File/Open list order?

  • tailing_loop2003
    Message 1 of 12 , May 22, 2005
      Hi,

      I have two different folders and each has scores of files in them. For
      both folders, the settings are such that the files are arranged by
      date: the most recent files are listed first.

      In EditPlus, if I click on File/Open and go to folder A, the files are
      listed by date with the most recent files listed first, which is what
      I like. However, if I click on File/Open and go to folder B, the files
      are listed in alphabetical order, which is not what I want. It's a
      pain in the butt to have to go hunting for the file in a lengthy
      alphabetical listing.

      My two directories are:

      C:\javaPrograms
      C:\My Documents\html

      The first one is the folder that EditPlus won't show arranged by
      date-even though they are arranged by date when I navigate to the
      folder outside of EditPlus. Does anyone know how to fix that?

      Thanks
    • Aleem Juma
      Message 2 of 12 , May 22, 2005
        [not really an editplus issue - it's a windows explorer thing]

        1. right-click in the list and select "Arrange Icons By" then
        "Modified"... that will order them in date order, earliest first
        2. if you want more control, click the rightmost button on the top of
        the dialog box to the right of the directory selection box, and select
        'Details'. you can then order the files however you like by clicking
        on the column headings.

        Aleem

        On 5/23/05, tailing_loop2003 <tailing_loop2003@...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I have two different folders and each has scores of files in them. For
        > both folders, the settings are such that the files are arranged by
        > date: the most recent files are listed first.
        >
        > In EditPlus, if I click on File/Open and go to folder A, the files are
        > listed by date with the most recent files listed first, which is what
        > I like. However, if I click on File/Open and go to folder B, the files
        > are listed in alphabetical order, which is not what I want. It's a
        > pain in the butt to have to go hunting for the file in a lengthy
        > alphabetical listing.
        >
        > My two directories are:
        >
        > C:\javaPrograms
        > C:\My Documents\html
        >
        > The first one is the folder that EditPlus won't show arranged by
        > date-even though they are arranged by date when I navigate to the
        > folder outside of EditPlus. Does anyone know how to fix that?
        >
        > Thanks

      • tailing_loop2003
        Message 3 of 12 , May 22, 2005
          --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, Aleem Juma <aleem.juma@g...> wrote:
          > [not really an editplus issue - it's a windows explorer thing]
          >
          > 1. right-click in the list and select "Arrange Icons By" then
          > "Modified"... that will order them in date order, earliest first

          quoted from below:

          > > I have two different folders and each has
          > > scores of files in them. For
          > > both folders, the settings are such that the files are arranged by
          > > date: the most recent files are listed first.

          Anybody else?

          > On 5/23/05, tailing_loop2003 <tailing_loop2003@y...> wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I have two different folders and each has scores of files in
          them. For
          > > both folders, the settings are such that the files are arranged by
          > > date: the most recent files are listed first.
          > >
          > > In EditPlus, if I click on File/Open and go to folder A, the
          files are
          > > listed by date with the most recent files listed first, which is
          what
          > > I like. However, if I click on File/Open and go to folder B, the
          files
          > > are listed in alphabetical order, which is not what I want. It's
          > > pain in the butt to have to go hunting for the file in a lengthy
          > > alphabetical listing.
          > >
          > > My two directories are:
          > >
          > > C:\javaPrograms
          > > C:\My Documents\html
          > >
          > > The first one is the folder that EditPlus won't show arranged by
          > > date-even though they are arranged by date when I navigate to the
          > > folder outside of EditPlus. Does anyone know how to fix that?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >

          > > http://www.editplus.com
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • sn0wdon
          Message 4 of 12 , May 23, 2005
            --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "tailing_loop2003"
            <tailing_loop2003@y...> wrote:

            > Anybody else?

            For file management I don't use the Directory window in EditPlus(or
            File/Open) .. but instead use Total Commander from
            http://www.ghisler.com ..

            Then in Total Commander > Configuration > Edit/View .. associate
            EditPlus with files selected in Total Commander.

            right click on file to select and F4 to open in EditPlus.

            I find that this is a very useful combination of tools.

            I have identified EditPlus as a user tool in Total Commander .. and
            vice versa.
          • Michael L. Jones
            Message 5 of 12 , May 23, 2005
              As someone already noted, this is controlled by the Windows File open
              dialog box, not EditPlus. In your case, change the view to "Details,"
              then click on the "Date Modified" column once or twice to get
              descending date order.

              Note that Windows will remember the view order setting for each folder
              individually, if you tell it to. That's why the folders are ordered
              differently. The same thing happens in Windows Explorer.

              In Windows Explorer, go to Tools|Folder Options|View and look for
              "Remember each folder's view settings."

              <tailing_loop2003@y...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > I have two different folders and each has scores of files in them.
              For
              > both folders, the settings are such that the files are arranged by
              > date: the most recent files are listed first.
              >
              > In EditPlus, if I click on File/Open and go to folder A, the files
              are
              > listed by date with the most recent files listed first, which is
              what
              > I like. However, if I click on File/Open and go to folder B, the
              files
              > are listed in alphabetical order, which is not what I want. It's a
              > pain in the butt to have to go hunting for the file in a lengthy
              > alphabetical listing.
              >
              > My two directories are:
              >
              > C:\javaPrograms
              > C:\My Documents\html
              >
              > The first one is the folder that EditPlus won't show arranged by
              > date-even though they are arranged by date when I navigate to the
              > folder outside of EditPlus. Does anyone know how to fix that?
              >
              > Thanks
            • tailing_loop2003
              Message 6 of 12 , May 24, 2005
                --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Michael L. Jones" <mljones1947@y...>
                wrote:
                > As someone already noted, this is controlled by the Windows File
                open
                > dialog box, not EditPlus. In your case, change the view to
                "Details,"
                > then click on the "Date Modified" column once or twice to get
                > descending date order.

                Just curious, what did you interpret these lines of my post to mean?

                1)
                I have two different folders and each has scores of files in them.
                For both folders, the settings are such that the files are arranged by
                date: the most recent files are listed first.

                2)
                C:\javaPrograms
                C:\My Documents\html

                The first one is the folder that EditPlus won't show arranged by
                date-even though they are arranged by date when I navigate to the
                folder outside of EditPlus.

                > Note that Windows will remember the view order setting for each
                folder
                > individually, if you tell it to. That's why the folders are ordered
                > differently. The same thing happens in Windows Explorer.
                >
                > In Windows Explorer, go to Tools|Folder Options|View and look for
                > "Remember each folder's view settings."
                >
                > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "tailing_loop2003"
                > <tailing_loop2003@y...> wrote:
                > > Hi,
                > >
                > > I have two different folders and each has scores of files in them.
                > For
                > > both folders, the settings are such that the files are arranged by
                > > date: the most recent files are listed first.
                > >
                > > In EditPlus, if I click on File/Open and go to folder A, the files
                > are
                > > listed by date with the most recent files listed first, which is
                > what
                > > I like. However, if I click on File/Open and go to folder B, the
                > files
                > > are listed in alphabetical order, which is not what I want. It's
                > > pain in the butt to have to go hunting for the file in a lengthy
                > > alphabetical listing.
                > >
                > > My two directories are:
                > >
                > > C:\javaPrograms
                > > C:\My Documents\html
                > >
                > > The first one is the folder that EditPlus won't show arranged by
                > > date-even though they are arranged by date when I navigate to the
                > > folder outside of EditPlus. Does anyone know how to fix that?
                > >
                > > Thanks
              • Aleem Juma
                Message 7 of 12 , May 24, 2005
                  The line I was focusing on was

                  "if I click on File/Open and..."

                  By clicking File -> Open, you are passing control from EditPlus over
                  to Windows Explorer, albeit in a dialog window. Thus, the second
                  statement you wanted to draw attention to:

                  > The first one is the folder that EditPlus won't show arranged by
                  > date-even though they are arranged by date when I navigate to the
                  > folder outside of EditPlus.

                  doesn't make sense as EditPlus is not in control of how these files
                  are being displayed.
                  Personally I'd suggest resetting your folder settings if you're having trouble.
                  In Windows Explorer (Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab -> Reset All Folders)

                • Michael L. Jones
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 25, 2005
                    My bad. I didn't test my response before posting it.

                    Having said that, I can't get EditPlus to EVER display files by date
                    modified when the File Open dialog box is initially opened. Either you
                    have a magic copy, or I have a defective one <g>. Or, maybe I'm the
                    defective one?

                    <tailing_loop2003@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Michael L. Jones"
                    <mljones1947@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > As someone already noted, this is controlled by the Windows File
                    > open
                    > > dialog box, not EditPlus. In your case, change the view to
                    > "Details,"
                    > > then click on the "Date Modified" column once or twice to get
                    > > descending date order.
                    > >

                    > Just curious, what did you interpret these lines of my post to mean?
                    >
                    > 1)
                    > I have two different folders and each has scores of files in them.
                    > For both folders, the settings are such that the files are arranged
                    by
                    > date: the most recent files are listed first.
                    >
                    > 2)
                    > C:\javaPrograms
                    > C:\My Documents\html
                    >
                    > The first one is the folder that EditPlus won't show arranged by
                    > date-even though they are arranged by date when I navigate to the
                    > folder outside of EditPlus.
                    >

                    > > Note that Windows will remember the view order setting for each
                    > folder
                    > > individually, if you tell it to. That's why the folders are
                    ordered
                    > > differently. The same thing happens in Windows Explorer.
                    > >
                    > > In Windows Explorer, go to Tools|Folder Options|View and look for
                    > > "Remember each folder's view settings."
                    > >
                    > > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "tailing_loop2003"
                    > > <tailing_loop2003@y...> wrote:
                    > > > Hi,
                    > > >
                    > > > I have two different folders and each has scores of files in
                    them.
                    > > For
                    > > > both folders, the settings are such that the files are arranged
                    by
                    > > > date: the most recent files are listed first.
                    > > >
                    > > > In EditPlus, if I click on File/Open and go to folder A, the
                    files
                    > > are
                    > > > listed by date with the most recent files listed first, which is
                    > > what
                    > > > I like. However, if I click on File/Open and go to folder B, the
                    > > files
                    > > > are listed in alphabetical order, which is not what I want.
                    It's
                    > > > pain in the butt to have to go hunting for the file in a lengthy
                    > > > alphabetical listing.
                    > > >
                    > > > My two directories are:
                    > > >
                    > > > C:\javaPrograms
                    > > > C:\My Documents\html
                    > > >
                    > > > The first one is the folder that EditPlus won't show arranged by
                    > > > date-even though they are arranged by date when I navigate to
                    the
                    > > > folder outside of EditPlus. Does anyone know how to fix that?
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks
                  • Aleem Juma
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 25, 2005
                      Try this: (note - untested method but worth a shot I think)

                      1. In Windows Explorer, reset your folder settings
                      (Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab -> Reset All Folders) [don't click OK yet]
                      and while you're still in the Folder Options dialog deselect the
                      'Remember each folder's view settings' check box in the list below.

                      2. Reboot (sometimes I like repeating this step a few times, just to
                      make sure 'Sin'dows gets the friggin message -- well, ok, I suppose
                      more to give me time to breathe deeply)

                      Options' dialog again and re-check the aforementioned check box.

                      3 1/2. (optional) Reboot again

                      4. Go to the directory you want ordered, and order it the way you
                      want. Hopefully Explorer will remember it this time and when it
                      displayes it in EditPlus or whatever program, it should order it like
                      you wanted.

                      Don't worry - I've also had trouble with Explorer not remembering how
                      I like my files ordered (with a side of onion rings) so I've just set
                      Explorer NOT to bother trying to remember each folder's settings. And
                      I thought *I* had a bad memory....

                      Enjoy

                      Aleem

                    • tailing_loop2003
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 27, 2005
                        Hi,

                        > 4. Go to the directory you want ordered, and order it the way you
                        > want. Hopefully Explorer will remember it this time and when it
                        > displayes it in EditPlus or whatever program, it should order it
                        like
                        > you wanted.

                        I hate to beat a dead horse, but my problem is *not* that Explorer
                        won't remember my folder settings. There seems to be some kind of
                        communication problem in this thread, and I'm unsure how I can correct
                        that. If anyone else can point out the ambiguity or where the
                        miscommunication is taking place, I would be grateful. In the
                        meantime, all I can try to do is repeat my problem in a slightly
                        different way.

                        My folder settings are exactly how I want them: the two folders in
                        question have their files ordered by date. If I start my pc and
                        navigate to both the folders in question, they are ordered by date,
                        they are always ordered by date, and they stay ordered by date. So,
                        to be explicitly clear: the folders are ordered by date at all times.

                        Now, to my EditPlus problem. After I launch EditPlus by clicking on a
                        shortcut on my desktop, if I click on File/Open, and navigate to one
                        of the folders, which is named:

                        C:\javaPrograms

                        the files listed in the dialog box are displayed in alphabetical
                        order--not by date. I would like them to be displayed by date--just
                        like they are when I navigate to the folder outside of EditPlus. On
                        the other hand, if I'm in EditPlus and I click on File/Open and
                        navigate to the other folder, which is named:

                        C:\My Documents\html

                        the files listed in the dialog box *are* displayed by date, which is
                        what I want.

                        I did some tests and it seems that any sub folders inside C:\My
                        Documents will display their contents ordered by date inside the
                        EditPlus dialog box. However, none of the folders in the C:\
                        directory will display their contents ordered by date in the EditPlus
                        dialog box. Is there something special about the My Documents folder?

                        I also notice that inside EditPlus, on the left hand side window pane,
                        if I click on the Directory tab, and navigate to either of my folders,
                        EditPlus lists the files in the pane in alphabetical order--in this
                        case neither folder displays by date. So, it seems to me that
                        EditPlus is proactively doing something to reorder the files.

                        Finally, I tried your suggestion anyway, and there was no change in
                        the way EditPlus treated my two folders differently when displaying
                        them in the File/Open dialog box: one list of files was displayed
                        ordered by date and the other list of files was displayed
                        alphabetically.

                      • Aleem Juma
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 27, 2005
                          I am sorry that didn't shed any more light on your issue. I did
                          understand your problem correctly I think - you think EditPlus is to
                          blame - but with such an issue, I would tend to keep my eye on the
                          process in control at the time rather than the calling app, so I just
                          felt I should exhaust as many Windows Explorer solutions I could think
                          of before squaring the blame on EditPlus. I'm just supplying
                          suggestions from my point of view - feel free to ignore my posts if
                          you think they are unhelpful. Perhaps someone else might not.

                          I do understand that you feel EditPlus is the culprit but I can think
                          of one more Explorer-related finger to point, and that's at the
                          "Common Dialog" dialog box itself. Do these folders still display in
                          date order when viewed from the "Open" dialog box from within other
                          applications? I do get that the anomalous view is visible from
                          EditPlus and not from Windows Explorer but what about when clicking
                          File -> Open from, say, Notepad?
                          If so, then your issue is with those "Common Dialogs" (comdlg32.dll).
                          If not, then I'm sorry I wasted your time and perhaps someone else can
                          suggest options to do with EditPlus.

                          Aleem

                        • sn0wdon
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 30, 2005
                            <tailing_loop2003@y...> wrote:
                            > Hi,
                            >
                            > > 4. Go to the directory you want ordered, and order it the way you
                            > > want. Hopefully Explorer will remember it this time and when it
                            > > displayes it in EditPlus or whatever program, it should order it
                            > like
                            > > you wanted.
                            >
                            > I hate to beat a dead horse, but my problem is *not* that Explorer
                            > won't remember my folder settings.

                            Being curious, I used FileMon from http://www.sysinternals.com to
                            monitor what dll's are executed as File/Open is applied in
                            EditPlus ..

                            seems that systems32/browseui.dll is launched .. not inside
                            EditPlus ..

                            here is a Microsoft note on incorrectly sorted files

                            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q233526/

                            perhaps your registry needs to be reset to default?