Hello and Introduction

  • David Millet
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 5, 2006
      Hi group,

      I'd just like to introduce myself, my name is David Millet and I'm addicted to
      Editplus, and have been since 2001, thanks to Dean Householder, who is also
      on this list. I'm so addicted, in fact, that I use it on my Linux desktops.
      Please let me know if you have any Editplus on Linux questions or problems
      and I'll do my best to help.

      David Millet
    • Mark Kahn
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 6, 2006
        Sorry, but as far as I know, this isn't a support group. If you need help
        with an addiction, you might be better off checking somewhere else.

        :-)
        -Mark

      • gsmith@mediageneral.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 6, 2006
          Yeah, I think you need the EditPlusAnonymous Yahoo Group. They're down
          the hall; third door on your left.

          Welcome, fellow junkie.

          Gregg

          ________________________________

          Sorry, but as far as I know, this isn't a support group. If you need
          help
          with an addiction, you might be better off checking somewhere else.

          :-)
          -Mark

          On 1/5/06, David Millet <david@...> wrote:

          > Hi group,
          >
          > I'd just like to introduce myself, my name is David Millet and I'm
          > addicted to
          > Editplus, and have been since 2001, thanks to Dean Householder, who is
          > also
          > on this list. I'm so addicted, in fact, that I use it on my Linux
          > desktops.
          > Please let me know if you have any Editplus on Linux questions or
          problems
          > and I'll do my best to help.
          >
          > David Millet

          http://www.editplus.com

          Design patent
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Design+patent&w1=Design+patent&w2=D
          esign+school&w3=Design+schools&w4=Design+auto+dealer+web+site&w5=Product
          +design&w6=Network+design&c=6&s=131&.sig=N6YKxCriorPOZ9JE8zAPzA>

          Design school
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Design+school&w1=Design+patent&w2=D
          esign+school&w3=Design+schools&w4=Design+auto+dealer+web+site&w5=Product
          +design&w6=Network+design&c=6&s=131&.sig=8vBhM-8UtYSAShAMCexLxQ>

          Design schools
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Design+schools&w1=Design+patent&w2=
          Design+school&w3=Design+schools&w4=Design+auto+dealer+web+site&w5=Produc
          t+design&w6=Network+design&c=6&s=131&.sig=sBbE8UWOR9QyOzZLADUSCw>

          Design auto dealer web site
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Design+auto+dealer+web+site&w1=Desi
          gn+patent&w2=Design+school&w3=Design+schools&w4=Design+auto+dealer+web+s
          ite&w5=Product+design&w6=Network+design&c=6&s=131&.sig=Lssb7O32G_YsrZCj6
          miItA>

          Product design
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Product+design&w1=Design+patent&w2=
          Design+school&w3=Design+schools&w4=Design+auto+dealer+web+site&w5=Produc
          t+design&w6=Network+design&c=6&s=131&.sig=RZ2x_h9suqEl-nSg2gIn_Q>

          Network design
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Network+design&w1=Design+patent&w2=
          Design+school&w3=Design+schools&w4=Design+auto+dealer+web+site&w5=Produc
          t+design&w6=Network+design&c=6&s=131&.sig=0FpRyKvFdpRdDqoaVveKCg>

        • Kurt Jung
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 9, 2006
            David Millet wrote:

            > Please let me know if you have any Editplus on Linux questions or
            > problems and I'll do my best to help.

            The basic question is how you are doing this at all. Are you using WINE
            and, if so, what are the limitations? I imagine the ActiveX HTML
            functionality must be impaired. What works well and what doesn't?

            --
            Kurt Jung
          • David Millet
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 9, 2006
              Hi Kurt,

              > The basic question is how you are doing this at all. Are you using WINE
              > and, if so, what are the limitations? I imagine the ActiveX HTML
              > functionality must be impaired. What works well and what doesn't?

              Amazingly, almost everything in Editplus works perfectly through wine. Take a
              look at the following URL for information on what does not work:

              http://www.editplus.info/wiki/Running_EditPlus_on_Linux

              It's likely that everything will be supported soon.

              Let me know if you have any further questions after reading this information.

              David Millet
            • Kurt Jung
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 9, 2006
                David Millet wrote:

                > Amazingly, almost everything in Editplus works perfectly
                > through wine. Take a look at the following URL for
                > information on what does not work:

                > http://www.editplus.info/wiki/Running_EditPlus_on_Linux

                Excellent page. Thanks for the lead, David. I look forward to
                giving this a whirl -- having EditPlus in both Linux and
                Windows will be a great benefit.

                --
                Kurt
              • Herbert Mraz
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 10, 2006
                  Has any of you found a way to run Linux shell commands as user tools?
                  I'm luckily running Editplus on FreeBSD 6 under wine for quite some time
                  now, everything seems to work perfect, with two exceptions:

                  1. Document minimize/maximize/close buttons (top right corner) have funny,
                  varying symbols attached...
                  2. User tools; have not tried to run Windows programs (under wine) as user
                  tools yet, but couldnt figure a way to trigger any local Unix programs...

                  Herb

                  > David Millet wrote:
                  >
                  >> Amazingly, almost everything in Editplus works perfectly
                  >> through wine. Take a look at the following URL for
                  >> information on what does not work:
                  >
                  >> http://www.editplus.info/wiki/Running_EditPlus_on_Linux
                  >
                  > Excellent page. Thanks for the lead, David. I look forward to
                  > giving this a whirl -- having EditPlus in both Linux and
                  > Windows will be a great benefit.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Kurt

                  Herbert Mraz
                  http://www.sg-klagenfurt.at
                  "Die Adler von der Sattnitzschanze"

                  herb@...
                  webmaster@...
                • David Millet
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 11, 2006
                    Hi Herb,

                    > 2. User tools; have not tried to run Windows programs (under wine) as
                    > userĀ  tools yet, but couldnt figure a way to trigger any local Unix
                    > programs...

                    I gave it a run, never used User Tools before, but it seems quite handy.

                    With the latest version of Wine (0.9.5) I created a folder in the windows
                    path:

                    cd ~/.wine/drive_c/
                    mkdir "Linux Program Links"

                    Then I created a symlink to the gimp executable in that directory and named it
                    gimp.exe:

                    ln -s /opt/gnome/bin/gimp Linux\ Program\ Links/gimp.exe

                    Then when creating the user tools, i browsed to gimp.exe ... and now gimp
                    launches when I click that User Tool!

                    I hope this helps you out.

                    David Millet
                  • Herbert Mraz
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
                      Great solution!
                      Works!

                      Thank you, David

                      Herb

                      > Hi Herb,
                      >
                      >> 2. User tools; have not tried to run Windows programs (under wine) as
                      >> userĀ  tools yet, but couldnt figure a way to trigger any local Unix
                      >> programs...
                      >
                      > I gave it a run, never used User Tools before, but it seems quite handy.
                      >
                      > With the latest version of Wine (0.9.5) I created a folder in the windows
                      > path:
                      >
                      > cd ~/.wine/drive_c/
                      > mkdir "Linux Program Links"
                      >
                      > Then I created a symlink to the gimp executable in that directory and
                      > named it
                      > gimp.exe:
                      >
                      > ln -s /opt/gnome/bin/gimp Linux\ Program\ Links/gimp.exe
                      >
                      > Then when creating the user tools, i browsed to gimp.exe ... and now gimp
                      > launches when I click that User Tool!
                      >
                      > I hope this helps you out.
                      >
                      > David Millet

                      Herbert Mraz
                      http://www.sg-klagenfurt.at
                      "Die Adler von der Sattnitzschanze"

                      herb@...
                      webmaster@...
                    • Dean Householder
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
                        Alright Dave,

                        Now you gotta go and add that to the Wiki! =) Welcome to the list. =)

                        Dean