Re: Fwd: [EditPlus Beta] v2.31 build 406 Official Release

  • T Cosmas
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 15, 2007
      --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, DZ-Jay <dz@...> wrote:

      EPP 2.30 (394):
      > * 'Capitalize' command could not recognize apostrophe.

      Still appears to be a 'problem' in EP 2.31 (406):

      Pre-Capitalize = "Welcome to D'Angelo fine Italian baking web wite"

      Post-Capitalize = "Welcome To D'angelo Fine Italian Baking Web Site"

      Seem like EP should ignore (or better yet, accept) the capital letter
      after the apostrophe.

      Thanks.
    • bpat1434
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 15, 2007
        --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "T Cosmas" <t_cosmas@...> wrote:

        > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, DZ-Jay <dz@> wrote:

        > EPP 2.30 (394):
        > > * 'Capitalize' command could not recognize apostrophe.
        >
        > Still appears to be a 'problem' in EP 2.31 (406):
        >
        > Pre-Capitalize = "Welcome to D'Angelo fine Italian baking web wite"
        >
        > Post-Capitalize = "Welcome To D'angelo Fine Italian Baking Web Site"
        >
        > Seem like EP should ignore (or better yet, accept) the capital letter
        > after the apostrophe.
        >
        > Thanks.

        I disagree with this. Consider this:

        I don't think it's a good idea because it isn't my idea.

        If it accepts the apostrophe, then it becomes:

        I Don'T Think It'S A Good Idea Because It Isn'T My Idea.

        That's just not what we want. If it were to ignore the apostrophe,
        that would be nice, but I don't see it happening.
      • T Cosmas
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 16, 2007
          I agree that capitalizing every character after an apostrophe is
          undesirable. I specifically meant to indicate that I would like EP to
          only apply the Upper Case to each initial letter in each word. As a
          matter of fact, I was taught in grammar school that NOT ALL word are
          to be capitalize in a title. Also, today we have a number of 'new'
          words with unusual capitalization (i.e., iPod, iMac, phpBB, etc.). So,
          As evidenced in the page linked below, I guess there is no easy way to
          handle this problem easily.

          This web page details some of the programming objectives and hurdles:
          http://search.cpan.org/~doom/Text-Capitalize-0.3/Capitalize.pm#___top

          Lists the regular rules for Capitalization:
          ALL words in EVERY title are capitalized except
          (1) a, an, and the,
          (2) two and three letter conjunctions
          (and, or, nor, for, but, so, yet),
          (3) prepositions.

          Exceptions: The first and last words are always capitalized even
          if they are among the above three groups.

          The page goes on the describe some programmatic solutions and trade
          offs made to reach them.

          Thanks.
        • Richard Grevers
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 17, 2007

            >> > * 'Capitalize' command could not recognize apostrophe.
            >> Still appears to be a 'problem' in EP 2.31 (406):

            >> Pre-Capitalize = "Welcome to D'Angelo fine Italian baking web wite"

            >> Post-Capitalize = "Welcome To D'angelo Fine Italian Baking Web Site"

            >> Seem like EP should ignore (or better yet, accept) the capital letter
            >
            >> after the apostrophe.
            >>

            > I disagree with this. Consider this:
            >
            > I don't think it's a good idea because it isn't my idea.
            >

            > If it accepts the apostrophe, then it becomes:
            >
            > I Don'T Think It'S A Good Idea Because It Isn'T My Idea.
            >

            > That's just not what we want. If it were to ignore the apostrophe,

            "Accepting the apostrophe" means "Leave the letter following the
            apostrophe untouched", so an existing uppercase should be retained.
            The old bug was exactly what bpat described.
            The solution has apparently been to force-lowercase the letter following
            each apostophe - which is an improvement but still not the optimal fix.

            --
            Richard Grevers
            I'm lactose intolerant - I get really annoyed driving behind slow milk