Re: [edit+] Clicking at end of line creates a new end of line.

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 19, 2006
      On Oct 19, 2006, at 20:27, lists@... wrote:

      >> I'm wondering about the EditPlus feature that lets you click beyond
      >> the end of the line and then enter text to extend the line from that
      >> point.
      >>
      >> I suppose it was designed for putting a comment off to the right of a
      >> line of code without typing spaces or tabs.
      >>
      >> If this is an option, I'd like to turn it off. I'm used to clicking
      >> this way (e.g. in notepad) to get to the existing end of the line.
      >>
      > Huh? Clicking to the right of the line in MY editplus does just
      > position
      > the cursor at the end of the line (including whitespace). Are you sure
      > your content doesn't have a lot of whitespace appended to it? (Click
      > within a line and hit the end key to check).

      Its an option. I've forgotten what its called, but I think its
      something like "Allow Virtual Space", in the General section of the
      Preferences window. When its disabled, clicking anywhere on the right
      margin will put the cursor immediately after the last character of the
      line (not necessarily where you clicked), which is what I think you
      want.

      -dZ.
    • maXmo
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 20, 2006
        In fact it's in the "Edit" menu.

        >Its an option. I've forgotten what its called, but I think its
        >something like "Allow Virtual Space", in the General section of the
        >Preferences window.
      • Bronius Motekaitis
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 20, 2006
          I never before put my finger on it, but thanks to this discussion, I've
          identified one key annoyance factor with other text editors-- call me a
          traditionalist, but I can't stand it when other editors do that. Good to
          know EP has the option should you want it...

          On 10/19/06, DZ-Jay <dz@...> wrote:

          > On Oct 19, 2006, at 20:27, lists@... <lists%40dramatic.co.nz>wrote:
          >
          > >> I'm wondering about the EditPlus feature that lets you click beyond
          > >> the end of the line and then enter text to extend the line from that
          > >> point.
          > >>
          > >> I suppose it was designed for putting a comment off to the right of a
          > >> line of code without typing spaces or tabs.
          > >>
          > >> If this is an option, I'd like to turn it off. I'm used to clicking
          > >> this way (e.g. in notepad) to get to the existing end of the line.
          > >>
          > > Huh? Clicking to the right of the line in MY editplus does just
          > > position
          > > the cursor at the end of the line (including whitespace). Are you sure
          > > your content doesn't have a lot of whitespace appended to it? (Click
          > > within a line and hit the end key to check).
          > >

          > Its an option. I've forgotten what its called, but I think its
          > something like "Allow Virtual Space", in the General section of the
          > Preferences window. When its disabled, clicking anywhere on the right
          > margin will put the cursor immediately after the last character of the
          > line (not necessarily where you clicked), which is what I think you
          > want.
          >
          > -dZ.

        • scottslocum002
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 20, 2006
            Thanks, DZ-Jay and maXmo, for answering my question. To sum it up:
            when you have a file open, you can toggle the edit-menu option "Allow
            Virtual Space", and it applies to all of the files you open after that
            point. I, like DZ-Jay, was looking in the "Tools, Preferences" menu.

            --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Bronius Motekaitis"

          • dz@caribe.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 20, 2006
              Some "global" options have migrated from the
              Preferences window to the menus exclusively during
              the last version. Since I set these options a long,
              long time ago, and never revisited them, I hadn't
              noticed they stopped existing as part of the preferences.

              This is somewhat weird, as you have options scattered
              throughout both places, menus and the Preferences
              window. Perhaps its an oversight from Sangil?

              -dZ.

              http://www.editplus.com
              Yahoo! Groups Links