Show altered lines in reloaded file

  • gudgie
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 20, 2005
      Sometime many people can edit certain files, is there a option, or
      this could be a feature request.

      When you put the focus back onto EditPlus, if a open file has been
      edited out of the current EditPlus and dialog appears to "Reload file".

      Once reloaded you have no clear indentification if what has been
      altered from the previous saved/loaded file. Can a feature be put in
      to show the lines that have changed?

      Thanks
    • lists@dramatic.co.nz
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 20, 2005
        > Sometime many people can edit certain files, is there a option, or
        > this could be a feature request.
        >
        > When you put the focus back onto EditPlus, if a open file has been
        > edited out of the current EditPlus and dialog appears to "Reload file".
        >
        > Once reloaded you have no clear indentification if what has been
        > altered from the previous saved/loaded file. Can a feature be put in
        > to show the lines that have changed?

        That would require editplus to keep a local repositry of your edits
        (assuming the file you are editing is somewhere on a network) - If you
        face this issue regularly you really ought to look at installing version
        management software such as SVN or CVS on your network with clients such
        as tortoiseSVN or tortoiseCVS, which come with good diff tools and the
        ability to merge changes and resolve conflicts. I use editplus in an SVN
        environment.
      • gudgie
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 21, 2005
          --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, lists@d... wrote:

          > That would require editplus to keep a local repositry of your edits
          > (assuming the file you are editing is somewhere on a network) - If
          you
          > face this issue regularly you really ought to look at installing
          version
          > management software such as SVN or CVS on your network with clients
          such
          > as tortoiseSVN or tortoiseCVS, which come with good diff tools and
          the
          > ability to merge changes and resolve conflicts. I use editplus in
          an SVN
          > environment.

          Not a full blown diff managment, just on the files that are being
          reloaded.

          EditPlus has a copy of the file open, then when it reloads the file
          (if reload options "yes" selected) then EP could show what is
          different.

          Maybe like a system with the Find in Files, the split window at the
          bottom could list all the changes in the current file.
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 22, 2005
            On Jul 21, 2005, at 10:47, gudgie wrote:

            > Not a full blown diff managment, just on the files that are being
            > reloaded.
            >
            > EditPlus has a copy of the file open, then when it reloads the file
            > (if reload options "yes" selected) then EP could show what is
            > different.
            >
            > Maybe like a system with the Find in Files, the split window at the
            > bottom could list all the changes in the current file.

            I understand what you are requesting, and it sounds like a simple and
            easy thing to add. Unfortunately, its a bit complicated, since it
            involves scanning both files and comparing them, which in essence is a
            full blown diff operation. Currently, EditPlus only checks the
            timestamp of a file against the in-memory timestamp stored when the
            file was opened to "know" if it has changed. Note that it doesn't
            really know it has changed, except that the "Modified Date" changed.
            "Touch"ing the file (i.e. updating its timestamp) will induce EditPlus
            to prompt you if you want to reload the file.

            In the end, its a great idea, but I think that it will be better served
            by third-party add-ons, such as a User-Tool.

            That said, I would love for EditPlus to have hooks exposed for external
            diff programs, the same way it has for web browsers.

            dZ.
          • gudgie
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 22, 2005
              --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, DZ-Jay <dz@c...> wrote:

              > I understand what you are requesting, and it sounds like a simple
              and
              > easy thing to add. Unfortunately, its a bit complicated, since it
              > involves scanning both files and comparing them, which in essence
              is a
              > full blown diff operation. Currently, EditPlus only checks the
              > timestamp of a file against the in-memory timestamp stored when the
              > file was opened to "know" if it has changed. Note that it doesn't
              > really know it has changed, except that the "Modified Date"
              changed.
              > "Touch"ing the file (i.e. updating its timestamp) will induce
              EditPlus
              > to prompt you if you want to reload the file.
              >
              > In the end, its a great idea, but I think that it will be better
              served
              > by third-party add-ons, such as a User-Tool.
              >
              > That said, I would love for EditPlus to have hooks exposed for
              external
              > diff programs, the same way it has for web browsers.
              >
              > dZ.

              I just thought it wouldn't have been a big job, I am a coder, but
              would have no idea of the ammount of work involved, or how easy/hard
              it would be.

              I would have thought that EP could take a copy of the text in the open
              window. then do the reload and just do a line by line compare, if the
              lines dont match, then add an entry in the "Find in files" box.

              So not so much a character by character diff, just a line by line one.

              Do you work on EP dZ?

              Thanks for your comments.

              Paul.
            • Mark van Renswoude
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 22, 2005
                gudgie wrote:

                >So not so much a character by character diff, just a line by line one.

                Still, it has to be a bit more intelligent than that... if you insert a
                line, it has to detect when the similarities start again, which would be
                easy if it weren't for the fact that lines can be deleted/changed too...
                I implemented a diff once in PHP, it's definitely harder than it is for
                the human eye :)

                Anyways, I don't expect EditPlus to do that for me, I purchased ExamDiff
                for this very purpose... however, the idea in itself is very good I
                think, if EP could write the file as it's showing to a temporary file
                and launch a diff tool against the new version (lots of diff tools
                available, including free). I use Subversion myself too, but there are
                many situations where that's not an option... simple example; if you
                were to use EP to show a status/log-file, where it would make sense to
                get a diff...

                - Mark
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 22, 2005
                  gudgie wrote:
                  > So not so much a character by character diff, just a line by line one.
                  >
                  > Do you work on EP dZ?

                  No, I don't. And I honestly do not know how complex the task would be.
                  I'm just a programmer, like you. :)

                  But I do appreciate, for mostly the same reasons mentioned by Mark in
                  another post on this thread, that finding out what changed in a file can
                  be more involved than just comparing lines, since entire lines can be
                  removed, or blank lines introduced, which would cause a simple list of
                  lines changed to contain a lot of noise.

                  You do not need to go the heavy CVS route. You can use any diff program
                  to compare file versioning. I personally use BeyondCompare, and have it
                  set up to use EditPlus as its editor. That way, I can diff files
                  thoroughly, and when I want to edit them, I just right+click|edit and it
                  opens the file, on the highlighted line in EditPlus. But I know that
                  this does not really solve your originally problem.