Editplus Linux

  • gitmensch
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 30, 2004
      Dear sir/madam,

      Are there any Linux ports of Editplus2 available?
      If not, will there in the future be a Linux port?

      Sincerely,
      Wouter van der Meel
    • weijun huang
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 31, 2004
        i dont know what you are saying , i have no knowledge in linux software.
        go editplus.com for help!!
        a chinese guy :Alan

        h@...> wrote:

        Dear sir/madam,

        Are there any Linux ports of Editplus2 available?
        If not, will there in the future be a Linux port?

        Sincerely,
        Wouter van der Meel

        http://www.editplus.com

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Strong
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
          Hello gitmensch,

          in linux i usually use vi.

          Best regards,

          >Dear sir/madam,
          >

          >Are there any Linux ports of Editplus2 available?
          >
          >If not, will there in the future be a Linux port?
          >

          >Sincerely,
          >
          >Wouter van der Meel

          >http://www.editplus.com

          >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          >click here http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1293hor3a/M=315388.5543473.6613715.3001176/D=groups/S=1705351788:HM/EXP=1099279885/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2/*https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21004SS
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

          Strong
          strong@...
          2004-11-02
          ------------------PeRsOnAl InFoRmAtIoN---------------------
          Strong D WAP站(http://wap.strongd.net:81)
          正式同大家 面喇.. ���大家提供完全免��WAP服�..
          包括游戏下载,图片下载,铃声下载,留言簿等 .
          以后��有更多..更有趣�服务 ...
          --------------------EnD InFoNmAtIoN-------------------------
        • neil_mcleish
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
            I agree, a Linux port would be good.

            I have used Editplus through Wine on SUSE8 Professional and it worked
            fine except for the ftp & browse functionality as there was an OLE
            registration problem. However, for local system editing, it was fine.

            Vim is good too but for those who haven't used it before, to get to a
            'second nature' level, the learning curve is very steep.

            Neil.

            Service http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/.

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 8, 2004
              Some time around 10/30/2004 11:24:12, I think I heard gitmensch say:
              > Dear sir/madam,

              > Are there any Linux ports of Editplus2 available?

              No.

              > If not, will there in the future be a Linux port?

              I don't think so.

              But why would you want an EditPlus port? In Linux there are plenty of text editors that are comparable or better. Give a try to EMACS or VIM.

              -dZ.

              --
              :[ DZ vs. THE WORLD]==- -- - -

              Hating anything, everything and everyone since 1996.
              --
            • Sorin BRABETE
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 8, 2004
                DZ-Jay wrote:
                > But why would you want an EditPlus port? In Linux there are plenty of text editors that are comparable or better. Give a try to EMACS or VIM.

                Or quanta+ :)

                --
                Best Regards,
                Sorin BRABETE

                (+4) 0788570527
                sorin@...

                http://www.softpedia.com
              • Aleem Juma
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 8, 2004
                  how about a workaround...
                  use a win32 emulator like WINE and run it in that
                  then you can run all your favourite windows programs in linux -
                  editplus, freecell, minesweeper... well that's my complete list
                  anyway... :)

                  Aleem

                  On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 21:54:14 +0200, Sorin BRABETE <sorin@...> wrote:

                  > DZ-Jay wrote:
                  > > But why would you want an EditPlus port? In Linux there are plenty of text editors that are comparable or better. Give a try to EMACS or VIM.
                  >
                  > Or quanta+ :)
                  >

                  > > -dZ.
                  > >

                  > --
                  > Best Regards,
                  > Sorin BRABETE
                  > Lead developer
                  > SC SoftNews NET SRL
                  >
                  > (+4) 0788570527
                  > sorin@...
                  >
                  > http://www.softpedia.com

                • tailing_loop2003
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 16, 2004
                    --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, Aleem Juma <aleem.juma@g...> wrote:
                    > how about a workaround...
                    > use a win32 emulator like WINE and run it in that
                    > then you can run all your favourite windows programs in linux -
                    > editplus, freecell, minesweeper... well that's my complete list
                    > anyway... :)

                    What's a win32 emulator? I want to get my pc set up for php again. I
                    lost my php4 installation due to a drive failure, and reading the
                    literature about getting php set up in win98 is daunting. It was
                    suggested I install Debain Linux(free), but I still wanted to able to
                    use EditPlus, and I was told to try a Linux editor instead.

                    > Aleem
                    >

                    > On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 21:54:14 +0200, Sorin BRABETE <sorin@s...>
                    wrote:

                    > > DZ-Jay wrote:
                    > > > But why would you want an EditPlus port? In Linux there are
                    plenty of text editors that are comparable or better. Give a try to
                    EMACS or VIM.

                    > > Or quanta+ :)
                    > >

                    > > > -dZ.
                    > > >

                    > > --
                    > > Best Regards,
                    > > Sorin BRABETE
                    > > Lead developer
                    > > SC SoftNews NET SRL
                    > >
                    > > (+4) 0788570527
                    > > sorin@s...
                    > >
                    > > http://www.softpedia.com
                    > >

                    > > http://www.editplus.com
                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Aleem Juma
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 16, 2004
                      A Win32 emulator is a Linux/Unix program that allows you to run
                      Windows programs from a Unix-based operating system. Personally, as I
                      run a Windows machine myself, I don't know much about them other than
                      the fact of their existence.

                      I quoted 'Wine' as a win32 emulator. I got the name from searching
                      Google for "win32 emulator". In fact you can find a LOT on it (and
                      others) through Google - search for "win32 emulator wine" (without the
                      quotes) to get LOADS of info on Wine.

                      Alternatively you could set your PC up for a dual boot but since you
                      want to be running PHP and EditPlus at the same time, this wouldn't
                      help.

                      If you really MUST run PHP end EditPlus, I'd recommend moving back to
                      Windows. And for @!$#'s sake upgrade to XP! Otherwise you're faced
                      with an overwhelming decision: spend ages setting up PHP and be able
                      to use a great editing program vs. a quick and easy PHP installation
                      but endless frustration while coding... Maybe it's worth the initial
                      effort! :-p

                      Aleem

                      On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 01:40:22 -0000, tailing_loop2003
                      <tailing_loop2003@...> wrote:

                      > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, Aleem Juma <aleem.juma@g...> wrote:
                      > > how about a workaround...
                      > > use a win32 emulator like WINE and run it in that
                      > > then you can run all your favourite windows programs in linux -
                      > > editplus, freecell, minesweeper... well that's my complete list
                      > > anyway... :)
                      > >

                      > What's a win32 emulator? I want to get my pc set up for php again. I
                      > lost my php4 installation due to a drive failure, and reading the
                      > literature about getting php set up in win98 is daunting. It was
                      > suggested I install Debain Linux(free), but I still wanted to able to
                      > use EditPlus, and I was told to try a Linux editor instead.

                    • M. van Renswoude
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 16, 2004
                        >What's a win32 emulator? I want to get my pc set up for php again. I
                        >lost my php4 installation due to a drive failure, and reading the
                        >literature about getting php set up in win98 is daunting. It was
                        >suggested I install Debain Linux(free), but I still wanted to able to
                        >use EditPlus, and I was told to try a Linux editor instead.

                        I ran PHP on Apache under Windows (2000 & XP, get rid of 98 as soon as
                        you can indeed :)), then got a dedicated server machine running Debian
                        with Apache/PHP too... Debian's quite easy when you install default
                        stuff (which of course I didn't), but there's no way it's easier to do
                        than Windows, especially if you have no prior Linux knowledge... and the
                        desktop environment isn't that great too imo (since I run it as a server
                        only, command line's all I got). So my advice too is; get an NT-based
                        Windows and go with that...

                        Mark
                      • Waccoon
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 16, 2004
                          > >What's a win32 emulator? I want to get my pc set up for php again. I
                          > >lost my php4 installation due to a drive failure, and reading the
                          > >literature about getting php set up in win98 is daunting. It was
                          > >suggested I install Debain Linux(free), but I still wanted to able to
                          > >use EditPlus, and I was told to try a Linux editor instead.
                          >
                          > I ran PHP on Apache under Windows (2000 & XP, get rid of 98 as soon as
                          > you can indeed :)), then got a dedicated server machine running Debian
                          > with Apache/PHP too... Debian's quite easy when you install default
                          > stuff (which of course I didn't), but there's no way it's easier to do
                          > than Windows, especially if you have no prior Linux knowledge... and the
                          > desktop environment isn't that great too imo (since I run it as a server
                          > only, command line's all I got). So my advice too is; get an NT-based
                          > Windows and go with that...

                          Running the PHP interpreter on Win98 isn't that difficult, but getting
                          any decent web server to work is unthinkable. Win2K, what I use, is the
                          best OS for running Apache, but it's still expensive. XP Home should be
                          good enough for testing, but I don't know since everyone I know has XP Pro.

                          PHP on Windows is a great way to go since it handles all the annoying OS
                          stuff for you. Perl is much, much more closely intertwined with UNIX, so if
                          you wanted to write Perl, I'd go with Linux. Just whatever you do, don't
                          use Microsoft's IIS web server. It sucks, and getting PHP working with it
                          is next to impossible.

                          Every serious developer should have Linux running on an old, obsolete
                          machine just so you know what's available and you can try stuff out, but
                          with Apache, mySQL, PHP, Perl, and EditPlus2 on Windows, I really never use
                          my Linux box. If you get Perl running with Apache, you'll likely not be
                          using the command prompt, either.

                          Then again, I do web development where testing with IE is a must. I
                          assume you're doing the same if you're using PHP.

                          -- Marc Leveille
                        • Dean Householder
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 22, 2004
                            If you want a very simple install of Apache, PHP, MySQL, PostgreSQL,
                            Perl, phpMyAdmin, FileZilla FTP Server and many others for Windows, try:
                            http://www.apachefriends.org/

                            It is a single executable that will install and configure all of the
                            above-mentioned technologies and let you run them only when you want.
                            It is free and well maintained with the latest versions of each. It
                            will also allow you to switch between PHP 4 and PHP 5 for development
                            cross-version testing.

                            Good luck.
                            Dean