EditPlus v2.30 beta status

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hello:
      Has anyone of you kept up with the latest beta versions of EditPlus
      (v2.30)? I haven't (for the first time), but would like to use it. My
      concern is that, since its first builds, there have been almost daily
      updates to fix crashes, so it seemed a bit unstable to me. The builds
      have slowed down now, so I figured it may be more stable. In any case,
      I would like to hear the experiences of those who have used it.

      I plan on upgrading soon, but at the moment I'm in the middle of a
      project, and don't want to wrestle too much with flakey features, as I
      have enough pressure already.

      Thanks,
      "Amish people... Friend or foe?"
      - Frank Barone
    • graphics2code
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
        You would want to load the beta on a testing machine or one that can
        crash without interupting the workflow.

        I personally use Editplus on my development machine and only can crash
        it while opening huge files or doing stupid things.

        The updates do come out and it is good to keep up with them, but at
        the same time, most of the features are rare ones or maybe you just
        won't use those ones that have issues... or maybe you will. haha

        Matt

        --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, DZ-Jay <dz@...> wrote:

        > Hello:
        > Has anyone of you kept up with the latest beta versions of EditPlus
        > (v2.30)? I haven't (for the first time), but would like to use it. My
        > concern is that, since its first builds, there have been almost daily
        > updates to fix crashes, so it seemed a bit unstable to me. The builds
        > have slowed down now, so I figured it may be more stable. In any case,
        > I would like to hear the experiences of those who have used it.
        >
        > I plan on upgrading soon, but at the moment I'm in the middle of a
        > project, and don't want to wrestle too much with flakey features, as I
        > have enough pressure already.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > "Amish people... Friend or foe?"
        > - Frank Barone

      • John Morse
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
          I've been keeping up with each version. Maybe I just don't do enough serious
          editing, but I haven't had any problems with it at all. It does have the
          code folding option now, I'm sure that introduced new bugs. Like I said, I
          haven't had any trouble with it at all. Still loads quick, still awesome in
          every way!

          John

          Has anyone of you kept up with the latest beta versions of EditPlus (v2.30)?
          I haven't (for the first time), but would like to use it. My concern is
          that, since its first builds, there have been almost daily updates to fix
          crashes, so it seemed a bit unstable to me. The builds have slowed down
          now, so I figured it may be more stable. In any case, I would like to hear
          the experiences of those who have used it.
          I plan on upgrading soon, but at the moment I'm in the middle of a project,
          and don't want to wrestle too much with flakey features, as I have enough
          pressure already.
          Thanks,
          dZ.
        • Richard Grevers
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
            On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 07:17:22 +1200, John Morse <john_morse@...> gave
            utterance to the following:

            > I've been keeping up with each version. Maybe I just don't do enough
            > serious
            > editing, but I haven't had any problems with it at all. It does have the
            > code folding option now, I'm sure that introduced new bugs. Like I said,
            > haven't had any trouble with it at all. Still loads quick, still awesome
            > in
            > every way!

            I'm using 2.3.75, and currently finding it at least as stable if not more
            so than 2.2, which crashed on me about once a week (usually after
            inserting cliptext or a carriage return).

            --
            Richard Grevers
            I'm lactose intolerant - I get really annoyed driving behind slow milk
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
              Thanks John, that's good enough for me. I'm not too much into the code-folding thing, but I know its useful (I use it in TextMate, my surrogate editor on the Mac). I just wanted to make sure its not too unstable. This is the first time that I haven't kept up with betas (using v.2.21 - build 381).

              -dZ.

            • qsfe-kdhw@spamex.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
                Hi dZ,

                I've been a keen observer of TextMate (seen the video demos, etc), but
                not having a Mac have never had a chance to give it a try. Have you
                given it some serious (every day) use? If so, I'd be really interested
                to hear your feedback as a heavy EditPlus user.

                Some of the features in TextMate look very appealing, yet at the same
                time they seem to cover very obscure situations that most people
                wouldn't encounter most of the time, so it seems a shame to "bloat" a
                beautiful editor (E+) with unnecessary features.

                Your thoughts?

                --John

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 2, 2006
                  On Aug 1, 2006, at 17:27, qsfe-kdhw@... wrote:

                  > Hi dZ,
                  >
                  > I've been a keen observer of TextMate (seen the video demos, etc), but
                  > not having a Mac have never had a chance to give it a try. Have you
                  > given it some serious (every day) use? If so, I'd be really interested
                  > to hear your feedback as a heavy EditPlus user.
                  >
                  > Some of the features in TextMate look very appealing, yet at the same
                  > time they seem to cover very obscure situations that most people
                  > wouldn't encounter most of the time, so it seems a shame to "bloat" a
                  > beautiful editor (E+) with unnecessary features.
                  >
                  > Your thoughts?

                  At the moment I don't use the Mac too much for work, so I code
                  primarily on EditPlus (at the office). But my I've used TextMate on a
                  few projects and I have to say that it is a beautiful program. I have
                  to admit that I am a bit too used to EditPlus (I've been using it since
                  version 1.x), so its sometimes annoying hitting a specific
                  key-combination which I have set in EditPlus to perform a task, and
                  have it not work as I expect it, but that's about the only "complaint"
                  I have of it. I'd say it is the "EditPlus of Mac OS X", yet they are
                  different -- they have different approaches and different paradigms.
                  On the one hand, I'd say that EditPlus is purely utilitarian, and
                  beautiful in its simplicity. On the other, I'd say that TextMate's
                  beauty comes from the stylish, organized, and intuitive way in which
                  its interface hides the monstrous complexity of its features. I won't
                  say one is better than the other.

                  In short, while both are best of breeds (and I wouldn't change one for
                  the other), Editplus, to me, is a product of the Windows environment;
                  while TextMate is obviously a product of the OS X world. Feel free to
                  add your own connotations, negative or positive, to that statement.

                  And, no, I do not find its features too obscure. Like many features in
                  EditPlus, or any any other well designed software, they seem strange
                  until you use them and wonder how you ever were able to work without
                  them.

                  dZ.
                • Bronius Motekaitis
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 2, 2006

                    > And, no, I do not find its features too obscure. Like many features in
                    > EditPlus, or any any other well designed software, they seem strange
                    > until you use them and wonder how you ever were able to work without
                    > them.

                    Here, here! EditPlus is feature-rich but not at all in an intrusive way.
                    Other prg's pack a lot of features, but they're imposing or tough to use.
                    The only time I've felt the EP imposed anything on me was "Cliptext," which
                    I hide upon installation and never use. It sometimes shows itself whenever
                    I miskey (b/c I am 94% keyboard-centric, and EditPlus lends itself very well
                    to mouseless editing of documents of all kinds), and I go and close it
                    again. I guess I've just never given it a shot before...

                  • dz@caribe.net
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 2, 2006
                      > > And, no, I do not find its features too obscure. Like many features in
                      > > EditPlus, or any any other well designed software, they seem strange
                      > > until you use them and wonder how you ever were able to work without
                      > > them.
                      >

                      > Here, here! EditPlus is feature-rich but not at all in an intrusive way.
                      > Other prg's pack a lot of features, but they're imposing or tough to use.
                      > The only time I've felt the EP imposed anything on me was "Cliptext," which
                      > I hide upon installation and never use. It sometimes shows itself whenever
                      > I miskey (b/c I am 94% keyboard-centric, and EditPlus lends itself very well
                      > to mouseless editing of documents of all kinds), and I go and close it
                      > again. I guess I've just never given it a shot before...

                      You can go to the Keyboard settings and unbind any key bound to the Cliptext, if you want to get rid of it. I find it useful sometimes, but I much more rely on code-completion. Also, I use the Directory window extensively, so the Cliptext tab is always there, though it doesn't bug me.

                      But I agree, EditPlus has many advanced features, and those you don't use do not get in your way at all.

                      -dZ.