new version?

  • Shanghainese
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2001
      Does editplus stop developing?
      I have been waiting for the new version for 9 months...

      http://phone.yahoo.com
    • Shanghainese
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2001
        I am still using version 2.10c.

        How can I be a beta tester? I can't find any info on
        their website.

        I agree EditPlus is the best editor for programmer,
        but it still needs to improve his features, ie, search
        and replace in directories/subdirectories not only in
        all open files; the context tagging feature; fast open
        very large file; more regular expressions options etc.
        I have submitted these suggestions to the author but
        never get reply:(

        --- "John <--=" <jmmorse@...> wrote:
        > Do you have version 2.11 ? If not you may want to
        > apply for being a Beta
        > Tester.............In my oppinion, even if they
        > never made another change to
        > Edit+ it would still be the best editor around.
        > Just be patient, I'm sure you'll get what you want.
        >
        > ~John

        http://phone.yahoo.com
      • John <--=

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2001
            send an email to this address:
            support@...
            and let them know that you would like to be a Beta-Tester.

            Hope this helps......

            ~John

            > How can I be a beta tester? I can't find any info on
            > their website.
            >
            > I agree EditPlus is the best editor for programmer,
            > but it still needs to improve his features, ie, search
            > and replace in directories/subdirectories not only in
            > all open files; the context tagging feature; fast open
            > very large file; more regular expressions options etc.
            > I have submitted these suggestions to the author but
            > never get reply:(
            >

            > --- "John <--=" <jmmorse@...> wrote:
            > > Do you have version 2.11 ? If not you may want to
            > > apply for being a Beta
            > > Tester.............In my oppinion, even if they
            > > never made another change to
            > > Edit+ it would still be the best editor around.
            > > Just be patient, I'm sure you'll get what you want.
            > >
            > > ~John

            ---
          • gussopops@yahoo.se
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 12, 2001
              Shanghainese <sh2sg@y...> wrote:

              > Does editplus stop developing?
              > I have been waiting for the new version for 9 months...

              It's not only about releasing new updates all the time! Don't wait
              for new versions, unless you have good ideas for how a program could
              be better. New functions makes a program larger, slower and less
              stable, so each new idea has to be deliberately planned and carefully
              implemented. If it adds too much in size or speed, then remove it.
              Less is more. :-)
            • BBoy
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 12, 2001
                --- In editplus@y..., gussopops@y... wrote:
                > Shanghainese <sh2sg@y...> wrote:

                > Less is more. :-)

                I completely agree.
              • gilles.reeves@libertysurf.fr
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 2, 2001
                  --- In editplus@y..., gussopops@y... wrote:
                  > It's not only about releasing new updates all the time! Don't wait
                  > for new versions, unless you have good ideas for how a program
                  could
                  > be better. New functions makes a program larger, slower and less
                  > stable, so each new idea has to be deliberately planned and
                  carefully
                  > implemented. If it adds too much in size or speed, then remove it.
                  > Less is more. :-)

                  Hello.

                  I have some suggestion that would be very useful in my opinion.

                  1) I would like EditPlus to have full network support: it is quite
                  painful to have to assign a drive letter on each remote resource I
                  want to use as I work almost always on remote drives (EditPlus being
                  more practical than the editors I have on my Linux box... :-) ).
                  2) Would it be possible to give the ability to - optionally -
                  automatically go to a specific directory each time you select a
                  projet ? This directory could also be a projet based home directory,
                  with a specific command (ant/or icon) to go inside, and each project
                  could also maintain a list of associated directories where you could
                  go inside very quickly.
                  2bis) The left pane could also have a "Project" section in addition
                  to the "Directory" and "Cliptext" sections. I think I would prefer
                  that to the menu based project list.
                  3) The function list based on regular expressions is very useful.
                  Anyway, I would like if it would be possible to NOT display the whole
                  line each time, but rather selected part(s) - like only name - based
                  on tagged expressions inside the regular expression itself. For
                  example, you could, for each matched line, display a specific pattern
                  like if the line was "search & replaced"; this specific pattern could
                  include both constant strings and any tag from \1 to \9.
                  Also it would be pratical to be able to sort this display on some
                  criterias...
                  4) Although the use of MS-Dos is getting more and more seldom, I
                  would like to be able to edit files in DOS-OEM character set. I can
                  of course already use the 'Terminal' font to display them properly,
                  but if I want to modify them, I get mistakes each time I want to type
                  letters with accents. This especially concerns non-English speakers
                  like me ! .. A good way to do that would be to add a "MsDos-OEM" item
                  to the "Document"/"Encoding type" menu, so you could also quickly
                  convert between OEM to Ansi/Latin-1 character set.
                  4bis) By the way, why not also adding "Macintosh" and maybe "EBCDIC"
                  items to the same menu ?

                  I think none of these features would affect largely the size or the
                  speed of EditPlus, but they would be very good extensions....

                  Gilles Reeves
                  (new user of this list but already abusively writing :-) )
                • gf_gollum@yahoo.co.uk
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 2, 2001
                    > 1) I would like EditPlus to have full network support:
                    It already does - you can use UNC paths instead of drive letters.

                    > 2) Would it be possible to give the ability to - optionally -
                    > automatically go to a specific directory each time you select a
                    > projet ?
                    I assume you mean - setting the working directory. I support your
                    suggestion. (a checkbox option on File / Project Open would suffice)

                    > 2bis) The left pane could also have a "Project" section in addition
                    > to the "Directory" and "Cliptext" sections. I think I would prefer
                    > that to the menu based project list.

                    In the latest beta's, you can select Project as a "folder" in the
                    Directory tab. I'm happy with this approach as it would get confusing
                    having projects displaid and a separate (unrelated?) directory also
                    shown

                    Regarding your other suggestions - I wouldn't use them myself...

                    I have one suggestion of my own - which is that the Function List
                    should be able to work across all open windows. Then, when you are
                    following code you can open the project and skip between files easily
                    as you follow the code logic.
                    Regards
                    Graham
                  • Gilles Reeves
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 2, 2001
                      > > 1) I would like EditPlus to have full network support:
                      > It already does - you can use UNC paths instead of drive letters.

                      Mmmm.... I suppose you mean typing the UNC path into the "open" box or including it into the
                      project list ?
                      Ok, I can do that. But actually I wouldn't be able to only do that : I also want to be able to
                      BROWSE into the networked drive into the left pane directory !
                      Or did I miss something ?

                      > > 2) Would it be possible to give the ability to - optionally -
                      > > automatically go to a specific directory each time you select a
                      > > projet ?
                      > I assume you mean - setting the working directory. I support your
                      > suggestion. (a checkbox option on File / Project Open would suffice)

                      That's I meant, yes, of course.

                      > > 2bis) The left pane could also have a "Project" section in addition
                      > > to the "Directory" and "Cliptext" sections. I think I would prefer
                      > > that to the menu based project list.
                      >
                      > In the latest beta's, you can select Project as a "folder" in the
                      > Directory tab. I'm happy with this approach as it would get confusing
                      > having projects displaid and a separate (unrelated?) directory also
                      > shown

                      Great, if it is really what I meant !
                      I don't have the project beta, yet.

                      > Regarding your other suggestions - I wouldn't use them myself...

                      Of course, the character set problem rarely concerns english speakers.... :-))))))

                      Gilles Reeves.
                    • gf_gollum@yahoo.co.uk
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 2, 2001
                        --- In editplus@y..., "Gilles Reeves" <gilles.reeves@l...> wrote:
                        > Mmmm.... I suppose you mean typing the UNC path into the "open" box
                        or including it into the
                        > project list ?
                        > Ok, I can do that. But actually I wouldn't be able to only do
                        that : I also want to be able to
                        > BROWSE into the networked drive into the left pane directory !
                        > Or did I miss something ?

                        When I go to open a file - I have Network Neighbourhood listed in
                        the "drive" selector box - from there I can browse any file anywhere.
                        This may be a feature of 2.11 beta though?? (It also has an option to
                        open files using many different character set convertors - which may
                        address your other issues). I no longer have 2.10c - so I can't
                        recall what has changed.