Re: EditPlus as default editor (F4) in Total Commander

  • sn0wdon
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 10, 2005
      It's always the case .. post a question then soon after you find the
      answer.

      In Total Commander go to Files > Associate with ..

      Click on files in Total Commander window and map to EditPlus

      EditPlus 2 (C:\PROGRA~1\Editors\EDITPL~1\EDITPLUS.EXE "%1")

      the EditPlus ico should attach to the files.
    • ask@avenarius.sk
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 11, 2005
        On Saturday, 10th September 2005 at 14:58:45 (GMT), sn0wdon wrote:

        > It's always the case .. post a question then soon after you find
        > the answer.
        > In Total Commander go to Files > Associate with .. [...]

        I'm perplexed as to what your original problem was, because when
        I press F4 in TotalCommander, the file gets opened in a new instance
        of EditPlus, no matter what kind of a file it is and without my first
        going to Files > Associate with...

        Anyway... By far the most frequent operation I perform using
        TotalCommander with EditPlus is, in TotalCommander, Find Files,
        then Feed to Listbox, then highlight all files, then drag&drop
        (with the mouse) into an empty EditPlus instance. No problem
        simultaneously opening 200+ files from TotalCommander in EditPlus
        that way. If there was a way to open all files from the TotalCommander
        listbox in EditPlus without using the mouse, that would be great,
        but I haven't found a way to do this using the keyboard only.

        --
        Yours,
        Alex.

        [processed by "The Bat!", Version 2.12.00 / WinXP 5.1 b2600 SP 2]
      • sn0wdon
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 12, 2005
          > I'm perplexed as to what your original problem was, because when
          > I press F4 in TotalCommander, the file gets opened in a new instance
          > of EditPlus, no matter what kind of a file it is and without my first
          > going to Files > Associate with...
          >
          > Anyway... By far the most frequent operation I perform using
          > TotalCommander with EditPlus is, in TotalCommander, Find Files,
          > then Feed to Listbox, then highlight all files, then drag&drop
          > (with the mouse) into an empty EditPlus instance. No problem
          > simultaneously opening 200+ files from TotalCommander in EditPlus
          > that way. If there was a way to open all files from the
          TotalCommander
          > listbox in EditPlus without using the mouse, that would be great,
          > but I haven't found a way to do this using the keyboard only.

          You are right .. I should not need to associate all files with
          EditPlus .. so I have changed them back to open in their native
          viewers.

          The problem I had (but it seems to have gone away) was clicking on
          Total Commander file list window to open files one at a time (not
          dragging into EditPlus) .. but that seems to be working now. Sometimes
          this functionality seems to stop and then I cannot open files with
          F4 .. I have to shut down EditPlus for the file to open in a fresh
          instance of EditPlus.

          Re: your own requirement .. I would try http://www.autohotkey.com to
          create a script (keyboard invoked) which selects and highlights files
          in Total Commander and opens in EditPlus.

          If you open AutoIT3 Window Spy and hover over Total Commander list
          boxes and EditPlus you can see the handlers to use in your autohotkey
          script.