Re: help with ftp + compile

  • J
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2006
      From the putty help:

      "In SSH, you don't have to run a general shell session on
      the server. Instead, you can choose to run a single
      specific command (such as a mail user agent, for example).
      If you want to do this, enter the command in the
      ‘Remote command’ box."

      Can you use this to call the remote build?

      Alternatively, can you build locally, and upload the class
      files to the remote machine?

      > help with ftp + compile
      > Posted by: "arabhass" hassanarab@... arabhass
      > Date: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:19 pm (PDT)
      >
      > Hi,
      >
      > I've started using editlpus to access files on a Mac Mini
      > that we
      > access via ftp (we run a windows network). At the moment
      > I edit the
      > files in editplus (editplus does the ftp access d/l and
      > u/l, then I use
      > PuTTY to log in to the same Mac and run a command line
      > compiler, to
      > compile the files I changed.
      >
      > I've used the "User Tools" before to integrate local
      > compilers into
      > Editlpus (making it an all in one solution). I would like
      > to do the
      > same for this, however, if i use the "Directory Window"
      > as my initial
      > directory or path.. it doesn't work.
      >
      > Suggestions?
      >
      > Thanks

      http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
    • arabhass
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 12, 2006
        Can't build locally, compiler is on remote server and we have to have
        it on a PowerPC so no Intel PCs.

        I tried using the Remote Command option, but I'm not sure its
        invoking the command, reason is that when the session opens I have to
        log in with a user name and password, then nothing happens (just
        normal). Is there a way around this, and how will I see the compile
        in EditPlus (i.e. warnings and errors)?

        Thanks for the suggestions.

        --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, J <morrispeckham@...> wrote:

        > From the putty help:
        >
        > "In SSH, you don't have to run a general shell session on
        > the server. Instead, you can choose to run a single
        > specific command (such as a mail user agent, for example).
        > If you want to do this, enter the command in the
        > ‘Remote command’ box."
        >
        > Can you use this to call the remote build?
        >
        > Alternatively, can you build locally, and upload the class
        > files to the remote machine?
        >
        > > help with ftp + compile
        > > Posted by: "arabhass" hassanarab@... arabhass
        > > Date: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:19 pm (PDT)
        > >
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I've started using editlpus to access files on a Mac Mini
        > > that we
        > > access via ftp (we run a windows network). At the moment
        > > I edit the
        > > files in editplus (editplus does the ftp access d/l and
        > > u/l, then I use
        > > PuTTY to log in to the same Mac and run a command line
        > > compiler, to
        > > compile the files I changed.
        > >
        > > I've used the "User Tools" before to integrate local
        > > compilers into
        > > Editlpus (making it an all in one solution). I would like
        > > to do the
        > > same for this, however, if i use the "Directory Window"
        > > as my initial
        > > directory or path.. it doesn't work.
        > >
        > > Suggestions?
        > >
        > > Thanks

        > All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its
        simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 12, 2006
          I'm nearly there, just one more question..

          So far, I've created a tool in EditPlus that runs "putty.exe" with
          arguents "-load mac -l username -pw password" where "mac" is the name
          of the setup I created in the putty GUI. In the setup (mac) I used
          your suggestion of adding a Remote command which is:

          cd ./project/build;sh make
          (i.e. change directory, then run a shell script called "make" that
          compiles the files -does that sound right?)

          I created another config in putty called "macclean" which has a
          remote command:

          cd ./project/build;sh make clean
          NOTE: the script (make) uses the argument "clean" to clean the build.

          I then enabled logging in both configuration, and keep the log file
          open in EditPlus (I wish it would could be in the Output Window, but
          don't see how). This way I can see the result of the build (or clean).

          It works perfectly for "macclean"
          But "mac" causes a compile error after the first file compiles.

          If I run the script from Putty normally, it will work, but using the
          tool in Editplus causes the problem.

          Any idea why? (and why is it that "clean" works? :s)

          thanks

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 19, 2006
            If you use putty on to get a command prompt on the remote
            machine and your build works, then there must be some
            difference in the setup when you run it as an Editplus
            tool. You don't give the error message, but my guess is
            that your environment variables are different when you
            connect from Editplus. Try making your build echo $PATH for
            example.

            Yahoo! Photos is now offering a quality print service from just 7p a photo. http://uk.photos.yahoo.com