BUG?!? in autocomplete

  • Roomet Kirotarp
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2005
      I just updated my Editplus to last patch version v2.12(183).
      Now when in php I try to press ENTER after autocomplete phrase editplus
      will run autocomplete again and I cant get anyway to new line :(

      Ex:
      $arr = array(

      In end of this line when press ENTER I get on every key press closing
      ')', and doesnt enter new line!

      This is very annoying! To new line I get only pressing SHIFT+ENTER.

      ______________________
      English is my second language ... :)
    • jaguarcy
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 25, 2005
        My problem with autocomplete, is that it autocompletes even if the
        word entered is a variable name. (i.e. it autocompletes $array to
        $array(^!) also). To get around that, you can just hit the undo
        shortcut key (ctrl-z on my computer) as soon as the autocomplete happens.

        This will get around your problem as well. I.e. when you hit enter and
        editplus autocompletes to the same line for the second time, hitting
        'ctrl-z' will remove the autocomplete and restore the new line.

        This is a very annoying workaround though. There has to be a way to
        disable autocomplete on variable names (or whenever the autocomplete
        word is prefixed by certain characters).. and maybe an option to turn
        autocomplete on 'enter' off???

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 25, 2005
          Roomet Kirotarp wrote:

          > I just updated my Editplus to last patch version v2.12(183).
          > Now when in php I try to press ENTER after autocomplete phrase editplus
          > will run autocomplete again and I cant get anyway to new line :(
          >
          > Ex:
          > $arr = array(
          >
          > In end of this line when press ENTER I get on every key press closing
          > ')', and doesnt enter new line!
          >
          > This is very annoying! To new line I get only pressing SHIFT+ENTER.

          This is not a bug. Its annoying as fscking hell, but not a bug. I
          reported it as a bug a few weeks back when I first noticed it, and he
          replied saying that it was done by design: ENTER is considered
          whitespace, and so it triggers auto-complete. I told him that it
          annoyed the hell out of me and if there was a way to disable it, and he
          only replied that I can just use SHIFT+ENTER. I'm not happy, but I hope
          he adds this as an option in a future version.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 25, 2005
            jaguarcy wrote:

            > My problem with autocomplete, is that it autocompletes even if the
            > word entered is a variable name. (i.e. it autocompletes $array to
            > $array(^!) also). To get around that, you can just hit the undo
            > shortcut key (ctrl-z on my computer) as soon as the autocomplete happens.

            <!SNIP!>

            Now, that's even more annoying!! But this behaviour is, I'm sure, a bug,
            as I don't see a reason why you would like to autocomplete code, which
            is basically functions and keywords, when you type a variable. You
            might want to tell the developer about it (I know I will). Like I said
            before, I hope he sets this as an option in a future version, and with
            so many complaints, I don't see why not. He's pretty diligent with
            user's feedback.

            (As an example, when he added the "delete directory" option, it didn't
            have any notification in case you clicked it by mistake, and it depended
            on the Recycle Bin to save you in such cases. But after a few requests
            from users like me that didn't use the recycle bin, but found the
            feature too easy to click by mistake -- the hard way -- it now has a
            popup dialog asking you to confirm before irrevocably deleting the
            directory with all its files and subdirectories.)