Tool Output Pattern Question

  • Dan Anderson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2007
      Does anyone know if it is possible to setup the output pattern of a
      tool to jump to a line in the current active file buffer (rather than
      specifying a file name)? I have a tool that does not output the file
      name and can be run on an unsaved file buffer. I would like to be
      able to follow line references to the currently active file buffer.
      If I setup a custom output pattern with a regular expression to get
      the line, but not to get the file name (left as "none"), it does not work.

      Thanks.
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
        On Jan 31, 2007, at 09:41, Dan Anderson wrote:

        > Does anyone know if it is possible to setup the output pattern of a
        > tool to jump to a line in the current active file buffer (rather than
        > specifying a file name)? I have a tool that does not output the file
        > name and can be run on an unsaved file buffer. I would like to be
        > able to follow line references to the currently active file buffer.
        > If I setup a custom output pattern with a regular expression to get
        > the line, but not to get the file name (left as "none"), it does not
        > work.

        I think you have to specify the current file as the filename. It is
        possible, this is how EditPlus itself does it with the Search In Files.

        dZ.
      • Dan Anderson
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
          --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, DZ-Jay <dz@...> wrote:

          > On Jan 31, 2007, at 09:41, Dan Anderson wrote:
          >
          > > Does anyone know if it is possible to setup the output pattern of a
          > > tool to jump to a line in the current active file buffer (rather than
          > > specifying a file name)? I have a tool that does not output the file
          > > name and can be run on an unsaved file buffer. I would like to be
          > > able to follow line references to the currently active file buffer.
          > > If I setup a custom output pattern with a regular expression to get
          > > the line, but not to get the file name (left as "none"), it does not
          > > work.
          >
          > I think you have to specify the current file as the filename. It is
          > possible, this is how EditPlus itself does it with the Search In Files.
          >
          > dZ.

          That's the problem. If the file is not saved yet, it doesn't have a
          filename. The search in documents does exactly what I would like to
          do with my tool. It uses the buffer name (e.g. "NoName1" in the
          output). When configuring a tool, there's no way to get the name for
          an unsaved file. If the $FileName argument is used, it prompts to
          save the file (which I often don't want to do) if it has never been saved.
        • Bronius Motekaitis
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
            Sounds like a behavior similar to when you CTRL+B on an unsaved file to
            preview in browser.. The functionality is there, but perhaps no keywords
            for it?

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
                --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Bronius Motekaitis"
                Yeah. Exactly. The logic is definitely there since it works for find
                in files. The $FileName and $FileDir keywords just don't implement it
                I guess. I would love to see this as an enhancement.

                Speaking of which what is the most effective way to request
                enhancements to EditPlus?