Date/Time stamp lost

  • spacecon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 18, 2006
      I have no idea what I did, but since going from unreg to reg and doing
      the update patch, the desireable feature that updated the modified
      index or other file with current date/time when looked at in the
      internal browser or simply "saved" has disappeared.

      Have looked through every in-program option, and every ".ini" to find
      a toggle to no avail.

      A test using notepad faithfully saved the file with "saved" date and
      time. E+2 is just saving the modified file, but leaving the OLD
      date/time on it.

      This feature allowed the modified file to "float" to the top in "sort
      by date" and was great for FTP selection criteria!

      Tom
    • Michael L. Jones
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 19, 2006
        If you mean the Directory window inside EditPlus, I was never aware
        that it allowed sorting by anything other than file name. Then again,
        I don't use it that often.

        If you mean the Windows modified date/time stamp, I don't see how it
        can be the same after the file is modified and saved. Windows controls
        that, not EditPlus.

        Again assuming that you mean Windows, not EditPlus, are you sure that
        the listing in Eindows Explorer or the File Open/Save dialog box is
        sorted by date/time?

        --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "spacecon" <tom@...> wrote:

        > I have no idea what I did, but since going from unreg to reg and doing
        > the update patch, the desireable feature that updated the modified
        > index or other file with current date/time when looked at in the
        > internal browser or simply "saved" has disappeared.
        >
        > Have looked through every in-program option, and every ".ini" to find
        > a toggle to no avail.
        >
        > A test using notepad faithfully saved the file with "saved" date and
        > time. E+2 is just saving the modified file, but leaving the OLD
        > date/time on it.
        >
        > This feature allowed the modified file to "float" to the top in "sort
        > by date" and was great for FTP selection criteria!
        >
        > Tom

      • Tom
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 20, 2006
          I use TotalCmd as my main file manipulator, viewer, FTP program (Similar to
          the old Norton Commander tool), and have for years with EditPlus.

          It only started after I did the patch upgrade on E+2.

          It is not in the E+2 window where the anomaly is seen, it is the TotalCmd
          window that stopped updating the date/time. It always has in the past,
          floating the modified file to the top and making the FTPs election easy.
          ;-)

          HOWEVER: It has been a while since I posted that message and it awaited
          new-member approval, so my current investigation lies in the interaction
          between E+2 and TotalCmd. Maybe a DLL thing??? (I am NOT
          Windows-Code-Savvy, and any thoughts appreciated!) See next paragraph.

          As is obvious, it truly doesn't make sense that the modified file would
          retain the original date/time, yet despite the fact that a Notepad
          mod/update to the file DOES behave and show properly in TotalCmd, while an
          Edit +2 mod/update to the same file DOES NOT is a proverbial mind-blower.
          :-)

          (an Explorer look at the directory DOES show it bearing the correct new,
          updated date/time, BTW, so not an inherent Windows problem)

          So, the root question now becomes: How could E+2 make a previously-working
          and "behaving" File Directory viewer/FTP program (Total Command)suddenly
          lose the previously-functional date/time updating after the file's
          modification. (There were NO other system or program changes, BTW.)

          Now,as a sensitive Owner/Moderator of some 6 Lists, I see this possibly
          going mildly Off-Subject, and I will bow to the Moderator's wishes if he
          wishes it dropped, although I feel it is germane because of the cause and
          effect issue between the Patch updating and the loss of functionality in
          the companion program many use.

          Tom

          Maintain thy airspeed lest the earth
          shall rise up and smite thee!

        • dz@caribe.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 20, 2006
            I'm not sure I understand your problem. Are you saying that after modifying a file using EditPlus, and saving it, the file's modified date stamp is not being updated? This is very strange, as I believe the OS (i.e. Windows) handles that.

            -dZ.