Re: [edit+] EditPlus as default editor (F4) in Total Commander

  • ask@avenarius.sk
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 11, 2005
      On Saturday, 10th September 2005 at 14:58:45 (GMT), sn0wdon wrote:

      > It's always the case .. post a question then soon after you find
      > the answer.
      > In Total Commander go to Files > Associate with .. [...]

      I'm perplexed as to what your original problem was, because when
      I press F4 in TotalCommander, the file gets opened in a new instance
      of EditPlus, no matter what kind of a file it is and without my first
      going to Files > Associate with...

      Anyway... By far the most frequent operation I perform using
      TotalCommander with EditPlus is, in TotalCommander, Find Files,
      then Feed to Listbox, then highlight all files, then drag&drop
      (with the mouse) into an empty EditPlus instance. No problem
      simultaneously opening 200+ files from TotalCommander in EditPlus
      that way. If there was a way to open all files from the TotalCommander
      listbox in EditPlus without using the mouse, that would be great,
      but I haven't found a way to do this using the keyboard only.

      --
      Yours,
      Alex.

      [processed by "The Bat!", Version 2.12.00 / WinXP 5.1 b2600 SP 2]
    • sn0wdon
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 12, 2005
        > I'm perplexed as to what your original problem was, because when
        > I press F4 in TotalCommander, the file gets opened in a new instance
        > of EditPlus, no matter what kind of a file it is and without my first
        > going to Files > Associate with...
        >
        > Anyway... By far the most frequent operation I perform using
        > TotalCommander with EditPlus is, in TotalCommander, Find Files,
        > then Feed to Listbox, then highlight all files, then drag&drop
        > (with the mouse) into an empty EditPlus instance. No problem
        > simultaneously opening 200+ files from TotalCommander in EditPlus
        > that way. If there was a way to open all files from the
        TotalCommander
        > listbox in EditPlus without using the mouse, that would be great,
        > but I haven't found a way to do this using the keyboard only.

        You are right .. I should not need to associate all files with
        EditPlus .. so I have changed them back to open in their native
        viewers.

        The problem I had (but it seems to have gone away) was clicking on
        Total Commander file list window to open files one at a time (not
        dragging into EditPlus) .. but that seems to be working now. Sometimes
        this functionality seems to stop and then I cannot open files with
        F4 .. I have to shut down EditPlus for the file to open in a fresh
        instance of EditPlus.

        Re: your own requirement .. I would try http://www.autohotkey.com to
        create a script (keyboard invoked) which selects and highlights files
        in Total Commander and opens in EditPlus.

        If you open AutoIT3 Window Spy and hover over Total Commander list
        boxes and EditPlus you can see the handlers to use in your autohotkey
        script.