How can I delete html spaces

  • josealberto1975
    Message 1 of 10 , May 19, 2006
      Hi, I have to delete all HTML spaces (with EditPlus or something).
      It's too long for manual delete.

      From this:
      --
      <head>
      </head>

      To this:
      --

      Regards,
      J.A.
      Message 2 of 10 , May 19, 2006
        Hi josealberto1975,

        Try using the regex replacement function (CTRL-H) select regular
        expression, in the field 'find what' put \n and press replace.

        Good luck
        PS. try reading about regular expressions, there very usefull and very
        powerfull in programming

        josealberto1975 wrote:
        > Hi, I have to delete all HTML spaces (with EditPlus or something).
        > It's too long for manual delete.
        >
        > From this:
        > --
        > <head>
        > </head>
        >

        > To this:
        > --
        >

        > Regards,
        > J.A.

      • Michael L. Jones
        Message 3 of 10 , May 19, 2006
          Have you looked for HTML "compression" programs that strip out white
          space, carriage returns, etc.? There are a couple of free ones that
          have command line interfaces that might be good candidates for a user
          tool at

          http://www.freesoft.fsnet.co.uk/html01.htm
          http://fileprofile.com/Development/html_tools/htmlsqueeze/

          --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "josealberto1975"
          <josealberto1975@...> wrote:

          > Hi, I have to delete all HTML spaces (with EditPlus or something).
          > It's too long for manual delete.
          >
          > From this:
          > --
          > <head>
          > </head>
          >

          > To this:
          > --
          >

          > Regards,
          > J.A.

        • Jason Kleinberg
          Message 4 of 10 , May 20, 2006
            You don't want to take out ALL spaces. But any space that is repeated is
            wated, since it does not render. If you want to strip these out, simply do
            a Search/Replace to replace 2 spaces for 1. run this several times until
            there are none found.

            On 5/19/06, Michael L. Jones <mljones1947@...> wrote:

            > Have you looked for HTML "compression" programs that strip out white
            > space, carriage returns, etc.? There are a couple of free ones that
            > have command line interfaces that might be good candidates for a user
            > tool at
            >
            > http://www.freesoft.fsnet.co.uk/html01.htm
            > http://fileprofile.com/Development/html_tools/htmlsqueeze/
            >
            > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "josealberto1975"
            > <josealberto1975@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi, I have to delete all HTML spaces (with EditPlus or something).
            > > It's too long for manual delete.
            > >
            > > From this:
            > > --
            > > <head>
            > > </head>
            > >

            > > To this:
            > > --
            > >

            > > Regards,
            > > J.A.

            Jason Kleinberg Luctor International, L.L.C.
            Systems Administrator http://vangoghvodka.com

            6250 Pinecastle Blvd. Phone - 407 812-4229
            Orlando, FL 32809 Fax - 407 812-8579
            Main - 407 812-8571 Email - jason@...

            Message 5 of 10 , May 21, 2006
              It is easier then to run my regexp first (which removes all
              insignificant spaces surrounding tags), and then run something like:

              Find: [{space}\t\n][{space}\t\n]+
              Replace: {space}

              That'll take care of it.

              dZ.

              Message 6 of 10 , May 21, 2006
                The compression programs don't take out all white space, just the
                unnecessary spaces, tabs, carriage returns, etc. Look at the example
                given in the original post: The request is to collapse the readable
                "line per tag" format into the "streaming" format that is difficult to
                read but very efficient for transport to a browser. This is what the
                compression programs were developed to do.

                --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Kleinberg" <ustice@...> wrote:

                > You don't want to take out ALL spaces. But any space that is repeated
                is
                > wated, since it does not render. If you want to strip these out,
                simply do
                > a Search/Replace to replace 2 spaces for 1. run this several times
                until
                > there are none found.
                >
                > On 5/19/06, Michael L. Jones mljones1947@... wrote:
                > >
                > > Have you looked for HTML "compression" programs that strip out white
                > > space, carriage returns, etc.? There are a couple of free ones that
                > > have command line interfaces that might be good candidates for a
                user
                > > tool at
                > >
                > > http://www.freesoft.fsnet.co.uk/html01.htm
                > > http://fileprofile.com/Development/html_tools/htmlsqueeze/
                > >
                > > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "josealberto1975"
                > > josealberto1975@ wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi, I have to delete all HTML spaces (with EditPlus or something).
                > > > It's too long for manual delete.
                > > >
                > > > From this:
                > > > --
                > > > <head>
                > > > </head>
                > > >

                > > > To this:
                > > > --

                > > > Regards,
                > > > J.A.
              • josealberto1975
                Message 7 of 10 , May 21, 2006
                  Thanks, but it didn't work :(, or probably I don't know how to do it!
                  (Ctrl+H)

                  You can check my html file here:
                  http://www.geocities.com/josealberto1975/editplus.html

                  --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, DZ-Jay <dz@...> wrote:

                  > It is easier then to run my regexp first (which removes all
                  > insignificant spaces surrounding tags), and then run something like:
                  >
                  > Find: [{space}\t\n][{space}\t\n]+
                  > Replace: {space}
                  >
                  > That'll take care of it.
                  >
                  > dZ.
                  >
                  > On May 20, 2006, at 20:35, Jason Kleinberg wrote:
                  >
                  > > You don't want to take out ALL spaces. But any space that is
                  repeated
                  > > is
                  > > wated, since it does not render. If you want to strip these out,
                  > > simply do
                  > > a Search/Replace to replace 2 spaces for 1. run this several times
                  > > until
                  > > there are none found.
                  > >
                  > > On 5/19/06, Michael L. Jones <mljones1947@...> wrote:
                  > >>
                  > >> Have you looked for HTML "compression" programs that strip out white
                  > >> space, carriage returns, etc.? There are a couple of free ones that
                  > >> have command line interfaces that might be good candidates for a user
                  > >> tool at
                  > >>
                  > >> http://www.freesoft.fsnet.co.uk/html01.htm
                  > >> http://fileprofile.com/Development/html_tools/htmlsqueeze/
                  > >>
                  > >> --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "josealberto1975"

                  > >> http://www.editplus.com
                  > >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                  > >>

                  > > --
                  > > Jason Kleinberg Luctor International, L.L.C.
                  > > Systems Administrator http://vangoghvodka.com
                  > >
                  > > 6250 Pinecastle Blvd. Phone - 407 812-4229
                  > > Orlando, FL 32809 Fax - 407 812-8579
                  > > Main - 407 812-8571 Email - jason@...

                  > > http://www.editplus.com
                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • "Перминов Владимир"
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 21, 2006
                    there may be 2 problems:
                    1) you copypasted the code.
                    2) you forgot to check regexp checkbox.

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 21, 2006
                      {space} means a space character, not that you needed to type "{space}".
                      Also, make sure you ticked the "Regular Expression" box.

                      dZ.

                      On May 21, 2006, at 11:41, Перминов Владимир wrote:

                      > there may be 2 problems:
                      > 1) you copypasted the code.
                      > 2) you forgot to check regexp checkbox.
                      >
                      >> Thanks, but it didn't work :(, or probably I don't know how to do it!
                      >> (Ctrl+H)
                      >>
                      >>> Find: [{space}\t\n][{space}\t\n]+
                      >>> Replace: {space}

                    • josealberto1975
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 21, 2006
                        Thank you all.. "Regular expression" wasn't selected.