Re: [edit+] Re: Find Capitalized Words

  • Christoph Päper
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
      *John Morse* <john_morse@...>:

      > Thanks for this Chris.

      You're American, right?

      > I know some, but some things just stump me, I figured out how to find
      > one capitalized word on my own, but i couldn't figure out how to get
      > it to only find more than one instance.

      So it's probably just a lack of experience and/or creativity.

      > Do you have a good reference that you could recommend to me?

      I'm of the trial-and-error autodidactic kind, but O'Reilly books, as
      already recommended, are usually quite good, if not the best available. I
      tried to summarize what EditPlus does support and what it does not in the
      wiki: <http://www.editplus.info/index.php/Regular_Expressions>. (Btw.,
      does the maintainer of the wiki not know how to get rid of that
      "index.php" part?)

      > But I've also noticed that Edit+'s regex don't usually work with
      > UltraEdit, or NoteTabPro, or Funduc Search and Replace.

      Not the other way around? EditPlus's RegEx support is rather limited
      (sadly), I don't think other editors are even more handicapped (other than
      not having RegEx support at all).
    • Justin Watt
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
        > (Btw., does the maintainer of the wiki not know how to get rid of that
        > "index.php" part?)

        I tried implementing the rewrite rules at the URL below (which is
        apparently out of date) with little success. I'll try again. Christoph,
        please let me know if you have any pointers or experience with this. I'm
        running the latest stable version of mediawiki (1.3.9).

        http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Rewrite_Rules

        Thanks,
        Justin
      • John Morse
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
          Christoph> You're American, right?

          Yep! I know, we are lazy, and spoiled.

          Christoph> Not the other way around? EditPlus's RegEx
          Christoph> support is rather limited
          Christoph> (sadly), I don't think other editors are even
          Christoph> more handicapped (other than
          Christoph> not having RegEx support at all).

          http://www.editpadpro.com/ is the only editor that I know of that
          allows regular perl 5 regex. I wish Edit+ had it!

          Thanks for your comments, I'll go the site you mentioned and look at
          the limitations.
        • Stevens, Timothy J. (LNG-ALB)
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
            You forgot fat, and apparently more polite on professional-oriented
            mailing lists than those from other countries ;)

            Christoph> Not the other way around? EditPlus's RegEx
            Christoph> support is rather limited
            Christoph> (sadly), I don't think other editors are even
            Christoph> more handicapped (other than
            Christoph> not having RegEx support at all).

            http://www.editpadpro.com/ is the only editor that I know of that
            allows regular perl 5 regex. I wish Edit+ had it!

            Thanks for your comments, I'll go the site you mentioned and look at
            the limitations.

            http://www.editplus.com
            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Christoph Päper
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
              *Justin Watt* <jwatt@...>:

              > I tried implementing the rewrite rules at the URL below (which is
              > apparently out of date) with little success. I'll try again.
              >
              > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Rewrite_Rules

              I've never installed MediaWiki myself, but I guess the ' in the following
              three lines of LocalSettings.php should be ", because otherwise the
              variable is not resolved:

              $wgRedirectScript = '$wgScriptPath/redirect.php';
              $wgStyleSheetPath = '$wgScriptPath/stylesheets';
              $wgUploadPath = '$wgScriptPath/images';

              The rest looks okay (on a rather quick glance).

              As <http://www.editplus.info/wiki/Regular_Expressions> works, but
              <http://www.editplus.info/Regular_Expressions> doesn't, and the generated
              link is <http://www.editplus.info/index.php/Regular_Expressions>, I assume
              you have more or less applied the example rules given for .htaccess. You
              didn't apply the "only needed for backwards compatibility" part, whereof
              maybe

              RewriteRule ^/index.php/(.*)$ http://your.domain.tld/$1 [R,L]
              or
              RewriteRule ^/index.php/(.*)$ http://your.domain.tld/wiki/$1 [R,L]

              is enough. You then would have to get MediaWiki to generate the correct
              links¹, which is done in LocalSettings.php, as it seems. I don't know
              exactly what to put there, maybe it's just

              $wgScriptPath = "/wiki";

              ¹ What you want actually,
              <http://www.editplus.info/wiki/Regular_Expressions> or
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 8, 2005
                I spent some time tonight hacking mod_rewrite directives in Apache. so
                that the wiki now has pretty URLs like this:

                http://www.editplus.info/Main_Page

                the oldstyle URLs still work:

                http://www.editplus.info/index.php/Main_Page

                as do the old-school query-string style ones:

                http://www.editplus.info/index.php?title=Main_Page

                The special pages and the search functions both appear to be working fine,
                but people let me know if you have any problems. Mozilla users may have to
                clear their cash (or do a Shift+Reload) to see the new URLs throughout the
                site.

                Justin
              • Justin Watt
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 8, 2005
                  of course by cash i meant cache. hehe. mod_rewrite will do that to ya.

                  --justin