Quick search

  • ~ Wanna Be Guru ~
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 24, 2006
      Gurus:

      Can anybody give me pointers of how I can do a quick search.

      With Quick search I mean, I select some text (for example I selected FUNCTION text) in a file and hit some combination of keys and I go to the next matching selected text ( i.e i would go to next instance of the FUNCTION text)

      I know I can do this by a longer way of copy the text , CTRL + F, CTRL+V, Hit Search button and then F3 for next instances.

      I am just trying to find shortcuts.

      I tried recording key strokes, but somehow it did not like it.

      Thanks in advance

      WBG

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 24, 2006
        CTRL+F3 is your friend. It will automatically select and search for the
        the "word" currently under the cursor. A "word" is defined by the
        word-delimiter characters specified in the currently active .stx file.
        This bypasses the Find window.

        CTRL+SHIFT+F3 will do the same but search backwards.

        You only need to use the CTRL key once (to select and start the search),
        after that just F3 or SHIFT+F3 will continue the search as you are
        already aware.

        dZ.

        ~ Wanna Be Guru ~ wrote:
        > Gurus:
        >
        > Can anybody give me pointers of how I can do a quick search.
        >
        > With Quick search I mean, I select some text (for example I selected FUNCTION text) in a file and hit some combination of keys and I go to the next matching selected text ( i.e i would go to next instance of the FUNCTION text)
        >

        > I know I can do this by a longer way of copy the text , CTRL + F, CTRL+V, Hit Search button and then F3 for next instances.
        >
        > I am just trying to find shortcuts.
        >
        > I tried recording key strokes, but somehow it did not like it.
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > WBG

      • Jason Kleinberg
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 24, 2006
          Highlight the text. Ctrl-F. Keep hitting enter until you have found the
          one that you want.

          On 1/24/06, ~ Wanna Be Guru ~ <wanna_be_guru@...> wrote:

          > Gurus:
          >
          > Can anybody give me pointers of how I can do a quick search.
          >
          > With Quick search I mean, I select some text (for example I selected
          > FUNCTION text) in a file and hit some combination of keys and I go to the
          > next matching selected text ( i.e i would go to next instance of the
          > FUNCTION text)
          >

          > I know I can do this by a longer way of copy the text , CTRL + F,
          > CTRL+V, Hit Search button and then F3 for next instances.
          >
          > I am just trying to find shortcuts.
          >
          > I tried recording key strokes, but somehow it did not like it.
          >
          > Thanks in advance
          >
          > WBG

          Jason Kleinberg Luctor International, L.L.C.
          Systems Administrator http://vangoghvodka.com

          6250 Pinecastle Blvd. Phone - 407 812-4229
          Orlando, FL 32809 Fax - 407 812-8579
          Main - 407 812-8571 Email - jason@...

        • xof
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 24, 2006
            Place the cursor inside the word who want to search, then press CTRL + F3.

            This will lead you to the next occurrence of the word. Then you can go on to
            the next by pressing F3. To go backwards, use SHIFT + F3

            Christophe

            Can anybody give me pointers of how I can do a quick search.

            With Quick search I mean, I select some text (for example I selected
            FUNCTION text) in a file and hit some combination of keys and I go to the
            next matching selected text ( i.e i would go to next instance of the
            FUNCTION text)

            I know I can do this by a longer way of copy the text , CTRL + F, CTRL+V,
            Hit Search button and then F3 for next instances.

            I am just trying to find shortcuts.

            I tried recording key strokes, but somehow it did not like it.

            Thanks in advance

            WBG

            http://www.editplus.com <http://www.editplus.com/>

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • ~ Wanna Be Guru ~
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 24, 2006
              Thanks DZ and xof.

              I appreciate your quick replies and your answers would make me more efficient.

              Anybody using Editplau for SQR/PeopleCode ?

              - WBG

              xof <xofm1@...> wrote:
[...]

              http://www.editplus.com

              ---------------------------------

            • Aleem Juma
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 24, 2006
                Wow - I never thought someone might actually want a shortcut for 4
                keys, the first three of which are hardly a stretch! With my left
                little finger on Ctrl, and the F and V keys being *ADJACENT* (and your
                left forefinger is more than likely to be about a centimeter or less
                away from F), my right hand needs to move only a centimeter or two to
                hit the Enter key... Even the "shortcut" Ctrl-F3 requires me to
                contort my left wrist and lift my arm (phew - getting tired even
                THINKING about it!)

                :-D

                PS: I'm not really this lazy, just trying to highlight a potentially
                moot use of shortcuts here!

              • qsfe-kdhw@spamex.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 24, 2006
                  For me it not so much whether it is 2 or 3 or 4 keys, but rather that
                  F3 = search, so Ctrl-F3 = quicksearch. If it is logical I will
                  remember it, otherwise (unless it is something I heavily use) I won't.

                  --John

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 26, 2006
                    It is not a matter of being "lazy". It is a matter of keeping the
                    number of steps short so that your brain can concentrate on what is
                    really important. When you are dealing with large projects or
                    documents, and you need to perform many searches, it is much more
                    efficient if you can hit one single key stroke that will start or
                    continue a search, while your eyes focus on the selected word and its
                    surroundings to know when to stop; especially if it is something that
                    is done very often. Granted, to search for a simple string in a
                    document once in a while, this might be over-kill, but when you are,
                    say, programming, and you have a specific thing in your head that you
                    want to do -- right now -- but just need to find the spot where you
                    need to do it, within a large source code file, dialog boxes and extra
                    key strokes distract immensely.

                    The fact that those extra-extra-shortcuts exist are testament to their
                    usefulness and popularity.

                    In any case, to each his own, right?

                    dZ.