Re: [edit+] "Find in Files" returns me wrong line numbers

  • Bronius Motekaitis
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 8, 2007
      If you can post some same files with orig file names (and it's not sensitive
      data), someone can try to reproduce the issue.. I've never had problems
      with find-in-files, not even in massively huge data files.

      -bronius

      On 7/8/07, DZ-Jay <dz@...> wrote:

      > On Jul 8, 2007, at 11:07, xof wrote:
      >
      > > After some research, I can precise a bit my problem:
      > >
      > > Editplus does not return "deprecated" results as I first thought, but
      > > results with wrong line numbers. Sometimes when I follow the "link" of
      > > result (by double clicking a result line), I don't find the text I am
      > > searching on the suggested line. Instead it is located 10 or 20 lines
      > > upper
      > > in the file. This is quite disturbing. I don't have any clue about the
      > > origin of this offset.
      > >

      > Could it be that the lines are "wrapped" and so they appear to display
      > lower?

      > "The mills of the gods grind slowly, yet the grind exceeding small."

    • xof
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 9, 2007
        Hi,

        Thank you for your ideas. I finally found the answer: the line numbers in
        the search result are wrong because some of my files are no more in correct
        PC text format.

        I tried to delete line after line in one of the erroneous files and noted
        that only some special lines were counting for two in the search result
        window. At the end I got a very simple file with a single corrupted line.
        Selecting this line was producing a weird move of the cursor. I could
        reproduce the corruption with "Duplicate the line" but not with a
        copy-paste.

        With an hexadecimal editor, I saw that the mysterious double counting chars
        were something like "0D0A" i.e. Carriage Return / Line Feed chars...

        In Tools/Preferences./Files., I then discovered that the checkbox "Check
        invalid CR/CF, null character when loading" was not (anymore?) checked! I
        reloaded my file and got an alert: "The text contains invalid CR/CF. Do you
        want to convert?".

        That solved the problem and restored my confidence in Editplus.

        I wonder how a regular file can become corrupted like this.

        Regards

        Christophe

      • cyberfunkr
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 7, 2007
          Checking the EditPlus website, there is a semi-recent patch out that
          covers this.

          DATE: 2007-07-10
          BUILD: 514

          This is a patch file to fix the bugs of EditPlus v2.31

          .
          .
          .
          * 'Save wrapped lines with CR/LF' option could corrupt file.
          .
          .
          .

          Apply the patch and see if this fixes your file.

          /Cyberfunkr