
                      Hello:

                      I agree with your suggestion regarding
                      RegularExpressions. I once contacted Sangil about
                      this and he mentioned that it was a limitation of the
                      library he was using. Since he didn't mention the
                      possibility of switching to a different one in the
                      near future, I pressumed by his response that he was
                      tied somehow to this library, be it because he
                      already spent considerable money on licensing it, he
                      built it from scratch and finds it difficult or
                      impossible to update, or it is somehow integral to
                      the application and cannot be changed trivially. My
                      guess is one of the first two.

                      Be that as it may, it means that changing libraries
                      in the future may actually be a possibility; so
                      although I did not push him on the subject then, I
                      remain always optimistic and expectant that he may
                      address this in future versions.

                      -dZ.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 1, 2007
                        --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, mattlavinder@... wrote:

                        > It sounds like you are suggesting a scripting language that could
                        be used
                        > to write macros. That sounds pretty complex to me. If you don't
                        mind
                        > sharing, what exactly are you using EditPlus for that requires such
                        > complex macros?
                        >
                        > I started the plug-in discussion, but the thing I would like to see
                        most
                        > is better support for regular expressions. I think this is the
                        ideal
                        > sort of enhancement because the feature already exists, so it
                        doesn't add
                        > complexity to the UI. It simply adds functionality without getting
                        in the
                        > way.
                        >

                        > "moorpipe" <moorpipe@...>
                        > Sent by: editplus@yahoogroups.com
                        > 11/01/2007 02:43 PM
                        > Please respond to
                        > editplus@yahoogroups.com

                        > editplus@yahoogroups.com
                        > cc
                        >
                        > Subject
                        > Re: [edit+] edit plus WISH LIST list
                        >

                        > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "dz@" <dz@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I am not opposed to a plug-in framework in EditPlus
                        > > in principle, and in fact I would certainly take
                        > > advantage of it if it were there. But, as a fellow
                        > > developer, I understand how invasive such a change
                        > > would be in the code base of a mature product like
                        > > EditPlus, just as you mentioned. I am, though, not
                        > > keen to the idea of de-stabilizing any mature
                        > > application with such a major structural change.
                        > > This is why I disagree with such proposals.
                        > >
                        > > -dZ.
                        > >

                        > Although not as versatile as a plug-in framework, an improved macro
                        > subsystem could make Edit+ even more attractive than it is right
                        now.
                        > Currently the macro capabilities are somewhat limited. If we were
                        > able to edit macros, or write (advanced) scripts, that would
                        > certainly help me a lot. I'm not a programmer but I think enhancing
                        > the macro subsystem should not really change the code base much,
                        thus
                        > keeping Edit+ as stable as it is. What do you think?
                        >
                        > rgrds,
                        > moorpipe.

                        On second thoughts a scripting language might indeed be too complex,
                        but being able to edit macros shouldn't be that difficult. I find
                        myself in situations that I need to modify just a few key strokes in
                        recorded macros. This is especially annoying if I have forgotten the
                        exact key sequences recorded. And that happens more when the time
                        between actually using some macros is growing. I use macros very
                        often. Not only to reduce the number of key strokes, but also to add
                        extra functionality to Edit+. E.g. I use a special align macro, that
                        is not natively supported by Edit+.
                        I second better support for regular expressions.

                        Moorpipe.
                      • Mark Kahn
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 1, 2007
                          full regex support, written in a few minutes:

                          http://editplus.info/wiki/User_Tools#Full_Prompted_RegEx_Replace

                          enjoy.

                          -Mark

                          On 11/1/07, moorpipe <moorpipe@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > > the macro subsystem should not really change the code base much,
                          > thus
                          > > keeping Edit+ as stable as it is. What do you think?
                          > >
                          > > rgrds,
                          > > moorpipe.
                          > >

                          > On second thoughts a scripting language might indeed be too complex,
                          > but being able to edit macros shouldn't be that difficult. I find
                          > myself in situations that I need to modify just a few key strokes in
                          > recorded macros. This is especially annoying if I have forgotten the
                          > exact key sequences recorded. And that happens more when the time
                          > between actually using some macros is growing. I use macros very
                          > often. Not only to reduce the number of key strokes, but also to add
                          > extra functionality to Edit+. E.g. I use a special align macro, that
                          > is not natively supported by Edit+.
                          > I second better support for regular expressions.

                        • Luis Sanchez
                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 5, 2007
                            The variable $ (filedir) is to select the current directory, which I use if I need a directory of the current low?

                            thank

                            Luis Alfonso Sánchez,
                            Analista Programador.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 5, 2007
                              Hola:
                              Luis, no comprendo tu mensaje propiamente. Si
                              deseas, puedes escribir a la list en español; algunos
                              miembros somos hispano-parlantes.

                              ---- Translation for respect to list members:
                              Luis, I can't understand your message properly. If
                              you want, you can write to the list in Spanish; some
                              of us members are Spanish-speakers).

                              -dZ.

                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 5, 2007
                                Hi,

                                I don't quite understand what you are saying here, but I'm guessing that you
                                want the directory ABOVE the current one?

                                for example the curent directory is c:\temp\demo and you want c:\temp? If
                                this is correct use:

                                ../$(filedir)

                                the "../" means "up one level"

                                -Mark

                                On 11/5/07, Luis Sanchez <asancheznc@...> wrote:

                                > The variable $ (filedir) is to select the current directory, which I use
                                > if I need a directory of the current low?
                                >
                                > thank
                                >
                                > Luis Alfonso Sánchez,
                                > Analista Programador.

                              • Mark Kahn
                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 5, 2007
                                  sorry, that's wrong...

                                  use $(filedir)/..

                                  -Mark

                                  On 11/5/07, Mark Kahn <cwolves@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi,
                                  >
                                  > I don't quite understand what you are saying here, but I'm guessing that
                                  > you want the directory ABOVE the current one?
                                  >
                                  > for example the curent directory is c:\temp\demo and you want c:\temp? If
                                  > this is correct use:
                                  >
                                  > ../$(filedir)
                                  >
                                  > the "../" means "up one level"
                                  >
                                  > -Mark
                                  >
                                  > On 11/5/07, Luis Sanchez < asancheznc@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > The variable $ (filedir) is to select the current directory, which I
                                  > > use if I need a directory of the current low?
                                  > >
                                  > > thank
                                  > >
                                  > > Luis Alfonso Sánchez,
                                  > > Analista Programador.

                                • Luis Sanchez
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 5, 2007
                                    Gracias por responder , lo que queria saber es que la variables $FILEDIR te indica el directorio actual. ahora para decirle en algun parametro que regrese al directorio anterior ejemplo

                                    c:\sistemas\conta\source (directorio Actual) $FILEDIR
                                    c:\sistemas\conta\ (directorio anterior) ???????

                                    Una pregunta mas cual es la direccion del grupo en español?

                                    Mil gracias

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Nov 5, 2007
                                      It worked correctly

                                      thank

                                      Mark Kahn <cwolves@...> escribió: sorry, that's wrong...

                                      use $(filedir)/..

                                      -Mark

                                      On 11/5/07, Mark Kahn <cwolves@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi,
                                      >
                                      > I don't quite understand what you are saying here, but I'm guessing that
                                      > you want the directory ABOVE the current one?
                                      >
                                      > for example the curent directory is c:\temp\demo and you want c:\temp? If
                                      > this is correct use:
                                      >
                                      > ../$(filedir)
                                      >
                                      > the "../" means "up one level"
                                      >
                                      > -Mark
                                      >
                                      > On 11/5/07, Luis Sanchez < asancheznc@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > The variable $ (filedir) is to select the current directory, which I
                                      > > use if I need a directory of the current low?
                                      > >
                                      > > thank
                                      > >
                                      > > Luis Alfonso Sánchez,
                                      > > Analista Programador.

                                      Luis Alfonso Sánchez,
                                      Analista Programador.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Nov 5, 2007
                                        Mark,
                                        I'm not sure, but I think his question is
                                        regarding directories below the current one ("Low"
                                        could be a mistranslation of "abajo" in Spanish,
                                        which also means "under").

                                        Luis,
                                        Si lo que buscas es como indicar un
                                        sub-directorio relativo al corriente, intenta lo
                                        siguiente:
                                        $(filedir)\subdir

                                        Si el directorio del archivo es "C:\foo\bar" y
                                        tu quieres indicar "C:\foo\bar\baz", entonces
                                        "$(filedir)\baz" es lo correcto.

                                        ---- Translation:
                                        Luis,
                                        If what you are looking for is how to indicate a
                                        sub-directory relative to the current one, then try
                                        the following:
                                        $(filedir)\subdir

                                        If the directory of the file is "C:\foo\bar" and
                                        you want to indicate "C:\foo\bar\baz", then
                                        "$(filedir)\baz" is correct.

                                        -dZ.

                                        P.D. I'm providing the translations out of respect
                                        for those members of the list whom are not Spanish
                                        speakers.

                                        -dZ.

                                        http://www.editplus.com
                                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                                      • dz@caribe.net
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Nov 5, 2007
                                          Ah, entonces es como Mark le respondió:
                                          $(filedir)\..
                                          Esto indicará el directorio anterior al corriente.

                                          >> Una pregunta mas cual es la direccion del grupo en
                                          español?

                                          Yo no creo que exista una lista en español. Pero no
                                          creo que haya problema en escribir a esta lista en
                                          español. Aquellos que entiendan le responderán -- y
                                          hay veces que alguien traducirá las preguntas para
                                          que otros puedan participar :)

                                          ---- TRANSLATION:
                                          Ah, then its as Mark answered:
                                          $(filedir)\..
                                          This is indicate the directory above the current one.

                                          >> One more question, what is the address for the
                                          Spanish group?

                                          I don't think there's a Spanish list. But I don't
                                          think there will be a problem if you write to this
                                          list in Spanish. Those who understand it, will
                                          respond -- and there may be someone who translates
                                          your messages so that others can participate :)

                                          -dZ.

                                          ???????

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Nov 5, 2007
                                            Muchas gracias a todos los que me ayudaron. todo esta funcionando bien como le tenia pensado.

                                            quedo a la orden.

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Nov 5, 2007
                                              For the benefit of Mark and others, Luis' message
                                              translates as follows:

                                              Thank you very much to all who helped me. Everthing
                                              is working well as I expected.

                                              I'm much obliged.

                                              --------