Files Locking

  • James Todd
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 7, 2007
      I have used Edit Plus for many years, and for many years I have loved
      the feature in which:
      if a file is changed outside of Edit Plus, Edit Plus alerts me and
      asks me if I want to refresh the document or keep what I have.

      well... somewhere along the way, Edit Plus has locked the files when I
      open them so that when I try to edit a file outside of Edit Plus I get
      a message saying the file is locked and is in use by another program.

      I want this madness to stop. I liked it better the old way when a
      file could be edited outside of Edit Plus and the program was smart
      enough to let the file be edited.
    • Mirco Malaguti
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 18, 2007
        This behaviour is the still the same, indeed.
        Maybe it's a matter of some config bits on your system.
        More precisely, I use a Windows 2000 desktop and never saw
        any difference in that respect.

        Regards,
        Mirco

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 15, 2007
          Thank you for the response.

          Does anybody else know of how to fix this issue?

          --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Mirco Malaguti" <mirco.malaguti@...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 16, 2007
            Hello:
            That's a Windows issue: applications can open files requesting
            exclusive access with no sharing allowed, which will block other
            applications from being able to even read it. This locking is
            performed at the Operating System/File Sytem level, and cannot be
            circumvented -- short of communicating directly with the HDD device
            drivers.

            It could also be an issue with the way the applications were
            developed. For example, Delphi (a programming language), has an
            annoying "bug" whereas if you called its function to create a file, it
            will ignore any sharing or access permissions you provided and open the
            file with exclusive access. While, if the file already existed, it
            will open the file equally, but honour the access and sharing
            permissions you provided. Both functions use the same Windows
            low-level API calls, they are just called differently. Perhaps the
            language designers didn't expect anybody would want to create a new
            file and allow sharing... Go figure.

            So, if an application was written using Delphi (which is still quite
            common for Windows applications), it is possible that the first time it
            creates a file, it will be locked (even though it didn't intend to),
            but when it closes and reopens the file, it will be unlocked. This is
            especially annoying when writing to log files.

            I know that this is probably more than you cared to know, but I just
            wanted to illustrate how EditPlus may not be at fault even when it
            seems its the one with the odd behaviour.

            dZ.

            --
            God is real, except when declared as integer; and infinite when divided
            by zero.
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 31, 2007
              Perhaps on the File Menu 'Lock Files' has been selected by mistake,
              possibley when trying to click 'Close All' ?

              Phil