Suggestions for the future versions

  • LEMONed
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 23, 2007
      # Use Windows Visualstyle tab bar (like dir/cliptext sidebar tabs)
      # Double click closes a tab
      # Drag a tab to change its order
      # Add "cycle" option for Search/Replace direction
      # Add "Go to last/previous line" function (2 buttons on toolbar)
      # Use some beautiful icons, please!!!!!
    • Michael L. Jones
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 26, 2007
        See below.

        --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "LEMONed" <ilemoned@...> wrote:

        > # Use Windows Visualstyle tab bar (like dir/cliptext sidebar tabs)

        I don't know what this means.

        > # Double click closes a tab

        The standard in Windows is to open something when you double-click on
        it. Since the tab is already open, this doesn't apply, but I sure
        wouldn't want the tab to close.

        > # Drag a tab to change its order

        Yes.

        > # Add "cycle" option for Search/Replace direction

        If by "cycle" you mean back to the top of the file, that's already
        there (Wrap at the end of file). If you mean cycle through the open
        tabs, then yes. Find in files, open files, is a pain when you want to
        jump to each instance, unless I missed a shortcut some place.

        > # Add "Go to last/previous line" function (2 buttons on toolbar)

        If you mean jump back to the line you just left, say after finding
        something, then yes. A big yes if there was a stack of previous lines.

        > # Use some beautiful icons, please!!!!!

        Windows-standard icons would be great, even if they're not beautiful.
      • Aleem Juma
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 26, 2007
          See below

          On 26/02/07, Michael L. Jones <mljones1947@...> wrote:
          > See below.
          >
          > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "LEMONed" <ilemoned@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > # Use Windows Visualstyle tab bar (like dir/cliptext sidebar tabs)
          > I don't know what this means.

          I think this means using a standard tab control for window tabs.

          > > # Double click closes a tab
          > The standard in Windows is to open something when you double-click on
          > it. Since the tab is already open, this doesn't apply, but I sure
          > wouldn't want the tab to close.

          I agree with Michael. My mouse sometimes generates extra clicks - a
          common problem due to dodgy microswitches under the buttons. If i was
          switching to a window and the window closed because that happened I
          would be mightily annoyed.

          > > # Drag a tab to change its order
          > Yes.
          >
          > > # Add "cycle" option for Search/Replace direction
          > If by "cycle" you mean back to the top of the file, that's already
          > there (Wrap at the end of file). If you mean cycle through the open
          > tabs, then yes. Find in files, open files, is a pain when you want to
          > jump to each instance, unless I missed a shortcut some place.

          Yes cycling through tabs is definitely something I'd like to see too.

          > > # Add "Go to last/previous line" function (2 buttons on toolbar)
          > If you mean jump back to the line you just left, say after finding
          > something, then yes. A big yes if there was a stack of previous lines.

          Yes this would be nice.

          > > # Use some beautiful icons, please!!!!!
          > Windows-standard icons would be great, even if they're not beautiful.

          Certainly worth considering.
        • Richard Grevers
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 27, 2007
            On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 12:11:02 +1300, LEMONed <ilemoned@...> gave
            utterance to the following:

            > # Double click closes a tab

            Shift-click to close - its much less "dangerous", and its what I always
            try to do anyway (Because I'm using Opera so much!)

            > # Drag a tab to change its order

            yes, the ability to group would be good!

            > # Add "Go to last/previous line" function (2 buttons on toolbar)

            um, unless you have wrapping on I think that's called the up and down
            arrow keys

            --
            Richard Grevers
            I'm lactose intolerant - I get really annoyed driving behind slow milk
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 27, 2007
              On Feb 26, 2007, at 18:25, Michael L. Jones wrote:

              >> # Add "Go to last/previous line" function (2 buttons on toolbar)
              >
              > If you mean jump back to the line you just left, say after finding
              > something, then yes. A big yes if there was a stack of previous lines.

              Hit F9 (bookmark) as you step through the lines, then SHIFT+F4 will
              roll back to them. F4 will cycle through them in to-to-bottom order.

              FACTS:
              1. Ninjas are mammals.
              2. Ninjas fight ALL the time.
              3. The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 27, 2007
                On Feb 27, 2007, at 04:23, Richard Grevers wrote:

                >> # Double click closes a tab
                >
                > Shift-click to close - its much less "dangerous", and its what I always
                > try to do anyway (Because I'm using Opera so much!)

                I Middle-Click to close. Its an option (right-click on the tab bar to
                get the options menu). This is my perferred behavior in Opera,
                Firefox, BDS, and EditPlus.

                Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish.
                Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 27, 2007
                  On Feb 27, 2007, at 04:23, Richard Grevers wrote:

                  >> # Drag a tab to change its order
                  >
                  > yes, the ability to group would be good!

                  Not exactly the same (drag-n-drop tabs would be great!), but you can
                  open up the Windows menu (F11), and re-order them there with the Up and
                  Down buttons. That's how I group my windows.

                  [localhost] # chown -R us /usr/home/*/base
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 27, 2007
                    On Feb 27, 2007, at 04:23, Richard Grevers wrote:

                    >> # Add "Go to last/previous line" function (2 buttons on toolbar)
                    >
                    > um, unless you have wrapping on I think that's called the up and down
                    > arrow keys

                    I think he meant the last selected line (even if you randomly click on
                    lines). Some development environments have this (BDS 2006 unrolls the
                    cursor movements as part of the undo stack, which I find insanely
                    annoying!)

                    God is real, except when declared as integer; and infinite when divided
                    by zero.
                  • Anthony Scaife
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 27, 2007
                      Writing PHP, it has become my practice to comment the major blocks
                      of code with /// rather than //.

                      I can then use 'Find in Files' so search for '///' and find these
                      blocks.

                      It works well:
                      ---------- Find in open document(s) ----------
                      "ftp(1):/www/s.php"(45,1):/// function stripos($haystack)
                      "ftp(1):/www/s.php"(52,1):/// function m3plural($value)
                      "ftp(1):/www/s.php"(65,1):/// class m3 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "ftp(1):/www/s.php"(70,1):/// setDebug($state)
                      "ftp(1):/www/s.php"(76,1):/// debugInfo($info)
                      "ftp(1):/www/s.php"(87,1):/// class m3wordList ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "ftp(1):/www/s.php"(92,1):/// m3wordList()
                      "ftp(1):/www/s.php"(98,1):/// add($word)
                      "ftp(1):/www/s.php"(104,1):/// get()
                      "ftp(1):/www/s.php"(121,1):/// class m3emailForm ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "ftp(1):/www/s.php"(125,1):/// m3emailForm($url)
                      "ftp(1):/www/s.php"(147,1):/// class m3gallery ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "ftp(1):/www/s.php"(152,1):/// m3gallery($url)
                      "ftp(1):/www/s.php"(159,1):/// formTag($filename, $class="")
                      "ftp(1):/www/s.php"(168,1):/// class m3link ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "ftp(1):/www/s.php"(174,1):/// m3link($lhs, $rhs)
                      "ftp(1):/www/s.php"(182,1):/// formTag($mid, $content)
                      "ftp(1):/www/s.php"(193,1):/// class m3mysql ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "ftp(1):/www/s.php"(202,1):/// m3mysql($server, $un, $pw)
                      "ftp(1):/www/s.php"(211,1):/// connect()
                      "ftp(1):/www/s.php"(228,1):/// query($sql)
                      "ftp(1):/www/s.php"(263,1):/// getRow($row=-1)
                      "ftp(1):/www/s.php"(285,1):/// table($sql)
                      23 occurrences have been found.
                      Output completed (0 sec consumed)

                      It would work wonderfully if editplus had an option to code fold on
                      all the 'Find in Files' results.
                    • Michael L. Jones
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 27, 2007
                        I couldn't count the times that I've drilled down into code, usually
                        several levels, then stepped back level by level.

                        Using markers takes an extra step (F9) that you might not remember to
                        take before you left the line. Plus, you'd have to clear them as you
                        stepped back to the starting point, because you don't want the markers
                        to exist the next time you drill down.

                        Also, this would make the markers useless if you wanted to set them
                        based on a search, then drill down as you cycled through the markers.
                        The search and drill-down markers could be interleaved, so Shift+F4
                        would be problematic.

                        It seems that maintaining a stack of lines would be relatively easy to
                        implement and save the user a lot of effort.

                      • qsfe-kdhw@spamex.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 27, 2007
                          Wow -- this is what I love about this list: discovering the odd little
                          tidbit here and there. And here I always thought there was NO way of
                          reordering tabs! Yay!!

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 1, 2007
                            On Feb 27, 2007, at 14:50, Michael L. Jones wrote:

                            > Using markers takes an extra step (F9) that you might not remember to
                            > take before you left the line. Plus, you'd have to clear them as you
                            > stepped back to the starting point, because you don't want the markers
                            > to exist the next time you drill down.

                            I agree; I was just offering a possible solution for navigation until
                            such time when this feature is implemented, if at all.

                            A few other means that you can employ, which may help in your
                            navigation are:

                            1. Use the "Function List" window. Alternatively you can edit the
                            regular expression with a pattern of your own to catch other "titular"
                            sections of your document/code file, which do not need to be
                            "functions".

                            2. The Function List window contains a feature that auto-marks all
                            function header lines, so that you are able to step through all
                            functions quickly using F4/SHIFT+F4 without having to open the window
                            again.

                            3. Perform a "Find in Files" search for a specific pattern, in the
                            current file, then double click the lines in the output window to go
                            directly to them.

                            These are just some of the navigational methods inherent in EditPlus.
                            They may not be the best or the most common, but once you get used to
                            using them, it becomes easier to traverse large files. Everyone has
                            their preferred method from their alternative editor, but the fact that
                            such method is not available in EditPlus does not mean that you have to
                            be stuck using just the "up/down" arrow/page keys.

                            I hope this helps,

                            If it wasn't for C, we would be stuck using BASI, PASAL and OBOL.
                          • Carlo
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 14, 2007
                              Just one more suggestion, auto indent for some languages like html,
                              java, c..

                              tks
                              Carlo

                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 14, 2007
                                already implemented

                                tools -> preferences -> files / settings and syntax -> tab/indent button
                                can set auto-indent settings there.