Re: [edit+] Re: Editplus Linux

  • Waccoon
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 16, 2004
      > >What's a win32 emulator? I want to get my pc set up for php again. I
      > >lost my php4 installation due to a drive failure, and reading the
      > >literature about getting php set up in win98 is daunting. It was
      > >suggested I install Debain Linux(free), but I still wanted to able to
      > >use EditPlus, and I was told to try a Linux editor instead.
      >
      > I ran PHP on Apache under Windows (2000 & XP, get rid of 98 as soon as
      > you can indeed :)), then got a dedicated server machine running Debian
      > with Apache/PHP too... Debian's quite easy when you install default
      > stuff (which of course I didn't), but there's no way it's easier to do
      > than Windows, especially if you have no prior Linux knowledge... and the
      > desktop environment isn't that great too imo (since I run it as a server
      > only, command line's all I got). So my advice too is; get an NT-based
      > Windows and go with that...

      Running the PHP interpreter on Win98 isn't that difficult, but getting
      any decent web server to work is unthinkable. Win2K, what I use, is the
      best OS for running Apache, but it's still expensive. XP Home should be
      good enough for testing, but I don't know since everyone I know has XP Pro.

      PHP on Windows is a great way to go since it handles all the annoying OS
      stuff for you. Perl is much, much more closely intertwined with UNIX, so if
      you wanted to write Perl, I'd go with Linux. Just whatever you do, don't
      use Microsoft's IIS web server. It sucks, and getting PHP working with it
      is next to impossible.

      Every serious developer should have Linux running on an old, obsolete
      machine just so you know what's available and you can try stuff out, but
      with Apache, mySQL, PHP, Perl, and EditPlus2 on Windows, I really never use
      my Linux box. If you get Perl running with Apache, you'll likely not be
      using the command prompt, either.

      Then again, I do web development where testing with IE is a must. I
      assume you're doing the same if you're using PHP.

      -- Marc Leveille
    • Dean Householder
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 22, 2004
        If you want a very simple install of Apache, PHP, MySQL, PostgreSQL,
        Perl, phpMyAdmin, FileZilla FTP Server and many others for Windows, try:
        http://www.apachefriends.org/

        It is a single executable that will install and configure all of the
        above-mentioned technologies and let you run them only when you want.
        It is free and well maintained with the latest versions of each. It
        will also allow you to switch between PHP 4 and PHP 5 for development
        cross-version testing.

        Good luck.
        Dean