Feature: Move cursor forward or backward n bytes?

  • brian_desany
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 28, 2005
      Do we know if there is a command to navigate the cursor forward (or
      backward) a specified number of bytes within a document?

      If there were a preference for this (hypothetical) feature to not count
      line-endings as bytes, that would be ideal.

      This would be extremely useful for navigating to certain locations
      within FASTA files, which is a simple file format for representing DNA
      sequences.

      Thanks!
      -Brian.
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 28, 2005
        You can call the program from the command line with a column and row
        coordinate. If you use as the filename the currently opened document,
        it'll give it focus, and move the cursor to that point:

        C:\EditPlus\EditPlus.exe -cursor line:column -e filename

        dZ.

        brian_desany wrote:
        > Do we know if there is a command to navigate the cursor forward (or
        > backward) a specified number of bytes within a document?
        >
        > If there were a preference for this (hypothetical) feature to not count
        > line-endings as bytes, that would be ideal.
        >
        > This would be extremely useful for navigating to certain locations
        > within FASTA files, which is a simple file format for representing DNA
        > sequences.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > -Brian.

      • Jerry van Kooten
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 28, 2005
          I think Brian means moving the cursor while the file is open.

          I don't have any experience with macros but I assume recording a macro which
          contains X pressings on the right or left cursor key does the trick.

          Jerry

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 28, 2005
            If you call the program with the currently opened document in the
            command line it will move the cursor. It is the same thing that the
            Output Window does when you double-click a line that references a document.

            dZ.

            Jerry van Kooten wrote:
            > I think Brian means moving the cursor while the file is open.
            >
            > I don't have any experience with macros but I assume recording a macro which
            > contains X pressings on the right or left cursor key does the trick.
            >
            > Jerry
            >

            >>You can call the program from the command line with a column and row
            >>coordinate. If you use as the filename the currently opened document,
            >>it'll give it focus, and move the cursor to that point:
            >>
            >> C:\EditPlus\EditPlus.exe -cursor line:column -e filename
            >>
            >> dZ.
            >>
            >>brian_desany wrote:
            >>
            >>>Do we know if there is a command to navigate the cursor forward (or
            >>>backward) a specified number of bytes within a document?
            >>>
            >>>If there were a preference for this (hypothetical) feature to not count
            >>>line-endings as bytes, that would be ideal.
            >>>
            >>>This would be extremely useful for navigating to certain locations
            >>>within FASTA files, which is a simple file format for representing DNA
            >>>sequences.
            >>>
            >>>Thanks!
            >>>-Brian.

          • brian_desany
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 28, 2005
              What I'm thinking of is something similar to "Go to line...", where
              you would type a number into a dialog box, but instead of an absolute
              row/columnn coordinate (or an absolute line number in the case of "Go
              to line..."), it would be an offset from the current cursor position.

              So I could do things like starting from position 13,210,222 move the
              cursor forward 23,320 bytes.

              Options in the dialog box would be a checkbox for "forward"
              or "backward", and a check box for "select" so that the intervening
              bytes could be selected as a result of the operation.

              So I guess this is no longer asking if this feature exists, but more
              like an actual full-fledged feature request :)

              I guess I'll e-mail Sangil Kim directly with this as well.

              Thanks,
              -Brian.

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 28, 2005
                Ahh, got it! What you are asking does not exist, but perhaps the macro
                solution offered by Jerry van Kooten would work...

                dZ.

              • brian_desany
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 28, 2005
                  The macro idea was interesting - it works pretty good for small
                  numbers (which is still useful) but it bogs down a lot when you go to
                  large numbers (and it doesn't ignore line endings). Instead of
                  seeking directly to the desired byte, it goes one-by-one (updating
                  the screen each time), which is very time consuming. Thanks for the
                  idea though, these problems aren't prohibitive for small files.

                • Michael L. Jones
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 29, 2005
                    If something like this was going to be implemented, I'd suggest
                    introducing a little flexibility: Go forward or backward X number of
                    spaces or words or lines.