Re: [edit+] Useful tip: Always open UTF-8 files as UTF-8 even if they haven't got a BOM

  • ask@avenarius.sk
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2005
      On Thursday, 1st September 2005 at 11:07:11 (GMT +0100), Daniel Durrans wrote:

      > Solution? Make sure you always have a multi-byte character in your files.
      > I put a copyright symbol C in a comment block at the top of each file.

      Yes. I always include a Russian character, just for the hell of it. 8-)
      That way I can be certain the file stays UTF-8, even if it's just plaintext.

      I'm still figuring out on what's the most secure way of ordering
      an EditPlus license. Here's Slovakia's best-known seller of licences:

      http://www.avir.sk/multimedialne.htm

      and they do offer UltraEdit licences, but no EditPlus. I'm definitely
      ordering the licence, though, working with EditPlus 2.20 is just
      wonderful. It took me 2 days to switch my entire site from legacy
      encodings to UTF-8, but now that it's done, working with multilingual
      files is pure joy.

      Just one disappointing aspect connected to this, apparently not
      related to EditPlus: UTF-8 encoded plaintext files created in EditPlus
      cannot be read on my PDA (Windows Mobile 2003). If I encode the same
      file in UTF-16, it displays on the PDA fine. Does anyone know if PDAs
      simply don't support UTF-8 in plaintext files or what is the reason
      for their failing to display correctly?

      --
      Thank you,
      Alex.

      [processed by "The Bat!", Version 2.12.00 / WinXP 5.1 b2600 SP 2]
    • Christoph Päper
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2005
        Daniel Durrans:
        > If you turn off the Byte Order Mark (...) then when you reopen that file
        > it won't be in UTF-8 format unless it contains a multi-byte character.

        Well, as long as you don't need any character above U+007F it doesn't
        matter whether EditPlus treats the file as UTF-8, ANSI or US-ASCII.

        > Solution? Make sure you always have a multi-byte character in your files.

        /**
        * @author Christoph Päper
        */

        does the trick for me. ;)
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2, 2005
          On Sep 1, 2005, at 19:04, ask@... wrote:
          > I'm still figuring out on what's the most secure way of ordering
          > an EditPlus license. Here's Slovakia's best-known seller of licences:

          I used Kagi and had no problems with them.
          http://www.editplus.com/register.html

          dZ.
        • ask@avenarius.sk
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2005
            On Friday, 2nd September 2005 at 05:37:04 (GMT -0400),
            which was 11:37 a.m. in Bratislava, Slovakia, DZ-Jay wrote:

            >> I'm still figuring out on what's the most secure way of ordering
            >> an EditPlus license.

            > I used Kagi and had no problems with them.
            > http://www.editplus.com/register.html

            Yes, but can you or anyone recommend one of the payment options
            offered by DigiBuy or Kagi as being more secure than another?
            I apologize for boring the list with such trivialities. (So far I've
            always been able to purchase all necessary software in this country
            rather than from abroad, but EditPlus isn't offered.)

            --
            Thanks,

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 2, 2005
              On Sep 2, 2005, at 05:56, ask@... wrote:

              > On Friday, 2nd September 2005 at 05:37:04 (GMT -0400),
              > which was 11:37 a.m. in Bratislava, Slovakia, DZ-Jay wrote:
              >
              >>> I'm still figuring out on what's the most secure way of ordering
              >>> an EditPlus license.
              >
              >> I used Kagi and had no problems with them.
              >> http://www.editplus.com/register.html
              >
              > Yes, but can you or anyone recommend one of the payment options
              > offered by DigiBuy or Kagi as being more secure than another?
              > I apologize for boring the list with such trivialities. (So far I've
              > always been able to purchase all necessary software in this country
              > rather than from abroad, but EditPlus isn't offered.)

              Well, I will not recommend any one method because that is probably bad
              karma. But I will tell you that I used my Credit Card without a
              problem. I am very careful with my Credit Card, and I seldom use it to
              buy stuff online (I seldom use it at all!), but I do know that most
              banks offer fraud protection and guarantees on the delivery of goods
              purchase.

              I'm not sure I understand the problem you are having. I don't think
              its boring or trivial, surely if you have concerns about the
              registration process it is something appropriate for a discussion. But
              could you please give more information about your concerns?

              dZ.
            • ask@avenarius.sk
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 2, 2005
                On Friday, 2nd September 2005 at 06:11:01 (GMT -0400),
                which was 12:11 in Bratislava, Slovakia, DZ-Jay wrote:

                >>> I used Kagi and had no problems with them.
                >>> http://www.editplus.com/register.html

                >> Yes, but can you or anyone recommend one of the payment options
                >> offered by DigiBuy or Kagi as being more secure than another?
                >> I apologize for boring the list with such trivialities. (So far I've
                >> always been able to purchase all necessary software in this country
                >> rather than from abroad, but EditPlus isn't offered.)

                > [...] I'm not sure I understand the problem you are having. I don't
                > think its boring or trivial, surely if you have concerns about the
                > registration process it is something appropriate for a discussion.
                > But could you please give more information about your concerns?

                I just don't feel comfrotable with communicating my VISA card details
                over the Internet, period. Call me paranoid, but my brother had some
                pretty bad experience a few years ago (I forget which card he uses).
                As I said, so far I've always been able to purchase everything by
                logging onto my bank's webpages and making a direct money transfer
                to the seller's bank account, usually located here in Slovakia or
                elsewhere in the E.U., which means you need to pay no transfer fees.
                So if I could purchase EditPlus in a similar fashion, that would be
                great.

                I'm not as careful as you in real life. 8-) I'm capable of buying
                a hot dog and paying with the credit card because I hate fiddling with
                coins and banknotes. 8-) I just don't feel comfortable with online
                purchase and so limit all online operations to my bank's webpages.

                Any advice will be appreciated. If it can't be done in any other way,
                I'll probably pick DigiBuy's "Phone Credit Card" option (that's an
                additional $3) though I've no idea what exactly to expect from that.
                Will they call me, or should I call them? Do they sit in Korea or
                where? If they're halfway across the globe from me and a potentially
                prolonged phone call is charged to my account, that might make this
                license pretty expensive. ;-)

                --
                Thanks,
                Alex.
                www.avenarius.sk

                [processed by "The Bat!", Version 2.12.00 / WinXP 5.1 b2600 SP 2]
              • Mark van Renswoude
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 2, 2005
                  >I just don't feel comfrotable with communicating my VISA card details
                  >over the Internet, period. Call me paranoid, but my brother had some
                  >pretty bad experience a few years ago (I forget which card he uses).

                  It's your right to feel that way of course, but let me give you an
                  example of the opposite: I had a bad experience with a bank transfer. If
                  the company in question had accepted a credit card payment I could
                  easily make a phonecall to revert it as I am insured automatically for
                  such occurances. My bank isn't that flexible...

                  ...just make sure that you stay away from shady payment processors :).
                  Companies like Kagi, Digibuy, Regsoft, etc have good privacy policies or
                  they'd be out of business... I'd much rather give them my credit card
                  details than an unknown guy in a restaurant for example :)

                  - Mark
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 3, 2005
                    On Sep 2, 2005, at 06:40, ask@... wrote:

                    > I just don't feel comfrotable with communicating my VISA card details
                    > over the Internet, period. Call me paranoid, but my brother had some
                    > pretty bad experience a few years ago (I forget which card he uses).
                    > As I said, so far I've always been able to purchase everything by
                    > logging onto my bank's webpages and making a direct money transfer
                    > to the seller's bank account, usually located here in Slovakia or
                    > elsewhere in the E.U., which means you need to pay no transfer fees.
                    > So if I could purchase EditPlus in a similar fashion, that would be
                    > great.

                    I understand perfectly, and it is your right to feel that way. I agree
                    with you, that's why I am very careful in where I use my Credit Card,
                    and I actually prefer paying by money order or bank cheque instead.
                    However, apart from convenience (which I really don't care much for),
                    the Credit Card has certain advantages, such as purchase guarantees and
                    fraud protection, so that if any transaction went wrong, you can
                    usually cancel or reverse it with a single call to your Credit Card
                    company. Stopping a cheque or starting a money-order fraud trace is
                    more complex and time consuming, and sometimes incur additional penalty
                    charges.

                    That said, you should still feel comfortable with the companies you are
                    dealing with. The reason I used Kagi was because I had heard good
                    things about them, they had a fairly good privacy policy, and real
                    contact information. But that was *my* decision, and I wouldn't impose
                    it on anybody else. I also cannot (and will not) offer any
                    reassurances or guarantees, beyond telling you that Kagi worked for me,
                    and I found them to be safe. Your mileage may vary.

                    > I'm not as careful as you in real life. 8-) I'm capable of buying
                    > a hot dog and paying with the credit card because I hate fiddling with
                    > coins and banknotes. 8-) I just don't feel comfortable with online
                    > purchase and so limit all online operations to my bank's webpages.

                    In that I am also careful. I despise consumer purchase tracking and
                    data mining; it makes me feel very uncomfortable, so I avoid using my
                    Credit Card for anything that is not necessary. I always pay in cash,
                    or by cheque and money orders. But this is a privacy thing. I do
                    agree with you that the risk of fraud is very much higher with online
                    purchases, and so it should be considered even more carefully.

                    > Any advice will be appreciated. If it can't be done in any other way,
                    > I'll probably pick DigiBuy's "Phone Credit Card" option (that's an
                    > additional $3) though I've no idea what exactly to expect from that.
                    > Will they call me, or should I call them? Do they sit in Korea or
                    > where? If they're halfway across the globe from me and a potentially
                    > prolonged phone call is charged to my account, that might make this
                    > license pretty expensive. ;-)

                    I suggest the following: Pay with money-order. Both DigiBuy and Kagi
                    offer cheque and money order payment options. I recommend using money
                    order over cheques, because it is anonymous, works just like cash, and
                    also, since your concern is to prevent fraud, cheques contain account
                    number and routing information that can be exploited, the same as a
                    credit card. Yet in case of fraud, a money-order can be traced and
                    cancelled. This way, you complete your order online, print the
                    confirmation, and submit it by postal mail, along with your money
                    order.

                    dZ.
                  • ask@avenarius.sk
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 3, 2005
                      On Saturday, 3rd September 2005 at 08:37:32 (GMT -0400), DZ-Jay wrote:

                      > I suggest the following: Pay with money-order. [...]

                      Thanks for your detailed comments and advice, dZ. Yes, money-orders
                      seem perfectly safe. But, at least here in Slovakia, they're also very
                      expensive if you want to pay someone abroad rather than in this country.
                      The rules and fees of course change all the time, this country joined
                      the E. U. 16 months ago and it seems impossible to keep track
                      of all the implications this has had in the world of banking. I'll talk
                      to my bank's hotline and to the post office on Monday to learn what's
                      the best option according to them. Depending on to whom a money-order
                      should be sent (EU? US? Korea?), one might end up with paying $30
                      to Sangil Kim and additional $20 or so for processing the payment!

                      --
                      Yours,