Re: [edit+] "Find in Files" returns me deprecated results

    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 8, 2007
      Hello:
      This may sound like a very stupid question, but it needs to be asked:
      Have you made sure the directory selected is the one you want, and that
      "include subdirectories" is ticked too?

      dZ.

      On Jul 8, 2007, at 05:38, xof wrote:

      > Hi,
      >

      > The feature Find in directory / Find in files do not work anymore on my
      > computer.
      >
      > I use this feature regularly and I appreciate its efficiency, but for
      > some
      > reason, it has ceased to work. It returns me old results, as if
      > Editplus was
      > searching in a deprecated, cached version of the files.
      >
      > Does anyone else have this problem too or is it just me ?
      >

      > Regards
      >
      > Christophe

    • xof
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 8, 2007
        Yes, I did check this. The only checked box is "include subfolders".

        I get a result that points me to a file that is effectively in the relevant
        directory. When I follow the "link" by double clicking the result line, it
        opens the right file on the line number as mentioned in the result but the
        line content do not match with what the result says. Actually the searched
        word was on this line some time ago but I deleted it (this was the goal of
        my search). It is as if Editplus was searching in a previous version of my
        file and was not able to actualize the search.

        Closing the file and restarting Editplus does not solve the problem.

        christophe

        _____

        This may sound like a very stupid question, but it needs to be asked:
        Have you made sure the directory selected is the one you want, and that
        "include subdirectories" is ticked too?

        dZ.

        On Jul 8, 2007, at 05:38, xof wrote:

        > Hi,
        >

        > The feature Find in directory / Find in files do not work anymore on my
        > computer.
        >
        > I use this feature regularly and I appreciate its efficiency, but for
        > some
        > reason, it has ceased to work. It returns me old results, as if
        > Editplus was
        > searching in a deprecated, cached version of the files.
        >
        > Does anyone else have this problem too or is it just me ?
        >

        > Regards
        >
        > Christophe

        > http://www.editplus <http://www.editplus.com> .com

      • xof
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 8, 2007
          After some research, I can precise a bit my problem:

          Editplus does not return "deprecated" results as I first thought, but
          results with wrong line numbers. Sometimes when I follow the "link" of a
          result (by double clicking a result line), I don't find the text I am
          searching on the suggested line. Instead it is located 10 or 20 lines upper
          in the file. This is quite disturbing. I don't have any clue about the
          origin of this offset.

          christophe

          _____

          From: editplus@yahoogroup <mailto:editplus%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
          This may sound like a very stupid question, but it needs to be asked:
          Have you made sure the directory selected is the one you want, and that
          "include subdirectories" is ticked too?

          dZ.

          On Jul 8, 2007, at 05:38, xof wrote:

          > Hi,
          >

          > The feature Find in directory / Find in files do not work anymore on my
          > computer.
          >
          > I use this feature regularly and I appreciate its efficiency, but for
          > some
          > reason, it has ceased to work. It returns me old results, as if
          > Editplus was
          > searching in a deprecated, cached version of the files.
          >
          > Does anyone else have this problem too or is it just me ?
          >

          > Regards
          >
          > Christophe

          > http://www.editplus <http://www.editplus <http://www.editplus.com> .com>
          .com

        • Damien
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 8, 2007
            > Hi,
            >
            > The feature Find in directory / Find in files do not work anymore on my
            > computer.
            >
            > I use this feature regularly and I appreciate its efficiency, but for some
            > reason, it has ceased to work. It returns me old results, as if Editplus was
            > searching in a deprecated, cached version of the files.
            >
            > Does anyone else have this problem too or is it just me ?
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > Christophe

            Hi Christophe,

            As far as I know, Editplus *does* keep a keyword index in memory after
            you give it a "Find in files" operation. However I'd be very surprised
            if it kept this index around after a restart. Try restarting EP and
            see if that helps. Otherwise, have a poke around for any
            likely-sounding files in the Editplus folder.

            And, as someone else said, make ultra-sure you're telling it to search
            the right place, with the correct file extensions, with "Current file
            directory" and "Subfolders" checkboxes ticked appropriately :)

            -Damien
          • damienie22
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 8, 2007
              Hmm, this is really interesting. Is it only happening in one
              particular directory? Is there a consistent line-offset amount? Or is
              the amount based on previous edits you've made to the file?
              Investigating more like this should help you decide what kind of
              problem it is.

              This sounds like an interesting bug, but I can't remember ever coming
              across it, and I'm a very frequent user of FIF. One thing -- do you
              have "Auto-reload on file modification" checked? If so, maybe the file
              is somehow changing between your search and your click on a results
              line. Another problem could be the word wrap setting (although, if EP
              isn't doing what you expect in this case, it's probably a bug, too :)

              Ultimately as a 'fix', I would try reinstalling Editplus. But then you
              might never find out what the problem was :) Have another look around
              your EP directory for the cache I mentioned -- maybe it is being
              persisted to disk somehow.

              --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "xof" <xofm1@...> wrote:

              > After some research, I can precise a bit my problem:
              >
              > Editplus does not return "deprecated" results as I first thought, but
              > results with wrong line numbers. Sometimes when I follow the "link" of a
              > result (by double clicking a result line), I don't find the text I am
              > searching on the suggested line. Instead it is located 10 or 20
              lines upper
              > in the file. This is quite disturbing. I don't have any clue about the
              > origin of this offset.
              >

              > christophe
              >

              > _____

              Behalf

              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 8, 2007
                On Jul 8, 2007, at 11:07, xof wrote:

                > After some research, I can precise a bit my problem:
                >
                > Editplus does not return "deprecated" results as I first thought, but
                > results with wrong line numbers. Sometimes when I follow the "link" of
                > result (by double clicking a result line), I don't find the text I am
                > searching on the suggested line. Instead it is located 10 or 20 lines
                > upper
                > in the file. This is quite disturbing. I don't have any clue about the
                > origin of this offset.

                Could it be that the lines are "wrapped" and so they appear to display
                lower?

                "The mills of the gods grind slowly, yet the grind exceeding small."
              • Bronius Motekaitis
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 8, 2007
                  If you can post some same files with orig file names (and it's not sensitive
                  data), someone can try to reproduce the issue.. I've never had problems
                  with find-in-files, not even in massively huge data files.

                  -bronius

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 9, 2007
                    Hi,

                    Thank you for your ideas. I finally found the answer: the line numbers in
                    the search result are wrong because some of my files are no more in correct
                    PC text format.

                    I tried to delete line after line in one of the erroneous files and noted
                    that only some special lines were counting for two in the search result
                    window. At the end I got a very simple file with a single corrupted line.
                    Selecting this line was producing a weird move of the cursor. I could
                    reproduce the corruption with "Duplicate the line" but not with a
                    copy-paste.

                    With an hexadecimal editor, I saw that the mysterious double counting chars
                    were something like "0D0A" i.e. Carriage Return / Line Feed chars...

                    In Tools/Preferences./Files., I then discovered that the checkbox "Check
                    invalid CR/CF, null character when loading" was not (anymore?) checked! I
                    reloaded my file and got an alert: "The text contains invalid CR/CF. Do you
                    want to convert?".

                    That solved the problem and restored my confidence in Editplus.

                    I wonder how a regular file can become corrupted like this.

                    Regards

                    Christophe

                  • cyberfunkr
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 7, 2007
                      Checking the EditPlus website, there is a semi-recent patch out that
                      covers this.

                      DATE: 2007-07-10
                      BUILD: 514

                      This is a patch file to fix the bugs of EditPlus v2.31

                      .
                      .
                      .
                      * 'Save wrapped lines with CR/LF' option could corrupt file.
                      .
                      .
                      .

                      Apply the patch and see if this fixes your file.

                      /Cyberfunkr