Re: [edit+] Clicking at end of line creates a new end of line.

  • lists@dramatic.co.nz
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 19, 2006
      > I'm wondering about the EditPlus feature that lets you click beyond
      > the end of the line and then enter text to extend the line from that
      > point.
      >
      > I suppose it was designed for putting a comment off to the right of a
      > line of code without typing spaces or tabs.
      >
      > If this is an option, I'd like to turn it off. I'm used to clicking
      > this way (e.g. in notepad) to get to the existing end of the line.

      Huh? Clicking to the right of the line in MY editplus does just position
      the cursor at the end of the line (including whitespace). Are you sure
      your content doesn't have a lot of whitespace appended to it? (Click
      within a line and hit the end key to check).
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 19, 2006
        On Oct 19, 2006, at 20:27, lists@... wrote:

        >> I'm wondering about the EditPlus feature that lets you click beyond
        >> the end of the line and then enter text to extend the line from that
        >> point.
        >>
        >> I suppose it was designed for putting a comment off to the right of a
        >> line of code without typing spaces or tabs.
        >>
        >> If this is an option, I'd like to turn it off. I'm used to clicking
        >> this way (e.g. in notepad) to get to the existing end of the line.
        >>
        > Huh? Clicking to the right of the line in MY editplus does just
        > position
        > the cursor at the end of the line (including whitespace). Are you sure
        > your content doesn't have a lot of whitespace appended to it? (Click
        > within a line and hit the end key to check).

        Its an option. I've forgotten what its called, but I think its
        something like "Allow Virtual Space", in the General section of the
        Preferences window. When its disabled, clicking anywhere on the right
        margin will put the cursor immediately after the last character of the
        line (not necessarily where you clicked), which is what I think you
        want.

        -dZ.
      • maXmo
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 20, 2006
          In fact it's in the "Edit" menu.

          >Its an option. I've forgotten what its called, but I think its
          >something like "Allow Virtual Space", in the General section of the
          >Preferences window.
        • Bronius Motekaitis
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 20, 2006
            I never before put my finger on it, but thanks to this discussion, I've
            identified one key annoyance factor with other text editors-- call me a
            traditionalist, but I can't stand it when other editors do that. Good to
            know EP has the option should you want it...

            On 10/19/06, DZ-Jay <dz@...> wrote:

            > On Oct 19, 2006, at 20:27, lists@... <lists%40dramatic.co.nz>wrote:
            >
            > >> I'm wondering about the EditPlus feature that lets you click beyond
            > >> the end of the line and then enter text to extend the line from that
            > >> point.
            > >>
            > >> I suppose it was designed for putting a comment off to the right of a
            > >> line of code without typing spaces or tabs.
            > >>
            > >> If this is an option, I'd like to turn it off. I'm used to clicking
            > >> this way (e.g. in notepad) to get to the existing end of the line.
            > >>
            > > Huh? Clicking to the right of the line in MY editplus does just
            > > position
            > > the cursor at the end of the line (including whitespace). Are you sure
            > > your content doesn't have a lot of whitespace appended to it? (Click
            > > within a line and hit the end key to check).
            > >

            > Its an option. I've forgotten what its called, but I think its
            > something like "Allow Virtual Space", in the General section of the
            > Preferences window. When its disabled, clicking anywhere on the right
            > margin will put the cursor immediately after the last character of the
            > line (not necessarily where you clicked), which is what I think you
            > want.
            >
            > -dZ.

          • scottslocum002
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 20, 2006
              Thanks, DZ-Jay and maXmo, for answering my question. To sum it up:
              when you have a file open, you can toggle the edit-menu option "Allow
              Virtual Space", and it applies to all of the files you open after that
              point. I, like DZ-Jay, was looking in the "Tools, Preferences" menu.

              --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Bronius Motekaitis"

            • dz@caribe.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 20, 2006
                Some "global" options have migrated from the
                Preferences window to the menus exclusively during
                the last version. Since I set these options a long,
                long time ago, and never revisited them, I hadn't
                noticed they stopped existing as part of the preferences.

                This is somewhat weird, as you have options scattered
                throughout both places, menus and the Preferences
                window. Perhaps its an oversight from Sangil?

                -dZ.

                http://www.editplus.com
                Yahoo! Groups Links